Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased new tires since the Michelins were done. They almost lasted 65k. I replaced them with Nexen Aria AH7 since there were other tires brands that I have never heard of and because the Michelins were going to be almost $1000 (not joking). The Nexen cost me around $500. They are smooth but on certain surfaces it shakes. I have rebalanced them, checked alignment, and adjusted the air pressure but it still rough. They have said that these Nexen are great tires. Has anyone had a similar experience with this?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

There is a picture of the tire.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't have experience with these particular tires, but everyone hypes up the tires they are trying to sell.
On Amazon, the reviews are all over the map, including 1 out of 4 defective tires, to the tires being 5 years old at time of sale, to absolutely loving these. Amazon.com: Nexen Aria AH7 Touring Radial Tire - 225/65R17 102H : Automotive
Another rating service rated these 7th out of 9 top products in the category, although the reviews are not that bad. At least it's one of the top products in the category. https://www.dontwasteyourmoney.com/products/nexen-aria-ah7-radial-car-tire/
You got a good price on these tires, but like anything else you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just purchased new tires since the Michelins were done. They almost lasted 65k. I replaced them with Nexen Aria AH7 since there were other tires brands that I have never heard of and because the Michelins were going to be almost $1000 (not joking). The Nexen cost me around $500. They are smooth but on certain surfaces it shakes. I have rebalanced them, checked alignment, and adjusted the air pressure but it still rough. They have said that these Nexen are great tires. Has anyone had a similar experience with this? View attachment 7069
While I'm sure price is important, the Michelin Energy Saver Tires are specifically designed for Kia Niro Hybrid, Plug-In and EV. I am on my first replacement tires at 52,000 miles, as my mechanic says, he offers a wide range of prices and qualities of tires as he says, and while you may save money on the tire now, it will come back to haunt you in mileage of your vehicle in terms of gas usage and wearability of the tire itself. His recommendation was to stick with the Michelin rather than any other tire. Right now with gas prices going through the roof, you can expect to see lower gas mileage as well as overall lower mileage of the tire itself. Just my review of all tire situations, know all the facts and this tire is not necessarily made for the NIRO's needs.
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Do the tires vibrate at a specific speed? If the vibrate really bad at specific speeds and are not as bad at others I would suspect a broken belt.

It sounds like the tire shop that you got the tires from are not very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do the tires vibrate at a specific speed? If the vibrate really bad at specific speeds and are not as bad at others I would suspect a broken belt.

It sounds like the tire shop that you got the tires from are not very knowledgeable.
They
Is the roughness a shake at a certain speed or noise etc on a particular surface or a combination of the 2?
not really it’s always rough no matter what type of surface or speed. Feels liken Fred Flinstones car.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I'm sure price is important, the Michelin Energy Saver Tires are specifically designed for Kia Niro Hybrid, Plug-In and EV. I am on my first replacement tires at 52,000 miles, as my mechanic says, he offers a wide range of prices and qualities of tires as he says, and while you may save money on the tire now, it will come back to haunt you in mileage of your vehicle in terms of gas usage and wearability of the tire itself. His recommendation was to stick with the Michelin rather than any other tire. Right now with gas prices going through the roof, you can expect to see lower gas mileage as well as overall lower mileage of the tire itself. Just my review of all tire situations, know all the facts and this tire is not necessarily made for the NIRO's needs.
Best of luck to you.
I think that’s what I will go. I was also thinking about the Bridgestone Ecopias but I am unsure if they will be better, the same, or worst. I’m going back tomorrow to see if I can get the energy A/s

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I figured. All of the specs were correct for the tire 205/60/16 92H. Inflated them to 39psi since the car handles bad with 36psi. It’s strange because in my Prius I was able to put any tire as long as it was 195/65/15 and it would handle great. I put Kumhos and they were great. I think the Niro suspension is sensitive.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just purchased new tires since the Michelins were done. They almost lasted 65k. I replaced them with Nexen Aria AH7 since there were other tires brands that I have never heard of and because the Michelins were going to be almost $1000 (not joking). The Nexen cost me around $500. They are smooth but on certain surfaces it shakes. I have rebalanced them, checked alignment, and adjusted the air pressure but it still rough. They have said that these Nexen are great tires. Has anyone had a similar experience with this? View attachment 7069
I use Tire Rack to research tires but I still ended up with a crappy set of tires about ten years back . This time for the Niro I put on Yokohama Ascend tires and they seem fine but maybe a little louder .

·
Registered
138 Posts
Were they rough at the beginning?
No I'd say that they were pretty smooth , It seems to be now that they are a little noisier but offer a smooth ride . I keep them at 36 psi and am happy with them . My car came with the 18 inch Michelins and these are 16 inch Yokohama tires and give a somewhat smoother softer ride but I think a little louder .

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No they were smooth , I went from 18 Michelins to 16 Yokohamas, they were not quite as sharp handling but I'm looking for soft for my rough city roads . Anecdotally a little louder .
Mines were rough from the time I left the tire shop. Going back today to see if I can order the Energy Saver. Maybe more money but like others have mentioned, will get rid of the roughness.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Bad tires are sure not a bargain at any price. Surprised you only got 65,000 miles out of them? Do you have 18" wheels? I have 16" wheels and at 45,000 on original Michelins, they are only half way down on useful tread life. I've seen a number of posts here with owners getting 80-85,000 miles and I'm on the same apparent path.

Possibly prices have gone up, but a couple years ago the 16" Michelins were around $850 a set.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bad tires are sure not a bargain at any price. Surprised you only got 65,000 miles out of them? Do you have 18" wheels? I have 16" wheels and at 45,000 on original Michelins, they are only half way down on useful tread life. I've seen a number of posts here with owners getting 80-85,000 miles and I'm on the same apparent path.

Possibly prices have gone up, but a couple years ago the 16" Michelins were around $850 a set.
I have the 16”. I always rotated and balance them at 6k. I also noticed that the tires were made in the USA whereas my friends 2020 Niro was made in Canada. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the thread life.

·
Registered
2018 Niro Touring Pearl White
20 Posts
I think that’s what I will go. I was also thinking about the Bridgestone Ecopias but I am unsure if they will be better, the same, or worst. I’m going back tomorrow to see if I can get the energy A/s
On TireRack the Bridgestone Ecopias rate as 74% as good as the Michelin CrossClimate2 (their highest rated tire in the Grand Touring All-Season category), yet cost more. (I'm looking at prices on the 18" tires.)

On previous cars I have gone with top-rated tires at TireRack, including
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring (not top-rated, but up there in the rankings)

Vredestein Quatrac Pro

You can see that these tires are now only rated about 75% as good as the best new tires, and the Eco Michelins are down a ways as well. I hope to get through this winter with what I have (two original Michelin Eco ones with 45k on them and two Hercules (an off-shoot of Cooper) tires that I think the dealer put on there at 20k--don't know why they would have to replace two tires with mileage that low--suspect a good road hazard). I'm just going to plan on shelling out $1k for a set when the time comes to get the best ones available.

·
Registered
2018 Niro Touring Pearl White
20 Posts
While I'm sure price is important, the Michelin Energy Saver Tires are specifically designed for Kia Niro Hybrid, Plug-In and EV. ...with gas prices going through the roof, you can expect to see lower gas mileage as well as overall lower mileage of the tire itself. Just my review of all tire situations, know all the facts and this tire is not necessarily made for the NIRO's needs.
Just curious, but what specific needs do hybrid cars have for getting good mileage that every other car doesn't have? The tires roll on the road whether the car is powered by electricity, gas, or a combination of the two. Not all hybrid cars weigh the same amount, so how can they design one tire that is the best match for all hybrids?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On TireRack the Bridgestone Ecopias rate as 74% as good as the Michelin CrossClimate2 (their highest rated tire in the Grand Touring All-Season category), yet cost more. (I'm looking at prices on the 18" tires.)

On previous cars I have gone with top-rated tires at TireRack, including
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring (not top-rated, but up there in the rankings)

Vredestein Quatrac Pro

You can see that these tires are now only rated about 75% as good as the best new tires, and the Eco Michelins are down a ways as well. I hope to get through this winter with what I have (two original Michelin Eco ones with 45k on them and two Hercules (an off-shoot of Cooper) tires that I think the dealer put on there at 20k--don't know why they would have to replace two tires with mileage that low--suspect a good road hazard). I'm just going to plan on shelling out $1k for a set when the time comes to get the best ones available.

[/URL]
I went with
Just curious, but what specific needs do hybrid cars have for getting good mileage that every other car doesn't have? The tires roll on the road whether the car is powered by electricity, gas, or a combination of the two. Not all hybrid cars weigh the same amount, so how can they design one tire that is the best match for all hybrids?
That’s what I was also wondering. I think it has to do on how the tire is made. Nexen were the same size with same load and speed rating and it was the worst tire I have ever gotten.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just put on the Michelins since I had a feeling that I was going to get the same comfort from the Nexen. It was a huge difference but the tires do seem weird. When I drive over a smooth surface it is really smooth but when I drive in small bumpy roads, the car vibrates a little. I have went back to the tire shop to get them rebalance and they were off by little. I went back to the freeway which the most of the vibration vanish but I still feel some of it. I will have to assume that it is the new threads and that I might have to break them in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts