Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title implies, I have a 2021 Niro LX (key-start, not push-button). I imagine it has an engine immobilizer (but don't know for sure). I'd like to add an actual alarm that arms itself after a period of time if I forget to arm it and would sound an alarm (siren, honking horn, lights flashing, whatever) if someone broke a window or even just opened a door or hatch.

Is this something I can go to a Kia dealer for or has someone found a third-party solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Every time I hear a car alarm going off everybody ignors it.:unsure:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Standard alarm function is enough ...

Reactions: ArJay

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Standard alarm function is enough ...
Doesn't seem to be any audible alarm. The manual is unclear about whether there's any sort of ignition immobilizer; I guess I'll call Kia to determine this (assuming I can get through to someone who can actually find the info for me).

FINiro has a point; my son said the same thing. He said if I just keep the interior clear of attractive items I should be good. He also mentioned a "Club" (locking the steering wheel to the brake pedal) as an additional dissuasion.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Doesn't seem to be any audible alarm. The manual is unclear about whether there's any sort of ignition immobilizer; I guess I'll call Kia to determine this (assuming I can get through to someone who can actually find the info for me).

FINiro has a point; my son said the same thing. He said if I just keep the interior clear of attractive items I should be good. He also mentioned a "Club" (locking the steering wheel to the brake pedal) as an additional dissuasion.
I had "The Club" once when I had an old Chevy Venture who's power door locks stopped working. The added benifit was when I had to yell at the kids I would pick it up off the floor and shake it then they quited down LOL. The kids always told me I should forget using the club and just put a sign on the window that says "Please steal this car" :eek: :oops:

·
Registered
2021 Niro Hybrid LX
12 Posts
My '21 Niro LX has "alarm" stickers on the front windows. It's not listed on the sticker as an option, so it would've been standard. It even has a red flashing LED on the dash, which would indicate an active alarm.

There'a an extremely easy way to test it. Lower the driver's door window. Lock the doors with the remote, two presses (horn will chirp). Reach in, and manually unlock the door. Pull the outside handle. Alarm will sound.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My '21 Niro LX has "alarm" stickers on the front windows. It's not listed on the sticker as an option, so it would've been standard. It even has a red flashing LED on the dash, which would indicate an active alarm.

There'a an extremely easy way to test it. Lower the driver's door window. Lock the doors with the remote, two presses (horn will chirp). Reach in, and manually unlock the door. Pull the outside handle. Alarm will sound.
Hmm... My car doesn't have a blinking LED. I've tried what you suggested BUT only with one press (no horn but lights flash). I'll try your method in a bit and report back. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Don't see any flashing red light on the dash (after pressing the lock button twice and hearing the horn). I unlocked the car with the fob, turn the ignition on, opened the driver's side window, turned off the car and removed the key, exited the car, used the fob to lock the door, pressed once more and heard the horn. Reached in, unlocked the door manually, and opened it. No alarm. So I guess this LX unit didn't come with an alarm. The question is whether there's an ignition immobilizer present that prevents the car from starting without the proper key/fob. Just in case a reminder is needed: this is a "key-start", not a "push-button-start" unit.

If I don't add an alarm, maybe one of those little blinking light assemblies.

The car does have a "LoJack" tracking system but it doesn't immobilize the car; I'm supposed to call the company to report the car stolen and they transmit the details to the police.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, without trying to hotwire my car, how can I tell whether there's an ignition immobilizer present? The owner's manual really sucks as it seems to believe you've bought the top-of-the-line unit with all the options.

·
Registered
2021 Niro Hybrid LX
12 Posts
If a Kia or Hyundai has anything other than a standard, plain key, it has an ignition immobilizer. My '21 Rio LX base has the plain key, and no keyless entry.

My dealer's website shows the info below as standard on the 2021 LX.

Rectangle Font Circle Number Parallel

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If a Kia or Hyundai has anything other than a standard, plain key, it has an ignition immobilizer. My '21 Rio LX base has the plain key, and no keyless entry.

My dealer's website shows the info below as standard on the 2021 LX.

View attachment 7004
Thanks very much for that info. I might stick one of those flashing red LEDs on the dashboard just to remind the miscreants that the car is, indeed, protected. We never leave anything of value exposed in the car so there won't be anything tempting.
I have found a cheap Viper alarm but BestBuy would probably fubar the installation. 🤣

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
Often what looks like a plain key actually has an immobilizer chip inside that communicates with something in the steering column. I think most cars today have at least some sort of immobilizer installed.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro HEV Touring Special Edition
61 Posts
According to an alarm shop I went to:

Most Kia vehicles do not come with an engine immobilizer. They use Lazer cut keys which are harder to duplicate. I was told with my 2019 forte I would not need any special equipment to install a starter.

The “push to start” vehicles do have an engine immobilizer in them and you need the fob to start the vehicle. They seemed like a reputable and knowledgeable group. I also believe I saw something in the manual on this when I first got my Niro but I can’t be 100% positive.

My 2020 touring SE has a red light but it’s in the center of the dash right up against the windshield. Almost not even noticeable to most people.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I received a detailed eMail reply from the Kia Consumer Assistance Center. Niros with the "foldable fob" do, indeed, utilize an ignition immobilizer. I had missed that section in the PDF manual when I searched (possibly due to a weird indexing of the PDF I downloaded from Kia, maybe just a user error :censored:). Anyway, here's the applicable verbiage:
Font Screenshot

I'll note that the above (section 4 page 8) refers to the "foldable fob" version with keyed start. The keyless version also has the immobilizer.

An earlier eMail from Kia suggested I talk with the Kia service department if I wanted to add a (third-party) alarm. I've decided to pass on that now that I know it has the immobilizer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts