Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
According to my dealer, I'm out of luck and the only way to buy a Niro is from any dealer that may happen to have one left. Or wait for the 2019 model.
Do you think the dealer is correct/truthful?
I'll post the exchange below :
What state are you in?

Utah dealers in June told me they couldn't ever get any PHEVs as Kiausa was prioritizing states with state rebates/credits beyond the federal credit.

We had to go to Colorado to get ours. It was a bit of a hassle buying out of state but I'm now registered in Utah with Utah plates.

·
Registered
144 Posts
According to my dealer, I'm out of luck and the only way to buy a Niro is from any dealer that may happen to have one left. Or wait for the 2019 model.
Do you think the dealer is correct/truthful?
I'll post the exchange below :
Yes that's the case and typical for this time of year. Just had it happen to me!

·
Registered
401 Posts
What state are you in?

Utah dealers in June told me they couldn't ever get any PHEVs as Kiausa was prioritizing states with state rebates/credits beyond the federal credit.

We had to go to Colorado to get ours. It was a bit of a hassle buying out of state but I'm now registered in Utah with Utah plates.
Another thing to keep in mind is the Niro PHEV is not exactly high volume in the US. Only a few hundred ( 281 vs 2439 Niro HEV) imported and sold last month for all 50 states.

https://www.hybridcars.com/june-2018-hybrid-cars-sales-dashboard/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you tried carguru or truecar or such. Might turn up something. Thats how I found mine when nothing was local.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just looked on Kia.com and there are now three PHEVs near me: an LX, an EX, and an EX Premium. A couple of weeks ago there was only one. I don't know where they're coming from but they still can be found.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I looked ok Kia.com and sure enough Austin Texas suddenly has some (I'm in Houston) so that's still inside my state and only a 2 hour drive, so it looks like thats what I'll be doing. I'm still pondering whether to wait for the 2019 model though... Do you guys think 2019 will still get tax credits?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Niro PHEV Tax Credit & Tariffs

Even before the 2018 Niro PHEV was released, I read articles that said Kia was going to only release a limited quantity of the Plug In models and would target "green" states because Kia believed the PHEV had a better chance of selling in those states. Last year when congress revised the tax codes, they came close to eliminating the federal tax credit for electric car purchases. Then there's the current market speculation surrounding proposed tariffs on imported vehicles. Just this week Experian said that a 25% tariff on imported cars and parts could raise the price of a car in the U.S. an average of $3,300 to $5,100 even though many of those vehicles are assembled at U.S. factories. There's no telling if those tariffs will actually be imposed but if buyers are on the fence about buying a 2018 Niro PHEV vs a 2019 model, is the risk waiting worth taking? I didn't think so. I purchased a 2018 model four weeks ago. And when I complete my federal taxes in early 2019 I'll be taking a $4,543 tax credit which will more than pay for the increased cost difference between a Niro PHEV and a Niro HEV. I've been running on all electric since taking delivery except for using one sixteenth of a tank of gas for the two hour ride home from the dealership. I'm actually looking forward to using some gas in a few weeks when we take our bi-monthly trip to Costco and Walmart. No regrets here about buying a 2018 model.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The estimates I've read about possible car price increases are $2,000 for domestically produced cars (existing tariffs on steel and aluminum, and including possible upcoming car parts tariff). Up to 5,000 for imported cars. That news, and something of a continued surge in car sales may also reduce negotiation power of buyers with dealers on current stock, so I suspect out the door costs of a new car have already risen some.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are plenty in California where I bought mine a couple months ago. kia.com inventory shows 76 2018 Niro PHEVs within 50 miles of me. San Francisco area. I am pretty sure they targeted CA where these are very popular.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am getting almost 4000 below msrp on edmunds. I thought you cannot get good deal unless you negotiate yourself. Plus the shortage of cars.

Debating if I should pull the trigger or go thr costco program

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
i am getting almost 4000 below msrp on edmunds. I thought you cannot get good deal unless you negotiate yourself. Plus the shortage of cars.

Debating if I should pull the trigger or go thr costco program
That is a good deal. Better than you will get from Costco.

·
Registered
3 Posts
there is such a confusion since they call it niro for both PHEV and non-PHEV.

I did VIN search and that also doesnt clarify anything. The dealers are frequently quoting non PHEV though they mention in quote its PHEV. The MSRP they mention doesnt match that of PHEV

very frustrating at this time

·
Registered
289 Posts
There are plenty in California where I bought mine a couple months ago. kia.com inventory shows 76 2018 Niro PHEVs within 50 miles of me. San Francisco area. I am pretty sure they targeted CA where these are very popular.
If you go out looking for some in person i won't mind hearing about dealer allocations because that to me is a real indication on how these are being moved and at what pace.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting, there were no PHEVs in my state as of a couple weeks ago but now there are a few. Dealers have definitely restocked somehow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts