Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up my Gravity Blue EX Premium yesterday. Took my first long distance trip today to CA and back. 55 mpg two way average going 73 to 75mph on the highway. Only had my original full battery charge. No charging other than that for this trip.
Let's say I'm very impressed so far. Previous owner of two VW TDi wagons that got around 43mpg for the same trip. Still have our TDi Touareg (Wife's rig).

Glad I chose this over the Prius Prime because the back seat space is fantastic!!!!

Loving this vehicle so far. :D

Looking forward to learning a lot from others on the forums.
Cheers - Frank

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Awesome, Welcome to the club. I picked up mine a few days ago and love it. Ive been in the Plug-in game since 2012 (number of Nissan Leafs, and a VOLT, now the Niro PHEV) Im glad there are many more options now.

Check out Plugshare, not that Plug-in hybrids really need to rely on destination charging, it could help when you stop for food or hotels across the country to find EV (plug) friendly places.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome to the forum Frank and congrats on the new Niro! It's certainly got some impressive fuel economy considering its utility, and definitely a better candidate than the Prius.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes.
I've owned 4 Audi and 11 VW vehicles and I'm really happy with this vehicle choice.

Just did a trip to San Diego and back. Only charge was at home before leaving. 2 way average of 53mpg. Based on the car's computer. Keep getting more impressed. Getting a Level 2 charger installed at home today =D.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congrats Frank.

I have yet to take a long trip like that but have about 650 miles in short trips so mostly EV mode. Have more than 1/4 tank left and dash shows 165 mpg average. To me, the car is fun to drive. My previous adult cars have been 84 Civic sedan, 94 Saturn, 2006 Civic. So size is similar to what I am used to and I have always valued good mpg. It shocked me that my 2006 Civic got about the same mileage as my earlier cars. Better engine, automatic transmission, etc so not saying no improvements but still. I don't put lots of miles on my cars so it isn't so much cost. I just love that I am not spewing exhaust in city traffic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife has had her's for 4 months now here in North Carolina, we might have been one of the first 2-3 to get one here. She commutes 22mi RT to work where she has free Fast chargers, so most of the week she gets free mileage and on the weekend is where we have to plug in at home but the rates are non peak and about 1/2 the peak rates.
She has had several times i've see of 500+mpg on her dash. But even driving in pure hybrid mode it's still mid 40's mpg. Ours is the Premium package with all the bells and whistles.
She loves it compared to the Highlander Hybrid she had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts