Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. Just picked up the first of this model to be released in Canada. Only 12 available in the west and less than 50 for the entire Canadian 2019 model run (2018s did not even make it apparently).
Mine is called the SX here. It's fully loaded with every option. Black/black.
I truly love it, but it's only a placeholder for the EV version. If it had 80km of range and a 6.6kW charger I'd stick with it over the EV, but for me charging speed is a big deal since I can't charge at home.
3.3kW means I'm sitting in the car for a couple of hours a day. At least it's amazingly comfortable!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you tell me where you bought your vehicle from? I have asking KIA Canada and dealers about the availability of PHEV and been getting the run around. How did you find out that there are 12 in the West and 50 in all of Canada?

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
Greetings. Just picked up the first of this model to be released in Canada. Only 12 available in the west and less than 50 for the entire Canadian 2019 model run (2018s did not even make it apparently).
Mine is called the SX here. It's fully loaded with every option. Black/black.
I truly love it, but it's only a placeholder for the EV version. If it had 80km of range and a 6.6kW charger I'd stick with it over the EV, but for me charging speed is a big deal since I can't charge at home.
3.3kW means I'm sitting in the car for a couple of hours a day. At least it's amazingly comfortable!

Hi Orac,

I dont know where you live or come from, but.. as per yesterday (2018-10-18), my contact tells me that in the Kia Canada inventory system, there are no 2019 PHEV available on Canadian soil. They are some vehicules in transport on the boat as we speak, but none available in dealers and no numbers are displayed on how much vehicules will be available..

Only 2 versions will be available: EX Premium (~ 36000$) and the SX (~ 39000$)... We can order them now, but it comes with a 4.49% interest on 84 months financing.

If what i say is wrong, show us some pictures of this great PHEV moel ic Canada.! :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Managed to get one in the lower mainland, British Columbia. Saw one other. I had to place a deposit in hopes of getting the PHEV or EV, and somehow lucked out with the PHEV. Getting the runaround from Kia regarding EV.
I was informed that there are only 12 for the western provinces out of a total of 47 for Canada's 2019 model year. My guess, based on arrival time, is that the few dozen heading to Eastern Canada will be showing up there any time now. Maybe placing a deposit like I did will help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
Managed to get one in the lower mainland, British Columbia. Saw one other. I had to place a deposit in hopes of getting the PHEV or EV, and somehow lucked out with the PHEV. Getting the runaround from Kia regarding EV.
I was informed that there are only 12 for the western provinces out of a total of 47 for Canada's 2019 model year. My guess, based on arrival time, is that the few dozen heading to Eastern Canada will be showing up there any time now. Maybe placing a deposit like I did will help.

You got the one from West Coast Kia in Pitt Meadows! ?? that is very cool!!

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
BTW, cost was $39650. In BC add 12% tax and take $2500 rebate.

Over here, same price, 15% tax and goverment rebate of 4000$ .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was notified on 24 October by North Shore Vancouver they had just received a White 2019 Niro PHEV. I wanted a dark blue one and saw one advertised in Victoria. Kaveh organized a dealer exchange and I picked it up 30 October (whoever transported it must have enjoyed it- Victoria advertised it with 11km, should be ~130 to North Vancouver, but it had over 300km when I received it).

I really enjoy the car for my commute (basically cross town from near UBC to SFU Burnaby). It is about 26km each way. Don't mind the lack of an electric heater. Have not taken it a long drive yet.

I am curious how many others Canadian PHEV's are out there- Kia Canada still only has the regular hybrid on their website.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Kia Niro Phev

I ordered a white Niro SX 3 weeks ago.
I have been reading the forums which only heightens my anticipation:rolleyes:
I have solar panels at my house and an solar inverter with a Level 11 charger.
So my lucky wife will be driving on pure sunshine . Initially it was a hard sell but she is coming around.
One question ; on a level 11 charger what amperage do you use . I have an option to use 40a or 30a
Luckily I put the car order in prior to the rebate drop .

·
Super Moderator
483 Posts
So my lucky wife will be driving on pure sunshine . Initially it was a hard sell but she is coming around.
One question ; on a level 11 charger what amperage do you use . I have an option to use 40a or 30a
The PHEV can only accept 16 amps, so it doesn't really matter what your set your equipment to. The car will only draw 16 amps, regardless of what your EVSE is capable of supporting.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by a Level 11 charger. I've only heard of Level 1 or 2. If you intended that to be the Roman numeral 2 that is II (as in two capital I letters, not the numbers) :)

·
Super Moderator
466 Posts
Hi @[email protected], and welcome to the forum! :)
Do you mean that your solar power system can give a 240v output with a level 2 charger plugged into it ?

In my case, i have installed a 50A breaker in my electric panel and a 30A level 2 charger. Like said @atc98092, the PHEV can take easely a 16A charger, but if in the future, you get another or change for a full 100% EV, a 16A will be saturated and will take soooo much time to charge a bigger battery.. mine takes 2h15 min from 0 to full.

Btw, where are you guy's from in Canada ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a standard level 2 charger at home (not smart) and it has something called solar switch to change the ampage between 3, 9, 16 and 32. We have to set it on 3 to ensure we charge from the panels during the day rather than out the grid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I finally was able to by a Niro PHEV EX Premium with all the goodies except the sun roof, which I could care less about, in December. For almost 2 years I was trying to buy one. They were just not available in Texas. Kia and the dealership told me I couldn't order one. I ended up having to have one shipped from Denver to Dallas. My cost.

I love this vehicle. Kia has a kind of weird method of auto production. Great vehicles that are available all around the world -- if you can find one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Comon! He means Level II, like in 2. Good grief.

And one must remember that the vehicle itself has the charger. The input is just some electrons from a station. The charger will only accept so much. You can't buy a "bigger" charger because that is counter intuitive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts