Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The EV variant of the Niro is now officially on sale in Korea. According to Kia they have received more than 5,000 pre orders of their new electric, which is will on sale in Europe at the end of the year and in North America in the first quarter of 2019. I actually think its a good think that is launching in other markets first, as we'll get to see if there are any issues that need to be addressed before placing orders. Anyone here considering this new model?

·
Registered
401 Posts
The EV variant of the Niro is now officially on sale in Korea. According to Kia they have received more than 5,000 pre orders of their new electric, which is will on sale in Europe at the end of the year and in North America in the first quarter of 2019. I actually think its a good think that is launching in other markets first, as we'll get to see if there are any issues that need to be addressed before placing orders. Anyone here considering this new model?
nope.

PHEV is far better (just about perfect) for my driving profile. 50% 5-10 mile errands and 50% 1000 mi trips.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Saw a PR release stating Aug 3 Korea launch. Claimed 240 mile range. Even better, liquid cooled battery. I don't like the front charging door and that whole panel. Copied directly from the Kona EV.

·
Registered
54 Posts
According to Bloomberg U.S. drivers now lease almost 80 percent of battery electric vehicles and 55 percent of plug-in hybrids. The lopsided consumer preference for leases is fueled by the meager demand for battery-powered vehicles on the used market. Bloomberg also noted that contributing to the leasing factor is driver's belief that upcoming electric cars will exceed today's in value and capabilities. I considered all three versions of the Niro when I began my research but after reading multiple articles and sources about the EV market, and factoring in we live in a rural seaside community, I decided the Niro PHEV was the best fit for us. But for those comfortable with leasing and access to charging stations, the Niro EV certainly looks impressive.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Battery tech keeps getting better and cheaper every year. Not to mention safety features getting better every year even faster. So driver's beliefs are not wrong. Also, EVs and PHEVs cost more than regular cars, so leases can make them more affordable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Perhaps the real risk is to owning a purely Internal Combustion Engine power train. Power to power an electric motor is 5 times cheaper to manufacture and lasts 5 times longer. Electric motor torque is always a better fit for transportation ( look at diesel electric locomotives). The draw back to EV is range but batteries are slowly improving as to energy density. More importantly rapid charging stations are appearing in many places. If you can recharge overnight at home and within 30 mins on the highway the cost of ownership of an EV will be half or less of a comparable ICE within 10 years.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I am seriously considering the BEV Niro. Bjørn Nyland is vlogging about one now. However, I am currently leaning towards the Jag IPace for a replacement for my PHEV EX Premium next year, simply because I prefer the look and luxury of the Jag.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Perhaps the real risk is to owning a purely Internal Combustion Engine power train. Power to power an electric motor is 5 times cheaper to manufacture and lasts 5 times longer. Electric motor torque is always a better fit for transportation ( look at diesel electric locomotives). The draw back to EV is range but batteries are slowly improving as to energy density. More importantly rapid charging stations are appearing in many places. If you can recharge overnight at home and within 30 mins on the highway the cost of ownership of an EV will be half or less of a comparable ICE within 10 years.

well if it is, my next car will be an ev, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't want to worry about an ICE or haul one around when it wouldn't get used 90% of the time, so I went with a lease on a Leaf. It charges at home on a wall plug most of the time. It's been great so far, but when my lease is up, the Niro EV is at the top of my list. For camping trips and things like that I rent a minivan.

It looks like it's going to come down to the Niro EV vs the upcoming 60kwh Leaf. The Niro has slightly better cargo space ( a bit wider and a better rear opening ), but it's going to come down to price and availability, probably.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts