Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't know the answer, but I do know that I wouldn't jumpstart another car with my Niro even if I could. Too much chance for it to f*** up my own electrical system in the process.
Ever since I started owning modern cars (with ECUs), I politely decline to offer a jump starts to strangers when they ask me for one, and explain that "last time I did that, it fried my ECU, sorry. I'll happily place a call to a roadside assistance company if you'd like."
If you frequently find yourself needing to jumpstart cars, I recommend buying a portable jumpstarter and keeping it in your car instead.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't know the answer, but I do know that I wouldn't jumpstart another car with my Niro even if I could. Too much chance for it to f*** up my own electrical system in the process.
Ever since I started owning modern cars (with ECUs), I politely decline to offer a jump starts to strangers when they ask me for one, and explain that "last time I did that, it fried my ECU, sorry. I'll happily place a call to a roadside assistance company if you'd like."
If you frequently find yourself needing to jumpstart cars, I recommend buying a portable jumpstarter and keeping it in your car instead.
I agree 100%. I would never jump start anybody with my Niro. Read too many horror stories on Prius Chat when I owned my Prius.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm actually getting an oil change at my local dealrship right now and had this very question. In short: no, you cannot jump another vehicle.

To elaborate, my service advisor tracked down somebody in the service bay who specializes with the Niro. He explained that despite the positive terminal in the fuse box, the current from the Niro blows a fuse on any vehicle you attempt to jump start. This is especially interesting because if you meter the voltage of the positive terminal, you will get a reasonable value of approximately 13 volts.

The Niro does however have the ability to jumpstart itself. There is the main hybrid battery pack (the lithium 1.56Kw pack) and a smaller lithium battery seated next to it. This smaller battery is used for starting the vehicle via the starter-generator. In the event that this smaller battery is flat, the dashboard has a button labeled 12V BATT RESET which will use a small amount of juice from the large hybrid battery to charge the small starter battery. The Ioniq shares this same system, I believe.

·
Registered
173 Posts
As when I had my Prius, Leaf, & now Niro, I smile and just say no, I do not have the capability to assist you, sorry! so far all I have interacted with, while disappointed, accept my reasoning & refusal. It's one of the problems with cars that need a small 12v battery just to start a computer on wheels!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Yup, the PHEV and the BEV (and 2017 HEVs that are not North American) have a lead acid battery. The battery reset button on the other models simply closes a relay that opened because of excessive drain. It doesn't actually charge the battery immediately, just allows you to get going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts