Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought my Niro back in August of 2019 and first upgrade i wanted to do was upgrade the map in OEM navi system. when i looked it up last summer, it was $125+$25 for SD+$10 shipping. not bad of a price considering I pay $350 for Lexus update. since then, i have been tracking the new map release date. it is releasing twice a year during March/April and Sep/Oct. a month or so ago I read an article about KIA now offering free map updates for 7 years. yes, 7 years but I could not find the same article to share with the forum member and can’t recall if it started with 2019 model year or even older.

In any case, it cost me $25 for SD+$10 shipping. you will have to try by submitting your VIN number during check out. my old SD [v11] was older than what was last reference in the guide so bunch of things have been changed. i have attached the "changes" and pic of SD [v14] i had received. it took total of 20mins and it's 100% plug and play and the instruction that came with the SD seems to be out of date. 2017/18 have the same part number and 2019 has it's own #.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
Nah, I almost never use the car nav. With CarPlay, I use Waze, so no updates required. I recognize that not every car supports CarPlay/Android Auto. But for those that do, these over-priced nav updates are a waste of cash.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) yes, I do use Android Auto on most occasions and the update also includes latest Android and Apple CarPlay. not sure where you live/drive but in the city where there are lot of tall buildings, bridges, splitting intersections [NYC/Boston], Andorid auto just can't keep up like the oem NAVI. system updates also include color, sound options, and host of additional options besides the map. for me, $35 is worth every penny spent for just the system updates alone.

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
True, I am rarely in a large city, but that shouldn't impact the phone nav app any more than losing the GPS signal with the car set. And since most phone nav apps allow downloading the map for off-line use, keeping a cell signal isn't required.

But yes, $35 is pretty reasonable for such an update. Especially if it includes additional system updates as well. Subaru offered free update downloads for I believe two years (might have been 3), while VW sent me one free update DVD in thee mail for one of my cars. No update in the first year? Then too bad, no free update at all. :(

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Nah, I almost never use the car nav. With CarPlay, I use Waze, so no updates required. I recognize that not every car supports CarPlay/Android Auto. But for those that do, these over-priced nav updates are a waste of cash.
Every Niro does (this is a Niro forum after all). And almost every car sold in the country supports both major smartphone platforms with the exception of Toyota and Tesla.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Touring HEV
95 Posts
Every Niro does (this is a Niro forum after all). And almost every car sold in the country supports both major smartphone platforms with the exception of Toyota and Tesla.
And BMW, who only supports Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Most of Europe gets 7 years free upgrades, glad to see they are bringing it down to a reasonable price for the US.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most of Europe gets 7 years free upgrades, glad to see they are bringing it down to a reasonable price for the US.
I wonder if KIA had adopted this for the US? this will be cool since I tend to keep my car at least five years.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes, the version number is available on the console under Setup. While it's nice to see that the price has come down from the $150 or so that it was previously, I have a different concern. The installation instructions indicate that if the installed version is NA.11.41.52 or higher, then the update is just a map update, but otherwise it also includes software updates.

My 2018 has 11.41.51, so I would be getting the software updates. One of the software updates in the newest release is described this way:

Version 14.0 (13.41.42.xxx)-Connected routing (Server Based Routing or SBR)With SBR, when a customer inputs an address and presses Search, the route is computed in the cloud (server), rather than in the vehicle head unit (locally). The benefits include faster, more optimal, and accurate routing. Active connected services required.

This leaves me to wonder what happens when my complimentary UVO subscription expires. Will I lose the built in Navigation if I take the update? (Will I be forced to subscribe to UVO in order to keep navigation capability?)

They also point out that the map data is typically about a year old when they release an update. So if you're wanting the update in order to pick up recent road changes, you might want to wait for a year after the changes are complete before ordering the update.

I would be interested to hear what anyone's experience has been with the software updates.

·
Super Moderator
874 Posts
I'm sure the nav itself would work without UVO service. Most likely the search will revert to its internal database, or worst case the search won't work at all. But I could see a lawsuit if an update removed some function that was present when the car was purchased.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That occurred to me, but I don't have an easy way to test (would have to park in a tunnel or some place where there's no cell access) and even if I did, the documentation states that you can't back out updates.

Who would hire a lawyer when there are so many easier alternatives (like putting my old Garmin on the dashboard)? I wouldn't. But I really like having the built in nav. I just don't want to have to start paying a steep UVO subscription cost every year to be able to continue to use it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"computed in the cloud (server) " is a good thing? this is similar to what TomTom pay subscription does, provide latest information available. Map data does exist on SD so it's not solely relying on cloud server(s). update now also shows how many satellites are available at point and it typically shows 20-22 hence accuracy. Another advantage of built-in navi is even without the satellite, it will still work with the vehicle computer.

UVO is a totally an independent app/service.

Unlike Lexus/Toyota, KIA/Hyundai maps are release twice a year and software updates are good adaptation of the current infotainment system. i really like the new color theme on the screen and also on the dashboard on the small screen. Not sure if it's real or not but the USB music sounds better? Seems to have little more bass even in lower. I had also sent in a request to disable display option even when the engine is cycled. Right now, it will reset each time engine is cycled. Everything mention on the doc has been confirmed and I like the overall changes to the system. Small thing but I really like the album picture showing in the background as a wallpaper and the pic is also shows larger than before.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts