Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,

We bought an FE back in 2018 not thinking we would need a roof rack ever.

Forward 3 years we want to go camping with our baby and really need a roof rack now to be comfortable.

Since the FE came with a naked roof I heard that the installation of the longitudinal roof bars are really expensive and there is not a lot of options other than that.. I wanted to know if some of you had the same problem and what was you solutions.

Cheers !

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
This is also not an inexpensive solution, but if you install a trailer hitch, you can mount a box behind the hatch that will cover your needs (unless easy access to hatch is necessary on your camping trips). This has the advantage of being far more aero than a roof mounted box and will not kill your mpg as much. And unlike a roof rack, it will not be a drain on your mpg when you are not camping. There is perhaps a 5 mpg hit just from a roof rack without anything on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is also not an inexpensive solution, but if you install a trailer hitch, you can mount a box behind the hatch that will cover your needs (unless easy access to hatch is necessary on your camping trips). This has the advantage of being far more aero than a roof mounted box and will not kill your mpg as much. And unlike a roof rack, it will not be a drain on your mpg when you are not camping. There is perhaps a 5 mpg hit just from a roof rack without anything on it.
It is necessary to reach quickly in the trunk and we already use the hitch for our bikes ! And for the mpg at that moment I don't really care if at the other hand we make great trips and memories :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I run a roof rack quite a bit...there is in no possible way a 5 mpg hit with the roof rack installed...maybe a 1 mpg hit, and that is within the margin of error of the mpg calculation.

And I even keep my kayak saddles attached.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I run a roof rack quite a bit...there is in no possible way a 5 mpg hit with the roof rack installed...maybe a 1 mpg hit, and that is within the margin of error of the mpg calculation.

And I even keep my kayak saddles attached.
Just an educated guess. A single side mirrors costs about 3% (1.5 mpg) and I'd estimate that a roof rack with crossbars have more than double the frontal area. Plus more drag from turbulence. I'd say no way a 1 mpg hit only.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just an educated guess. A single side mirrors costs about 3% (1.5 mpg) and I'd estimate that a roof rack with crossbars have more than double the frontal area. Plus more drag from turbulence. I'd say no way a 1 mpg hit only.
Since I track every gallon and every mile...I think I know. ****, I drove 1400 miles with my kayak on my Niro and only dropped 6 mpg. 46 to 40.
P.S. Rain will drop mpgs more than anything.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
I think there's some confusion here. The statement about a 5 MPG drop was with a roof mounted carrier, not the rack itself. And I fully agree that a roof mounted carrier could easily cause a 5 MPG hit, at minimum.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think there's some confusion here. The statement about a 5 MPG drop was with a roof mounted carrier, not the rack itself. And I fully agree that a roof mounted carrier could easily cause a 5 MPG hit, at minimum.
No, it was not...that's why I challenged it.
Direct quote...

There is perhaps a 5 mpg hit just from a roof rack without anything on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
buy a used rail from eBay or your local junk yard. another option is to buy the universal roof-rack that mounts on to side rail. roof box will greatly increase the storage space but noticeably reduce the MPG.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
Direct quote...

True, that was the quote. But I believe it was based on the rack actually carrying something. I agree a rack by itself makes little difference in MPG, although the chance of additional wind noise certainly increases. But if you're not putting a carrier (or some other load) on the roof rack, why even have it up there?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Direct quote...

Yup, that is what I said. I'd do it again! Perhaps it is not obvious (not take anything for granted) but I was talking about worst case mpg at highway speeds estimate. According to the car displays, our average mpg seems to be less than 40 mph (for me anyway). Thus average mpg hit will be less than my educated guess.

For anyone interested, here is one way to gauge impact of a roof rack. Bring a yardstick with you on your next drive, and at highway speed, stick it broadside facing travel direction completely out your side window. Carefully, it might be hard to hold. Now multiply that force by 2 for the minimum two crossbars on a roof rack. Then add a reasonable amount for the rails or supports. It's a lot of force! In the absence of a yardstick in these modern times, just hold your hand out the window at highway speeds.

For most of you with roof rails only (who don't own the FE), it is well commented by reviewers that most of the EPA gap between the FE and other models is the roof rail. It is actually has more wind resistance than it might appear as they are curved front to back. I removed mine and replaced them with FE roof trim, plus another aero tweak for a similar gain, and I do better than the FE EPA rating in my LX. That is for every drop of fuel and every mile for 40,000 miles now. Small changes have big impacts. That is why I cannot believe adding empty roof racks is within 1 mpg at highway speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello people,

We bought an FE back in 2018 not thinking we would need a roof rack ever.

Forward 3 years we want to go camping with our baby and really need a roof rack now to be comfortable.

Since the FE came with a naked roof I heard that the installation of the longitudinal roof bars are really expensive and there is not a lot of options other than that.. I wanted to know if some of you had the same problem and what was you solutions.

Cheers !
I have a 18 niro fe and we just went 39 hundred miles with a after market rail system and a rack basket from harbor freight, we bought it for our pruis and it worked on our niro you just have to buy for your car or watch for used ones but keep in mind the measurements of your roof have fun

·
Registered
37 Posts
Look into a roof bag. I’ve seen quite few cars with those lately. Cars w/o rails or bars had the straps go through the doors.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Do you even laminar flow?
Well of course that would a goal, but a car is not an airplane where it can be critical on wings for lift. Only applies to vehicle surfaces anyway and needs a wind tunnel or serious computer modeling to validate. The thing about things sticking away from the car is that it is in clean air, disrupting smooth flow (not laminar) causing a lot of drag.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Here is an interesting post from an Ioniq owner who installed Yakima aero racks. PHEV owner on a regular EV only commute so he was able to utilize a calculation less cumbersome than gasoline use. 32 mile commute with 6 mile range remaining without the rack (38 miles total), 3 miles remaining with rack mounted. 3/38 = 6.25% drop.

A bit less than my first top of my head guess of a 5mpg hit which is too high at a 10% hit, but with more thought I added in my next post:

or >6%. Which is what this Ioniq owner reports. That would translate to about 3 mpg in a Niro HEV. Of course, most anecdotes require clarifying methodology. Biggest ones would be the need of an average speed for the commute, and how long at what top speed. That might allow comparison of that anecdote to someone's else personal use case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts