Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Niro Hybrid LX
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all... I've been a Toyota Yaris owner for 15 years, and I love that little car; it's been on 184,000 miles of backroads with me, all over the Pacific Northwest and as far inland as Colorado. But recently I decided that I'd like to finally own something that (1) has cruise control, and (2) has room to sleep in the back when road-tripping. So I looked up lists of crossover vehicles with good gas mileage, and the Niro crushes all of them. (And it's cheaper than most.) I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have much ground clearance, but hey, at least it doesn't have LESS than my Yaris.

Of course, when I started shopping around, I discovered the grim reality of dealer markups (I'm sorry, "regional market adjustments"), and that just annoyed me. So I started casting a wider net, because I know there are SOME dealers out there who aren't doing markups. I found two in Washington state (Bremerton & Kennewick) who are selling Niros for "only" MSRP, but they wouldn't sell to a non-local! A place in Spokane was willing to sell me a car if they ever got some in, but they charge $1k extra to out-of-towners. Finally, I found Kendall Kia in Nampa, Idaho (near Boise): no markup, no ridiculous dealer-installed extras, they know how to work with Oregon DMV, and it's only a 6-hour drive from Portland. My new car — a Niro LX hybrid in "Runway Red" — arrived in Idaho yesterday, but I'm not flying out to get it for a few weeks because I want to include a little springtime sagebrush road trip while I'm out there. The dealership has been great to work with so far, and I hope that continues through the rest of the purchase process.

So now I'm thinking about what sort of stuff I should look into buying for my new car. I know I'm going to need a cargo cover; has anyone tried the $70 no-name ones from Amazon? I also want front seat covers and a set of burly rubber floor mats. Anything else I should think about shopping for while I'm waiting?

P.S. – While doing my taxes, I discovered just how much the federal tax credit and Oregon rebates are for plug-in hybrids! If I'd known, I probably would have bought a Niro PHEV instead. Oops. Oh well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was just looking at Bremerton Kia and saw they had $1200 - $2200 dealer adjustments added onto the price so they don't do msrp anymore either. I do have a phev on order from Puyallup and it's also over msrp but it's either that or wait for 2+ years ? for prices to come down. The new 23+ models may even be more desirable and likely start at a higher msrp as well, so even waiting the actual price may not be any better. Then they are saying fuel demand is going back up again and prices are likely to go up again, maybe because it's getting into spring/summer and people have gotten use to $5 a gallon gas by cutting out something else like eating out. So that will make any hybrid even more desirable and expensive.

·
Registered
2022 Niro Hybrid LX
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just looking at Bremerton Kia and saw they had $1200 - $2200 dealer adjustments added onto the price so they don't do msrp anymore either.
West Hills Kia as a big banner on their web site that says "NO DEALER MARK-UP" on all but a few models, but I see that they do mention "dealer add-ons." From what I remember of my conversations with them, some of the extra charges are for a pulsing brake light system. I don't know what the remainder is, but they'd like to convince you that it's something very important, like rustproofing or etching the VIN into the windows. (And I suspect they've been forcing those on people since before the current supply issues.)

·
Registered
173 Posts
So now I'm thinking about what sort of stuff I should look into buying for my new car. I know I'm going to need a cargo cover; has anyone tried the $70 no-name ones from Amazon? I also want front seat covers and a set of burly rubber floor mats. Anything else I should think about shopping for while I'm waiting?

P.S. – While doing my taxes, I discovered just how much the federal tax credit and Oregon rebates are for plug-in hybrids! If I'd known, I probably would have bought a Niro PHEV instead. Oops. Oh well.
replaced RX350 and to makeup lost capacities, installed a hitch for light trailer, bike rack, cargo rack, crossbar to mount rooftop, all weather mat on all three rolls and wind reflector to leave windows open. if you are planning to car-camping, wind reflector is a must. least used accessory is the cargo cover and most used is the hitch. I have pictures in my profile as an example if you need a baseline. ground clearance on gen1 Niro is at 7.5 inches which equal previous gen RAV4. second gen 2023 Niro lost an inch to 6.5 which will be more closer to the Yaris.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
The dealer I got my Niro from (Car Pros Renton) puts the flashing third brake light on everything they sell, including their dealerships for other brands. Since it's a reasonable safety feature, and not terribly expensive, I was OK with it. I don't remember then having any other dealer add-ons, but then that was three years ago. Right now every Kia dealer near me has a minimum of $5000 over MSRP on virtually everything, but then so does almost every other brand. There simply isn't enough stock on hand to satisfy demand, so that's what one has to live with. Either that, or spend the time searching far and wide for a dealer that doesn't do it.

I'm not really surprised a dealer that's not located near the state border doesn't want to sell to out of state customers. They simply might not know/want to know how to deal with the licensing and taxing requirements of your home state. Dealers in Idaho are well known for welcoming out of state buyers. I believe one of the largest dealers in the country is just across the state line from Spokane and makes a point to advertise even here on the west side of the Cascades.

·
Registered
2022 Niro Hybrid LX
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I believe one of the largest dealers in the country is just across the state line from Spokane and makes a point to advertise even here on the west side of the Cascades.
Yeah, that place (Dave Smith in Kellogg) has been doing it for decades, and they've run advertising a lot further away than western Washington. I think, back in the day, they even ran specials where they offered to pay your airfare to Spokane.

·
Registered
2022 Niro Hybrid LX
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
replaced RX350 and to makeup lost capacities, installed a hitch for light trailer, bike rack, cargo rack, crossbar to mount rooftop, all weather mat on all three rolls and wind reflector to leave windows open. if you are planning to car-camping, wind reflector is a must.
Good heavens. You must have kids. For me, everything needed for camping fits in my Yaris's micro-trunk. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts