Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I could look in the manual and it would probably say but for now I am trying to figure it out on my own. If anyone here has figured it out, don't tell us!

·
Registered
249 Posts
The right one probably just means "read the manual if you don't understand how to fill the tank or what kind of gas to use".

The left one... I have no idea. I guess I always assumed "20" was some sort of octane rating used in Korea, but really I'm not sure. Google turned up nothing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
no the manual states that for PHEV you have 20 minutes between the moment you open the lid to the moment youfinish fill up... more than that it will lock the filling capability and you'll spill petrol on the floor.

the manual states this only for plugin hybrid

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just found that in the manual, as well. But I don't really understand what they're talking about.

"the fuel tank may shut off..." WTF does that mean?

"...causing fuel to overflow." Huh? What fuel? From the tank? From the nozzle?

·
Registered
76 Posts
for my understanding there is a valve in the pipe leading to the tank that shuts off after 20mn... kind of like a device to block thieves to syphon the tank by sliding a pipe in...
if it closes you cant steal fuel but neither put some in, hence the overflow

I might be wrong though... and why only on PHEV? no idea

·
Registered
249 Posts
for my understanding there is a valve in the pipe leading to the tank that shuts off after 20mn... kind of like a device to block thieves to syphon the tank by sliding a pipe in...
if it closes you cant steal fuel but neither put some in, hence the overflow

I might be wrong though... and why only on PHEV? no idea
Maybe it's to prevent fuel vapors from escaping if you forget to put the cap back on, which is perhaps more dangerous with PHEVs because of the high voltage spark potential when plugging it in.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There's also something in the PHEV section of the owner's manual about "It may take up to 20 seconds to open the fuel filler door" after you push the button on the dashboard to open the door. Apparently there's some sort of depressurization that happens and can take up to 20 seconds. I'm wondering if the "valve" that closes after 20 minutes might be there for some sort of pressurization logic, but I don't really get why this would be specific to the PHEV. Also, isn't the max voltage on the PHEV and the HEV traction battery the same? I thought the difference was just about how much capacity (kWh) that can be restored in the respective batteries. If the voltage is the same, then the spark potential is the same, so the logic should be the same.

On a related note, has anyone else had difficulties with refueling? When I stick the hose nozzle all the way in the tank and try to run the gas pump, the pump kicks out after a few seconds in the same way that it would if the tank was full (but the tank is nowhere near full). I usually have to reposition the nozzle one or two times to find the sweet spot that will let fuel flow into the tank without prematurely kicking out. I went through this a couple of weeks ago and apparently I left the nozzle backed out a bit too far when I repositioned it the third time: the tank filled to overflowing and pumped out about a quart of gasoline onto the pavement before I could react and shut it off (good thing I hadn't walked away). I notified the attendant of the fuel spill, and they came out and cordoned off the filling spot until they could clean it up, but this is starting to feel like a real concern, rather than just a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
HEV doesn't have a plug, though. Plugs can spark when they get plugged in and unplugged. So maybe that's why they didn't bother with the HEV. I'm just speculating, I really have no idea.

I read the same thing about taking up to 20 seconds for the door to open, but in my experience of over a dozen fuel-ups, it's always popped open right away. So I'm not sure what would cause it to delay for up to 20 seconds, maybe that happens on really hot days or something.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Have zero problems filling my Niro. However if the car is not inclined away from the pump, it can take a bit of extra time to top off fully. Far easier to fill than my prior car, a PT Cruiser. I like to top off my cars for maximum range, and fewest fuel stops. Best was 701 miles between fills!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts