Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Niro. Two weeks ago the oil pressure light came on, then went off, came back on again for a few seconds and then went off again. I took it to my mechanic who found nothing wrong. He change the oil and filter. The same thing happened again a week later. the first time was in town, the second time was on the freeway at 70 mph. The dealer now will change the oil and filter again because they couldn't find any cause any suggestions?

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
266 Posts
It would be interesting to know the oil change history of this vehicle.

A low oil level could cause the oil pump to cavitate and 'lose' pressure. A clogged oil filter could momentarily cause a dip in pressure but the bypass valve should immediately open.

A good mechanic would measure the oil pressure at different rpm's to see how the oil pump is performing- Check the oil pressure switch for operation and for any blockages in its mounting-evaluate the oil condition for any type of gunk. Also check the electrical connection.

They make troubleshooting devices where a mechanic can install an oil pressure monitor gauge that can be teed into the cars oil pressure loop and then the mechanic can actually monitor oil pressure as the car is being driven to evaluate the sensing system and the engines actual oil pressure under actual driving conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/DASBET-Engin...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9RCN9B2GXAR4CSPC5938

This is a more professional unit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be interesting to know the oil change history of this vehicle.

A low oil level could cause the oil pump to cavitate and 'lose' pressure. A clogged oil filter could momentarily cause a dip in pressure but the bypass valve should immediately open.

A good mechanic would measure the oil pressure at different rpm's to see how the oil pump is performing- Check the oil pressure switch for operation and for any blockages in its mounting-evaluate the oil condition for any type of gunk. Also check the electrical connection.

They make troubleshooting devices where a mechanic can install an oil pressure monitor gauge that can be teed into the cars oil pressure loop and then the mechanic can actually monitor oil pressure as the car is being driven to evaluate the sensing system and the engines actual oil pressure under actual driving conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/DASBET-Engin...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9RCN9B2GXAR4CSPC5938
Thanks! i am presuming the dealer did all that. The oil has been changed on or just before the schedule. 47,000 on the car.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
41 Posts
I have a 2017 Niro. Two weeks ago the oil pressure light came on, then went off, came back on again for a few seconds and then went off again. I took it to my mechanic who found nothing wrong. He change the oil and filter. The same thing happened again a week later. the first time was in town, the second time was on the freeway at 70 mph. The dealer now will change the oil and filter again because they couldn't find any cause any suggestions?
If the light were to stay on for any appreciable amount of time and oil pressure was actually low, major damage could occur to the engine. The fact that the light came on and went off and you did not hear any loud noises from the engine makes me think it could be an oil pressure switch problem.
I assume the car is under powertrain warranty so if not diagnosed correctly, and major engine damage occurs, the manufacturer will have to cover the repair cost. It would be a small cost for them to replace the oil pressure switch and then monitor from that point. Changing oil is not going to solve the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the light were to stay on for any appreciable amount of time and oil pressure was actually low, major damage could occur to the engine. The fact that the light came on and went off and you did not hear any loud noises from the engine makes me think it could be an oil pressure switch problem.
I assume the car is under powertrain warranty so if not diagnosed correctly, and major engine damage occurs, the manufacturer will have to cover the repair cost. It would be a small cost for them to replace the oil pressure switch and then monitor from that point. Changing oil is not going to solve the problem.
Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Years ago had similar symptoms on an old truck. turned out to be a sticking bypass valve. When engine revs up valve opens and sticks open. Pressure drops until valve unsticks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts