Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
What is NFC
Near-Field Communication. It's tech in many modern smart phones, used for very short-range (e.g. tap) data comms. If you have the Chargepoint app installed and your phone and OS supports NFC, you can lightly tap your phone on a spot on the station for authorization and to start a charge. I don't use that app+NFC method but understand it works the same as the free "tap to charge" card Chargepoint will send you on request. (Second and additional cards are $4.95/ea.)

More info here: Setting Up and Using Tap to Charge | ChargePoint

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
My EVgo card came today. New ChargePoint came last week. Blink card is on the way.

With my PHEV, I only carried ChargePoint to take advantage of the free charges at the mall and such. With my EV, I need to be fully prepared.

Wood Rectangle Font Material property Wood stain

· Registered
2022 Ioniq 5 SE AWD, 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo.
162 Posts
I think you can use the chargepoint or evgo cards at both stations, each one works with the other companies chargers. Having the rfid card does make it much easier, we had the CP card for our Niro PHEV to get free charging at all the same places and it's a lot quicker than using the app or NFC on a phone. Now we have an Ioniq 5 EV and the free charging is even more useful.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
63 Posts
I think you can use the chargepoint or evgo cards at both stations, each one works with the other companies chargers. Having the rfid card does make it much easier, we had the CP card for our Niro PHEV to get free charging at all the same places and it's a lot quicker than using the app or NFC on a phone. Now we have an Ioniq 5 EV and the free charging is even more useful.
I find I can use my phone as NFC card with Chargepoint, EV connect (roaming as Chargepoint) and EA. Greenlots/Shell recharge requires their own.

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,937 Posts
Unfortunately, I encounter many Chargepoint stations that have non-functional RIFD readers, so the app is the only way to activate those stations. And in every case I've encountered, they have been privately owned stations (not owned by Chargepoint themselves) so maintenance is questionable. I called the phone number listed on one of the stations more than a year ago, and nothing ever happened.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
63 Posts
Unfortunately, I encounter many Chargepoint stations that have non-functional RIFD readers, so the app is the only way to activate those stations. And in every case I've encountered, they have been privately owned stations (not owned by Chargepoint themselves) so maintenance is questionable. I called the phone number listed on one of the stations more than a year ago, and nothing ever happened.
what do you do if the station is also outside of cell service?

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,937 Posts
what do you do if the station is also outside of cell service?
Fortunately, that was never a problem. But if there were no service, the charging stations would be unusable without the RFID scanner working.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts