Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think most reliable "New" Car --- would not think enough data to announce most reliable overall.

Still GOOD NEWS despite some of the problems reported on here (Surging, Door Handle, Displays).

We like our EX with the Tech Pkg (except don't need a sky window) at over 8000 miles.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Important to note that KIA is the #3 brand on that report just behind Lexus and Toyota who honestly have been the top two brands for decades. It is weird that they claim the Niro to be the most reliable considering it's been out less than a year in the market.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Their methodology is based on their user survey results. If they get enough results to be statistically significant they could it. I?m surprised that with a car released in February that?s not particularly high selling they would have enough but I guess they do.

I would imagine they have to control for it only being current model year results. But in a world where every Niro was perfect for 12 months and then fell into a million little pieces, obviously they wouldn?t know that yet. It?s promising that it rates do highly in its first year, which hopefully bodes well for mid and long term reliability (especially since Kia is pretty highly rated in general), but obviously we?ll find out together.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Consumer Reports gives the new Niro the very top spot in reliability - I'm happy to hear this.
Then later on they stop recommending the Hyundai Tucson with the DCT transmission which is deemed unreliable. The Hyundai forum has some scary posts about the Tucson transmission.
I believe both vehicles have the same transmission, more or less with minor variations.
I wish Consumer Reports would be more consistent in their ratings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just for clarification, it's not Consumer Reports' "opinion," it's the result of the annual survey of members who own the car. It's a statistical analysis. For the Niro, they compared the frequency of repairs reported against all other 2017 cars. The Niro performed very well, and placed in the top category of reliability. That's particularly impressive for a new model, even more so considering the hybrid components.

They track each year's model over time and update the results annually. Hopefully it stays at the top!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts