Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Niro PHEV, but the Crosstrek PHEV was one of the PEHV's on my list (was looking for a PHEV for my new car). The Crosstrek seemed similar in dimensions and with AWD I think is a "true" crossover. I did like the Crosstrek except for the electric range was only 16 miles (I assume because of the AWD) and it only came in one (basically premium) trim package so it had a lot of extra bells and whistles I didn't really care about for a bigger price tag than the Niro EX PHEV I ended up with (which has all the features I *required* ).

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
I traded a 2018 Outback for my Niro, and I would have happily gone with the Crosstrek instead. I really like all the Subaru safety features, and Eyesight works very well. The reason I didn't go with another Subaru is that first, the closest dealer with one in stock was in Central California, and I'm not going to go 900 miles to buy a car. The other, and most significant, was the range. The AWD shouldn't make that huge of a difference in range. The battery is 8.8 kWh, while ours are 8.9. I think the Sube should have been at least 20 miles. Also, the battery does intrude slightly on read storage, while the Niro rear storage is as flat as the hybrid version. I had 14 bags of bark in mine last week (with room for a few more), and I don't think the Crosstrek could have held that much.

Two things would make the Niro PHEV a perfect car (in my opinion, of course). A battery with enough range to go 40 miles or more, and a little more powerful electric motor so it wouldn't be necessary to fire up the ICE when climbing long hills. There's a road near me that has a 45 MPH speed limit, and I can't maintain that speed up the hill without the ICE. Wouldn't take much more power to stay EV, maybe 20% at most.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Two things would make the Niro PHEV a perfect car (in my opinion, of course). A battery with enough range to go 40 miles or more, and a little more powerful electric motor so it wouldn't be necessary to fire up the ICE when climbing long hills.
Already available, the Niro EV! Even more room in the back, and you can have a spare tire.

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
Already available, the Niro EV! Even more room in the back, and you can have a spare tire.
Full EV doesn't fit my lifestyle yet. After I retire, and when my Niro lease ends, I'm almost positive I'll be going full EV. Don't know yet what car that will be, as there will be lots of choices available by then. Based on my experience with the Niro so far, it will be one of the finalists, that's for sure! :D

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
Niro beats the Crosstrek in nearly every metric. Unless you absolutely need AWD, the Niro is the better buy.
The Subaru safety features are a little better, in particular rear auto braking. That saved me from backing into a neighbor's car when we both backed out of driveways at the same time. But other than that, I agree the Niro is overall a much nicer car and a better buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts