Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with driving the Niro in snow? I live in upstate NY! Thank you!

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Kia Niro is still relatively new so people may not have a chance to test drive it in the snow yet. And winter has just ended so we'll have to wait until next winter to find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Keri D we have an L Model ( canadian) which is an FE in States , we did test drive another Niro the highest trim with the fancier rims, also18 inch ( different tires I believe) we were impressed with how it handled in approx 20 minute drive, felt quite stable but it was only light snow.
We previously had a 4wd jeep. 18 mpg.
My own opinion is that the location of the battery helps with weight distribution and helps the rear end with traction.

We ended up buying the base model which has the Michelin energy saver tires which are low rolling resistance and are smaller wheels 16 inch. We live in Ontario that's a bit west of you probably similar snow.
my wife does work in another city and she does drive to work all winter. ( hospital routes so mostly plowed early).

If you look on U tube at some of the European and UK sites one or two comment on the tires not being too grippy, we will either be buying Winter tires or try some of the newish all weather ones.
Consumer reports rates some of the all weather tires better than some snow tire, for now I am still looking at options but the Michelins were designed for better mileage .

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
It should handle like any similar sized front wheel drive car. A winter set of wheels will do a passable imitation of a four wheel drive on the road (but not if stuck).

One possible advantage the Niro might have over a standard FWD car is better ground clearance and better fender clearance. Both caused problems in a full winter I experienced in New Hampshire 10 years ago in my PT Cruiser. My standard tires also sucked in the snow. The traction control on my 2001 is not up to modern standards and sometimes required half a dozen tries to make it to the top of a short hill before where I lived.

I'm expecting the Niro (if I buy one) to be far better than the PT, especially with winter tires. In my opinion, the only people who really need 4WD are those who live in rural areas not served by snowplows (or tardy snowplows). And of course bad drivers. Traditional 4WD needed for really extreme conditions always drop mpg, not really what hybrid buyers are usually about. If 4WD is what you really truly need, look at the Nissan Rouge hybrid (33 mpg combined). The Honda RAV4 hybrid is a much less capable 4WD. These are pretty much your only options in smaller "crossovers".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!
My Niro and I make enough trips to the snow this winter, I can tell you that the car is going very well and with temperatures of -6 to -10 degrees the car does not show any problems
Driving with snow is very good, although I have put my winter wheels for safer driving
In a forum in Spanish of users of Kia I have a post with comments and photos of my adventures in the snow
in Spanish it is called the post "Y el Niro se fue a la nieve" (and the niro went to the snow) in the forum kiafaq.com

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with driving the Niro in snow? I live in upstate NY! Thank you!
Also Upstate NY here, Plattsburgh. Last Saturday, 12/23, we had freezing rain @ 30 degrees, then it warmed up to 35, rain, back to snow, needless to say we had ice, slush, snow, in that order, on the roads. We have installed 4 Goodyear Ultragrip snow tires, this car is FANTASTIC in these conditions!! Our previous cars, with snow tires, would experience the occasional slight skid/slip, and you would sometimes hear the anti lock brakes kick in when coming to a stop. So far this Niro has not skidded ONCE nor have the anti lock brakes ever kicked in. So far this is the best car hands down that I have ever driven in these challenging winter conditions! Go Niro!

·
Registered
227 Posts
edderah- I haven't driven through heavy snow yet, but like you had something even worse- snow/sleet mix, then quickly colder at night which is black-ice conditions. The interstate had been salted so was not bad, but the secondary roads had the sheen on the asphalt that means potential black-ice. The Niro performed very well. At no time did I slip or feel skittish. No ALB. Just very controlled driving. Toward the end of trip I almost missed an entrance to a development with two one-way roads and a rounded curb in the middle. I stupidly slowed down/braked quickly to make the turn. I remember thinking if it had been my old car I probably would have just kept skidding right into the curb. Instead in the Niro it tracked and slowed straight ahead-just like a dry road. I am really impressed so far with the handling, thank goodness.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don’t have the level or experience or frequency you guys do in upstate NY buy in Northern NJ here I hadn’t one snowy commute and likewise was quite impressed. I don’t typically do snow tires around here but have found it helpful to have all seasons which get better ratings for snow, so I was a little concerned about the Michelin Energy Savers.
However on that drive I turned up one snowy residential street at a decent uphill angle and the ESC light flashed but it kept control and didn’t skid at all. Likewise my street and driveway are hilly and the driveway wasn’t yet shoveled/plowed (only a few inches at that point) and again I didn’t skid or slip at all. Definitely better than I’d experienced in the past when I had tired with better snow ratings.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don’t have the level or experience or frequency you guys do in upstate NY buy in Northern NJ here I hadn’t one snowy commute and likewise was quite impressed. I don’t typically do snow tires around here but have found it helpful to have all seasons which get better ratings for snow, so I was a little concerned about the Michelin Energy Savers.
However on that drive I turned up one snowy residential street at a decent uphill angle and the ESC light flashed but it kept control and didn’t skid at all. Likewise my street and driveway are hilly and the driveway wasn’t yet shoveled/plowed (only a few inches at that point) and again I didn’t skid or slip at all. Definitely better than I’d experienced in the past when I had tired with better snow ratings.
I've heard of some all seasons that perform well in winter, and i've personally noticed some with great looking tread, and some that look like they shouldn't even be used in summer rain. For anyone that knows their climate well and their tires even better I'm sure they're a good choice for some. Weather here is whacky, like most of the country the last several years. Two years ago we hit 74 degrees on Christmas eve. Past few winters, very very little snow, but in this area, we could, and have gotten, a 3 foot blizzard. Summer can bring us into the high 90's with high humidity. Just LOVE the variety,,,, NOT!!!! For me, ideally, at my age now (50), the perfect climate is the Pacific Northwest,,,,,,,,, perpetual Fall weather year round (50's) with the occasional summer deadly killer heat wave (80!) and occasional winter snow storm (baby powder dusting melted and gone by 10am!).

·
Registered
68 Posts
just had a long drive on snowy roads in a Mi state park on my stock tires, 2018 touring. the traction control works great. I wont be getting any snow tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yea today has been the worst snow driving so far and my touring has been sliding around but compared to other front wheel drive cars I have driven, this niro is just a bit better. probably because of the traction control.

·
Registered
178 Posts
just had a long drive on snowy roads in a Mi state park on my stock tires, 2018 touring. the traction control works great. I wont be getting any snow tires.
I added 4 Goodyear Ultra Grip snow tires (no studs) in October. I've been on snow, ice, freezing rain, all on the same road surface at the same time, and I gotta say this thing is the best vehicle I've ever driven in such weather. I've never had AWD so nothing to compare it to, but this Niro, the ABS hasn't even kicked in yet, not once, and that's something I got used to with other cars over the years in such weather, mostly when coming to a stop on a slippery surface.

I will have the stock Michelin's reinstalled in Spring however. The snow tires dropped mileage down to 50mpg highway (at temperatures outdoors in the 50's) down from the 57.7 ave I was seeing Summer/Fall with the Michelins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've driving to my cabin a few times and I don't plow the last bit of the road in case I can do without. I think the Niro handles ok and the ground clearance is good compared to other basic cars. I've got studded Continental winter tires so I'm not expecting any issues either.
I managed once to get stuck in deep snow but that was purely my own stupidity, not the car's fault.

·
Registered
74 Posts
New Purchase from dealer into snow storm

Bought my 2018 EX three Saturdays ago. Drove out at night in the middle of a snow storm. Vehicle handled great except for the flat tire on an interstate about a mile away from the dealership. Managed to find a safe place to pull over. Found a razor blade in the tire. Removed and then used the Tire Mobility Kit. It worked fine and got me home. Dealer replaced tire and kit at no charge. Bought a new full size rim, new tire, scissor jack and a lug wrench which I had, all for about $160. All items purchased at different locations. Removed the foam tray and the full size spare fits nicely where it belongs. I put the scissor jack and tools in the plastic bins just above the spare level and under the hatch. Secured the jack by expanding it in the bin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice to hear that the Tire Mobility Kit is actually working, especially in bad conditions where you really need it. I was not that convinced before I read this :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just returned from a March cross-country trip (USA, Route 80 from SF to Chicago, then 90 to Boston). Thru heavy snow at times. A+ rating in the snow/slush/ice in whiteout blizzard conditions. Handled better (in worse conditions) than my old Subaru Outback AWD ever did in the snow. The traction control works very well, IMO. Stock Michelin Green tires. Really impressed with inclement weather handling performance, far better than I expected.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts