Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, my name is Alyssa and I just bought a 2018 Niro LX about a month ago. I didn't do enough research and basically got sort of tricked into buying an LX at the top of my budget with none of the features I wanted because he threw a lot of info at me and made me think that the LX had some of the features. I'm already a few thousand upside down in the loan so I can't just trade in for an upgrade. Thought I'd join this forum to see if I could make the best of what I have

·
Super Moderator
981 Posts
Well, I'm sorry for that. But exactly what issues do you have with the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing, the car works fine. I just could have looked for a used EX for the same price, prob cheaper. I was looking into putting in aftermarket features

·
Super Moderator
981 Posts
Depending on the feature, it might be possible. Exactly what are you lacking you wanted?

·
Super Moderator
981 Posts
Power seat is driver only, so no passenger. I think the parking assist sensors can be added, perhaps aftermarket, perhaps OEM. Those are often added as a port or dealer install by other brands, so likely doable. Blind Spot Monitor would likely be a lot of work and expensive. Tough to say if it would be worth it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm surprised the dealer still has 2018 new models on the lot. hope it was under list price. Parking assist sensors, I believe was only an option on the EX but rear cross traffic alert was standard. The EX doesn't have power seat either as far as I can see, you need the touring or S touring for that. Canada website already has the 2020 listed but the US site is still showing the 2019. weird.

·
Super Moderator
981 Posts
Canadian model versions don't match the US versions. Makes no sense to me. Here, the HEV has 5 trims (FE, LX, EX, S Touring & Touring). The PHEV has LX, EX and EX Premium, while the BEV has EX and EX Premium. And even the same trim names don't mean they are equipped the same between the three different models. That's why it's so important to know where one is, and the exact model and trim of the car.

@Dancechica84 , please add your model and trim as a signature line in your profile, so we know exactly what you have. Also, was your car new when purchased, or a used/certified pre-owned?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Canadian model versions don't match the US versions. Makes no sense to me. Here, the HEV has 5 trims (FE, LX, EX, S Touring & Touring). The PHEV has LX, EX and EX Premium, while the BEV has EX and EX Premium. And even the same trim names don't mean they are equipped the same between the three different models. That's why it's so important to know where one is, and the exact model and trim of the car.

@Dancechica84 , please add your model and trim as a signature line in your profile, so we know exactly what you have. Also, was your car new when purchased, or a used/certified pre-owned?
I used the US site for my reply. I just confirmed that the Canadian site had the 20 model

·
Super Moderator
544 Posts
Of the requests listed... I am curious about some of them. I get the idea of blind spot warning.. or idiot lane change devices ( I have a friend who has them on his car but his wife does not. When he drives he just assumes they are there and will change lanes without thinking and take other cars out). I get they are a safety device, but I also fear that they make worse drivers out of people.

Then there is the parking assist. I don't know if this is what you see on TV where you expect the car to park itself. I own a 2018 EX and it has the rear camera and reverse sensors that beep when you are getting close to something. I do like them and find that they work well most times. Never his anyone but know they sometimes activate even though I know I am clear of hitting something when reversing. But those sensors are really easy to install aftermarket as is said.

Then you have the power seat. I have a power driver seat. I have used it for about a week to get the seat into the correct spot. Now I own my own car, and don't share it with a whole load of other people. So perhaps my thought is jaded to your reality. Do you have to adjust your seat that often?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an SX which is the top spec in Canada and it's just front and rear sensors. it's a not hitting things assist in reality.
Agree wholeheartedly re blind spot monitoring but you see so many people only use their mirrors when pulling out and totally miss that there's a car right in their rear quarter. My worry with these safety systems is when you have 2 cars. One with and one without and you get used to the former and then do something silly.

·
Super Moderator
981 Posts
By parking assist I believe the OP is simply referring to the front and rear proximity sensors, not any self-parking functionality. Kia doesn't have that, do they?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By parking assist I believe the OP is simply referring to the front and rear proximity sensors, not any self-parking functionality. Kia doesn't have that, do they?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to, they have different names. Thank you for the clarification

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Of the requests listed... I am curious about some of them. I get the idea of blind spot warning.. or idiot lane change devices ( I have a friend who has them on his car but his wife does not. When he drives he just assumes they are there and will change lanes without thinking and take other cars out). I get they are a safety device, but I also fear that they make worse drivers out of people.

Then there is the parking assist. I don't know if this is what you see on TV where you expect the car to park itself. I own a 2018 EX and it has the rear camera and reverse sensors that beep when you are getting close to something. I do like them and find that they work well most times. Never his anyone but know they sometimes activate even though I know I am clear of hitting something when reversing. But those sensors are really easy to install aftermarket as is said.

Then you have the power seat. I have a power driver seat. I have used it for about a week to get the seat into the correct spot. Now I own my own car, and don't share it with a whole load of other people. So perhaps my thought is jaded to your reality. Do you have to adjust your seat that often?
When I borrowed my parent's BMW, the minor seat adjustments were heaven on my back. It's a little better in the Niro, though, because of the 3rd lever that tilts it a bit and because there is more room. In my Prius I was either reaching for the gas pedal or my knees were almost bumping the steering wheel

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I've never had a power seat, but if I did, I suspect I would change the adjustment multiple times on a long trip no matter my local driving favorite position.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I borrowed my parent's BMW, the minor seat adjustments were heaven on my back. It's a little better in the Niro, though, because of the 3rd lever that tilts it a bit and because there is more room. In my Prius I was either reaching for the gas pedal or my knees were almost bumping the steering wheel
We have the power drivers seat in the touring we have , I drive about 80% of the time so I'm setting one my wife uses two works great our last car was a an old focus zx5 without power seat . On that car it seemed the manual adjustment was not precise enough, i usually felt too close or too far . We took a long trip back in 2017 down to Tennessee (9000 kilometers) all in. I probably moved that seat about ten times and i still wasn't happy i haven't tried the non powered niro out so i can't say but i really am liking the power drivers seat in the touring

1 - 16 of 16 Posts