Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2020 Kia Niro EV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I recently purchased a 2020 Niro EV and planning a trip. Has anyone had any issues with not finding charging stations? Also what are the best apps for finding charging stations? Thanks.

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SE AWD, 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo.
162 Posts
We just got an Ioniq 5 EV. I like Plugshare, you can make routes, find charging stations and it graphs elevation and that's important when driving an EV. Going up a long pass can really cut down range. The main interstates seem to be will covered, but the state routes and highways can have gaps of several hundred miles. So check your route first or you may be stuck waiting overnight at a L2 charger at some hotel.

· Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
137 Posts
Hello Donna,

EV’s are addictive. It’s like setting a goal to only eat one Pringle.
It would help if you filled in your location in your profile. Then we can hold our mouse over your flag and your city pops up. Location affects a lot of decisions. Notice “ska bob” as the 3rd post. His flag lists “Roy WA.”
I wrote a blog of my trip from Idaho Falls to Las Vegas.

Have fun exploring!
-Barry

Reactions: Donna M

· Registered
2020 Kia Niro EV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Donna,

It would help if you filled in your location in your profile. Then we can hold our mouse over your flag and your city pops up. Location affects a lot of decisions. Notice “ska bob” as the 3rd post. His flag lists “Roy WA.”

Have fun exploring!
-Barry
I am loving my vehicle
Hello Donna,

Have fun exploring!
-Barry
Yes I am loving my vehicle. I did update my location. Thanks for letting me know to do that. I have explored some of the apps recommended and found where there are charging stations
Thanks

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
My advice is get as many apps as you can and learn to use them before starting on the trip.

ChargePoint. EVgo. Plugshare. ElectrifyAmerica. And the Kia Access app is pretty good too.

You'll need them all. Some use key cards you'll need in advance. Some use a internet connection from your cell phone. Some you can use a credit card. But it really is tough to be standing in front of a charger with no way to access it.

I was by a charger a few weeks ago that was Tesla only. It was free. So I bought myself a Tesla adapter just in case in the future.

Sometimes on a trip, you might have to drive some distance out of your way just to charge up. Especially out in the midwest. It might take planning. Good luck.

· Registered
2020 Kia Niro EV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My advice is get as many apps as you can and learn to use them before starting on the trip.

ChargePoint. EVgo. Plugshare. ElectrifyAmerica. And the Kia Access app is pretty good too.

You'll need them all. Some use key cards you'll need in advance. Some use a internet connection from your cell phone. Some you can use a credit card. But it really is tough to be standing in front of a charger with no way to access it.

I was by a charger a few weeks ago that was Tesla only. It was free. So I bought myself a Tesla adapter just in case in the future.

Sometimes on a trip, you might have to drive some distance out of your way just to charge up. Especially out in the midwest. It might take planning. Good luck.
Do you know which apps uses a key card ?
Thanks for you advice though

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,937 Posts
Blink and Chargepoint have RFID cards, and also phone apps that can be used. I think EVGo has an RFID card as well, and they too have an app. I know of some Level 2 Chargepoint stations at a local hospital that the RFID card readers don't work, but you can activate the station using the phone app.

Reactions: Donna M

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
Blink and Chargepoint have RFID cards, and also phone apps that can be used. I think EVGo has an RFID card as well, and they too have an app. I know of some Level 2 Chargepoint stations at a local hospital that the RFID card readers don't work, but you can activate the station using the phone app.
I just got a Chargepoint card (first one is free) and wow is that ever convenient. Fumbling with the app on the phone, especially where coverage is iffy... ugh. Much easier now with a tap of the card. There are even some chargers in a nearby town, some of which work only with the card (not the app).

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Thanks for pointing out Blink. I wasn't aware of that one. When I checked the website, they have a station near by. I haven't sen it in person though. I'm signing up for Blink, just in case.

Also, at the nearby hospital, the chargers a exclusively Tesla. Doctors like their Model S Ludicrous.

· Registered
2020 Kia Niro EV
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We just got an Ioniq 5 EV. I like Plugshare, you can make routes, find charging stations and it graphs elevation and that's important when driving an EV. Going up a long pass can really cut down range. The main interstates seem to be will covered, but the state routes and highways can have gaps of several hundred miles. So check your route first or you may be stuck waiting overnight at a L2 charger at some hotel.
Can you pay through the PlugShare app? I see you can add a payment method

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
I just ordered 2 new key cards for ChargePoint. $4.95 apiece. I also ordered one for EVgo. ElectrifyAmerica uses the app and a credit card reader that sometimes don't work.

You are better off creating your accounts on the computer, then download the app the phone and using it. Each one has different payment methods. Each one works differently depending on which charger your at.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Can you pay through the PlugShare app? I see you can add a payment method
I'm not sure but I think Plugshare is more of a locator app. I know that ChargePoint shares their chargers with EVgo, and you can use either login at each others stations. But you have to sign up for one or the other. Preferably both.

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
I'm not sure but I think Plugshare is more of a locator app. I know that ChargePoint shares their chargers with EVgo, and you can use either login at each others stations. But you have to sign up for one or the other. Preferably both.
So far I've used Plugshare as a general locator - including offline, often free chargers and to check in/report problems. It does also accept payment methods, though just in the phone app, not when logged in to their web site. My Plugshare app shows Google Pay as one method - not that I remember adding it though. :confused: If I recall, Plugshare's payment gateway works with Chargepoint and at least a few others. However, I prefer the Chargepoint app.

· Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
137 Posts
I just got a Chargepoint card (first one is free) and wow is that ever convenient. Fumbling with the app on the phone, especially where coverage is iffy... ugh. Much easier now with a tap of the card. There are even some chargers in a nearby town, some of which work only with the card (not the app).
Amen. Just tap with the card, wait for the OK, and then plug in. And it texted me billing notes. The first time in Jackson Hole (my avatar), I didn't have a card so I called Chargepoint and a nice lady turned on the machine for me and mailed me a free rfid card. If I don't mind the 30% extra wait, ChargePoint is a little cheaper than EA in my neck of the woods.
-Barry

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,937 Posts
To my knowledge PlugShare has no method of payment. It's solely used as a mapping app to locate stations. That said, I believe PlugShare is now owned by EVGo, so that might be a good or bad thing.

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,937 Posts
It does, and requires use of a phone app
How about that, learn something new every day. Of course, spotty is putting it mildly. If you filter only for CCS stations, there's one in PA, one in VA, one in FL, and a bunch in southern California. Not very useful. :LOL:

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I recently purchased a 2020 Niro EV and planning a trip. Has anyone had any issues with not finding charging stations? Also what are the best apps for finding charging stations? Thanks.
Great question, Donna. I have several different EV network apps loaded on my phone (EVGo, ChargePoint, Electrify America) and a couple apps that list multiple charger locations (PlugShare and ChargeHub). The right selection of apps for you probably depends a lot on your location, since we’ve found that different companies are more or less prevalent as you travel around. (We live in the San Francisco Bay Area but have driven only as far east as Salt Lake City. A year ago, driving across the entire state of NV, even along I-80, was a nail-biter. Finally, we’ve found that using Google Maps and searching for “EV chargers near me" often turns up locations of chargers more readily than any one of those apps alone. I’ll be interested I nearing others‘ experience on this critical qiestion.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
63 Posts
Chargepoint also lets you use your phones' NFC as a card. So you tap the phone and it activates. Handy when there is no cell signal for the app. Many will also roam on each other's network, like in the old days of cell service.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts