Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious...the only differences I see with the Touring editon vs the EX Premium Package are wheel size, interior color options (light gray with electric blue accents) and fuel economy due to the wheels.

We are in the market for a EX Premium Package but wanted the light gray interior but it's only in the Touring package. We love the fuel economy potential of the car running on the smaller wheels and less bumpy being on larger profile tires.

I guess I'm wondering if changing the wheels out would essentially make it an "EX Premium Package" Niro? Thoughts..? Is it crazy?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I believe there are more factors with the touring Edition that decreases its MPGs other than Wheel and Tire combination. The smaller wheels and tires give the EX better MPG but other factors such as added weight to the touring package affects it also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe there are more factors with the touring Edition that decreases its MPGs other than Wheel and Tire combination. The smaller wheels and tires give the EX better MPG but other factors such as added weight to the touring package affects it also.
If so, what would be added since the EX Premium has every bell and whistle the Touring has aside from the wheels? :confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
If so, what would be added since the EX Premium has every bell and whistle the Touring has aside from the wheels? :confused:
I think the previous poster is thinking of the 2017 model, not the 2018. I wish they had the EX premium when I got my NIRO last year because I would have preferred the higher MPG with the 16 in tires but wanted all the bells and whistles.

If I were you, I'd just go with the black interior EX premium if you want the 16 in wheels. A lot of wasted money downgrading the 18 in tires just for grey.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
The premium package for the EX would bring the two cars into feature parity - for $5,300, about the same cost as the touring. But the touring will end up costing over a thousand dollars more for the 16" wheels and tires. You might be able to negotiate something with your dealer, but any savings would likely subtract from the discount they would have negotiated without an exchange. The 18" wheels wouldn't even make sense as an extra wheelset for winter tires, you want to go narrower, not wider. Lot of money just for an interior color scheme. But since you can afford the top trim, why not?

·
Registered
174 Posts
It doesn't make sense to purchase a touring and then add smaller wheels later for the gas savings because your only going to save like 100-150 a year on gas. My brother went through this same question he got the ex premium.

The price difference between the touring and the ex premium is only like 400-600 dollars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I do like the Grey interior with blue accents. I have the 2018 touring and I can handle the potholes ok so far. hard to judge how the 16 rims would feel but I'm getting poor mpg in this cold weather

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
It doesn't make sense to purchase a touring and then add smaller wheels later for the gas savings because your only going to save like 100-150 a year on gas. My brother went through this same question he got the ex premium.

The price difference between the touring and the ex premium is only like 400-600 dollars.
Unfortunately, this line of reasoning goes downhill fast. Think about how much fuel you can get for $15,000, roughly the cost difference between a Rio and a Niro. That would be about 5,000 gallons, or 150,000 miles in a Rio.

Some of the rationale depends on how long you are going to keep the car (for cost savings justification), or what you want to do for the environment, or what level of luxury you want.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, this line of reasoning goes downhill fast. Think about how much fuel you can get for $15,000, roughly the cost difference between a Rio and a Niro. That would be about 5,000 gallons, or 150,000 miles in a Rio.

Some of the rationale depends on how long you are going to keep the car (for cost savings justification), or what you want to do for the environment, or what level of luxury you want.
Correct! We love the Deep Cerulean Blue w Light Gray/blue Interior...and want the fully loaded version (coming from a 2002 Honda CRV where power windows and keyless entry was a high end feature). Wish Kia offered that interior like the website shows..but it's erroneous as we found out and only avail in Touring. It would be nice to be able to get it all...but now have to compromise in some regard.

We considered PHEV (no sunroof (only avail in Europe), no Cerulean Blue), to EX Premium (interior color not available...contradictory to what Kia.com showed), and now having to buy the Touring (up to 6 MPG fuel hit).

Let's get this deal over with so I can join the Niro family and get rid of my 2002 ..trusty and loyal Honda CRV.

Reactions: 7869
1 - 9 of 9 Posts