Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard anything regarding the Niro EV sales date? I visited a dealer in Atlanta this afternoon, and per one of the salesmen there are Niro EV's currently sitting at port (likely Charleston, SC), however none of the dealerships have gotten word as to when to expect "official" sales or reception of the vehicles to begin. After test driving the PHEV versions of the Kona and Niro, I am just about sold on the Niro notwithstanding unexpected scathing user reviews (in general both have gotten pretty good reviews thus far; Niro wins for me due to just enough size overall).

On that note, the salesman mentioned something about the PHEV models having issues with level 3 charging? Has anyone had/heard of this problem? I am assuming the PHEV is not accounting for the heat associated with that level of power, whereas the EV model has a liquid cooling system in place to account for this?

·
Registered
612 Posts
On that note, the salesman mentioned something about the PHEV models having issues with level 3 charging? Has anyone had/heard of this problem? I am assuming the PHEV is not accounting for the heat associated with that level of power, whereas the EV model has a liquid cooling system in place to account for this?
The PHEV doesn't support Level 3 at all, just Levels 1 and 2. The only issue that causes is if you run into a charger that doesn't have the Level 2 connector. That's happened to me twice in the year since we've owned the car.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Only the BEV has DC fast charging - which is sometimes called Level 3 (had to Google it). The PHEV is air cooled, and so would have an issue with fast charging.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
Has anyone heard anything regarding the Niro EV sales date? I visited a dealer in Atlanta this afternoon, and per one of the salesmen there are Niro EV's currently sitting at port (likely Charleston, SC), however none of the dealerships have gotten word as to when to expect "official" sales or reception of the vehicles to begin. After test driving the PHEV versions of the Kona and Niro, I am just about sold on the Niro notwithstanding unexpected scathing user reviews (in general both have gotten pretty good reviews thus far; Niro wins for me due to just enough size overall).
Hi sphawk88, Welcome to the forum!

As per date of delivery for the EV's versions, press release talks for April-May, But since the battery production issue in Korea, it would probably be more like this summer!..

Quick advise, please do not take for granted what salesman tell you sometimes..

** Test drive of the PHEV Kona ? ... there are only 2 models of the Kona: Kona and the Kona Electric.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
Kia US is claiming February release. Having cars already in Charleston would seem to back that up.

Hey,!! you maybee right Mate.! ;)
As of Kia (Canada or US) they should of been here since last October.! :|

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi sphawk88, Welcome to the forum!

As per date of delivery for the EV's versions, press release talks for April-May, But since the battery production issue in Korea, it would probably be more like this summer!..

Quick advise, please do not take for granted what salesman tell you sometimes..

** Test drive of the PHEV Kona ? ... there are only 2 models of the Kona: Kona and the Kona Electric.
yep I misspoke - I test drive the combustion kona only to compare it's top options and size (all of which I prefer the niro, even the gimmicky heads up display I found more annoying than helpful). as for the vehicles at port, I was somewhat surprised at the offhand comment, and that would line up with what I have observed working in the transportation industry (tesla still confuses me not using any rail transportation).

as for the release date, I have only seen press releases, news, and review articles state a targeted end of February release date, with the stipulation Kia is not anticipating the EV to be a mass produced vehicle. My purchase timing will likely be towards the summer or fall hopefully.

with that in mind, does anyone know the best route to get any type of MSRP reduction? My only hope is Costco will offer this through their vehicle discount program?

·
Registered
300 Posts
It looks like the Niro BEV is likely to be in short supply for quite sometime in the future if the news that the 900 units allocated for the UK are all sold! https://insideevs.com/kia-niro-ev-e-niro-sold-out-uk/

Any of you out there in the Pacific NW who have a Niro PHEV EX Premium that are looking to upgrade to the BEV, let me know. I may be interested in your PHEV :)

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
It looks like the Niro BEV is likely to be in short supply for quite sometime in the future if the news that the 900 units allocated for the UK are all sold!
They must be all sold out everywhere..

The main problem is with the battery provider LG that cannot hold the demand.!

"Some say that the problem is in limited battery supplies. The worst thing is that the restraining factor is expected to remain for at least 12-18 more months, which must be frustrating for such an excellent car."
If that is true!.. i have one word: OUCH !!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like the Niro BEV is likely to be in short supply for quite sometime in the future if the news that the 900 units allocated for the UK are all sold!
They must be all sold out everywhere..

The main problem is with the battery provider LG that cannot hold the demand.!

"Some say that the problem is in limited battery supplies. The worst thing is that the restraining factor is expected to remain for at least 12-18 more months, which must be frustrating for such an excellent car."
If that is true!.. i have one word: OUCH !!!
allocation to the UK isn't exactly paramount to Kia selling EV's in the US. From a business perspective, I am anticipating Kia will commit to sell more EV's in the US to "get the ball rolling", on top of an unknown US electric vehicle subsidy being axed depending on politics. interestingly parallel to your concerns, SK Innovations starts construction of its U.S. battery factory down the road from me in Atlanta this quarter, which I assume will be shipped/used in a future production line at the factory which is currently producing the telluride in GA?

regardless of UK sales, I suppose we shall see when units arrive on US lots shortly if the Kia press release holds water.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live 150 miles from Winnipeg, CA. They have a fully loaded Kona EV that I was going to check out. But as I was seeing if the $7500 US tax credit would apply to a new EV bought in Canada and used in the US, I found out that the Hyundai warranty does not carry over the border. That plus the loss of the tax credit ruled out going any further.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
I live 150 miles from Winnipeg, CA. They have a fully loaded Kona EV that I was going to check out. But as I was seeing if the $7500 US tax credit would apply to a new EV bought in Canada and used in the US, I found out that the Hyundai warranty does not carry over the border. That plus the loss of the tax credit ruled out going any further.
For the warranty, same thing for us on the other side.!

Talking of rebate, in my region, there are 2-3 dealers that specialized in used EV's. They buy cars from Ontario, and the US (florida, calif, etc..). The reason why is because in Quebec, there is a used vehicles goverment pilot program that gives up to 4000$ CAN as a rebate for a used EV. The ONLY glitch, is if the same car that was bought in Qc as new, and had a 8000$ CAN rebate, cannot get the other 4000$ rebate if returned to the dealer after a lease and re-sold as a used.!! Imagine if the same couple, gets the 8000$ and returns it too the delaer after the lease, and the dealer sells it too the wife as a used and she gets the 4000$, The same couple would get 12.000$ rebate on the same car! :eek:

info: Eligibility requirements | Québec Government rebate for used VE"

·
Registered
12 Posts
I joined this forum for user knowledge. Salesmen can't keep up with all the cars. Especially odd things like EV's! They may say anything to get you in the door. We learned a LOT before we bought our 2015 Leaf. And we got the best info on forums.
I called a Kia dealer in Atlanta. 'Sure we have some. Come on down!' I didn't trust him.
The 2nd dealer said they were expecting some in a week. Or two. Or a month? They aren't privy to that information, and may be told to, gasp! lie.
So if we buy a Niro EV, or PHEV, we'll stick with the guy who's been honest, so far. I gave him my info, and he promised to only call when they get them. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
So if we buy a Niro EV, or PHEV, we'll stick with the guy who's been honest, so far. I gave him my info, and he promised to only call when they get them. We'll see.
That is the best way too do! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I joined this forum for user knowledge. Salesmen can't keep up with all the cars. Especially odd things like EV's! They may say anything to get you in the door. We learned a LOT before we bought our 2015 Leaf. And we got the best info on forums.
I called a Kia dealer in Atlanta. 'Sure we have some. Come on down!' I didn't trust him.
The 2nd dealer said they were expecting some in a week. Or two. Or a month? They aren't privy to that information, and may be told to, gasp! lie.
Ya the guy I test drove with at the Roswell Hyundai knew little to nothing about the upcoming Kona EV. When I test drove a PHEV Niro at Ed Voyles in Chamblee the salesman was pretty honest and knew a decent bit. He expected the Telluride on lot this week or next, but still had no solid date on the EV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I talked to Curtis at Ed Voyles on Peachtree Ind. The first guy was on Satellite. We'll probably look at the Kona, too. In EV and PHEV.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Always good to shop around. But I'm not liking what I hear about the Kona. More cramped than the Niro but the deal killer for me would be the huge increase in road noise. If you have the time, hang around a few more months and cross shop the Soul. Not sure when it is coming though.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi, new member today. I just talked to a dealer in OR today; he checked on Tuesday and couldn't find any NiroEVs in any port yet. He thinks they may come to LA, San Fran first. I forgot why he said he thought they were getting close to a port, but the first ones are likely to be offloaded fairly soon.

I'm like you, pretty much convinced the the Niro EV is the right one for me, but keep researching, evaluating. We'll see when they get here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I talked to Curtis at Ed Voyles on Peachtree Ind. The first guy was on Satellite. We'll probably look at the Kona, too. In EV and PHEV.
I think I lost the guy's card I spoke with there, but don't think it was Curtis. We test drove a PHEV with him and checked out the grey and blue color options on other Niros on the lot.

Always good to shop around. But I'm not liking what I hear about the Kona. More cramped than the Niro but the deal killer for me would be the huge increase in road noise. If you have the time, hang around a few more months and cross shop the Soul. Not sure when it is coming though.
That's about my conclusion, plus I like the Niro look in general better (unique day running lights especially on the EV).

Hi, new member today. I just talked to a dealer in OR today; he checked on Tuesday and couldn't find any NiroEVs in any port yet. He thinks they may come to LA, San Fran first. I forgot why he said he thought they were getting close to a port, but the first ones are likely to be offloaded fairly soon.

I'm like you, pretty much convinced the the Niro EV is the right one for me, but keep researching, evaluating. We'll see when they get here.
the major ports near Atlanta for vehicles are Charleston SC and Brunswick GA, which would take longer for vehicles to reach comparatively. I'm assuming the new Kia plant would export from Charleston, and Kia likely import from the same. Regardless I took tomorrow off, so I'm good with it waiting another week so I don't miss them at the dealer!

·
Registered
73 Posts
BEV in GA

As Georgia is one of the 12 states to get the Niro BEV, I just happen to be traveling through GA and thought I would see what was available. Plus, I had not seen the pricing yet. I was surprised to find at least 6 (I didn’t count) by using the Adairsville zip code on Kia’s search site.
I was immediately depressed by the price. Guess that is why they have so many. I have a PHEV EX Premium and it looks like the BEV EX Premium version is $10k more expensive. So, immediately not justified. However, if you compare EX models, it might make more sense, especially with the Federal $7500 tax credit.
However, I think the big issue is the Tesla M3 SR/SR+, which is a much more desirable car than the eNiro IMHO. I am not enamored with Tesla, and it really pains me to think the scales are at least slightly tipped in Tesla’s favor. If Tesla could iron out their issues and become a “real” car company, it would be an absolute no brainer.
With a lot of competition supposedly coming in the next 18 months, perhaps it would be best to wait and not get either at the $40-50k price point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts