Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm a possible Niro Phev buyer when the new facelifted model (2019 to you) arrives in dealers here in early 2020. It seems the ideal car for me (no range anxiety) and well equipped but from reading reviews and now posts on this owners forum about reliability issues / delays in sourcing parts (water pumps) I'm beginning to worry should I go ahead and place the order with my local Kia Dealer. There is only one trim level available in Ireland called K4 so I'm unsure how that relates to trims in other countries. I currently drive a Golf Highline will there be a very noticeable change in driving dynamics (handling/acceleration/overtaking).
You've probably heard all this before but your thoughts and real life experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
Pick any car and go to their respective user forum and you will find any number of people who have issues with that particular model/brand. The problem is that there are not a whole lot of people posting to the forums to say that they drive their car daily and have no issues with it. Or if something went wrong they got it fixed right away without an issue. Forums seem to be a magnet for people to post their complaints.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sum of all fears

Thanks Roadkill401, guess your right, its a case of "the sum of all fears". After bingeing on other posts here all evening looks like most owners are happy with their Niro Phev

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi all,
I'm a possible Niro Phev buyer when the new facelifted model (2019 to you) arrives in dealers here in early 2020. It seems the ideal car for me (no range anxiety) and well equipped but from reading reviews and now posts on this owners forum about reliability issues / delays in sourcing parts (water pumps) I'm beginning to worry should I go ahead and place the order with my local Kia Dealer. There is only one trim level available in Ireland called K4 so I'm unsure how that relates to trims in other countries. I currently drive a Golf Highline will there be a very noticeable change in driving dynamics (handling/acceleration/overtaking).
You've probably heard all this before but your thoughts and real life experience would be appreciated.

Thanks
16 MO, 12000 miles, no problems, love the car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
2019 Niro PHEV EX- 5 months - 8240 miles - no problems. Car is saving our family a lot of money by not having to buy gas. In our area electricity is not costly $.08 per Kwh.

Car is comfortable to drive and economical with many advanced features and wonderful safety features.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks
I just went from 2017 Golf Wolfsburg 1.8T to Niro PHEV EX. Got the Niro primarily due to desire for a bit more interior space and to drive by gas stations. So far averaging 102 miles/gallon. The Niro is a bit larger than the Golf in all aspects. Comfort is fairly similar. Golf driving position was more cockpit like while Niro is more like living room. Niro is much quieter in city and modestly quieter on highway. Golf was more agile, but Niro is surprisingly good & I think the suspension is more compliant. The Golf 1.8T w AT certainly had more power, but again, Niro is somewhat sluggish in EV mode but not bad, certainly adequate for my driving. Significantly better if you use the Sport mode -- not necessary at all for daily driving, but good if you want a little more "zoom zoom". Overall while I loved my Golf I'm not missing it.

I am one who has posted having some problems with my PHEV after 2 wks & 500 mile on the odo. :mad:

It is unclear whether my issues were with due to some manufacturer issue of the after market LED back up lights I installed. The dealer made a couple of adjustments and I put the OEM BU back in. Since then I have driven about 700 more miles in the past 10 days with no issues -- hopefully for the next 5 yrs! :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
18 months and 29,000 miles on my EX Premium PHEV and no problems at all so far. Love the mileage and the tech (wonky auto HVAC controls aside). I'm almost exclusively EV during the week which is great but having the ability to jump in and go for a long road trip is great. Just the other week we drove from Washington DC to Pittsburgh PA and back (240 miles each way) without being able to plug in and still averaged 50mpg for the trip without trying to drive for efficiency. I'd love to get a full EV but the limited range and long (compared to just filling the gas tank) charge times are still a turn off for me.

While the PHEV definitely has some compromises compared the HEV including heavier battery and lack of spare tire space and limited range and lower power electric motor compared to a full EV, I think for a lot of people it really is an optimal solution.

I'd love a version with a battery large enough to get maybe 50 miles of EV range which would fulfill 95%+ of my driving needs on pure electric but obviously cramming 2x the battery in the car would start to encroach on the interior and one of the things I love about the PHEV Niro is that the larger pack doesn't reduce the space inside, except for the spare tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts