Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I'm thinking of towing a braked, 1500lbs camping trailer. I drive a 2017 Niro.
Thoughts?
Has anyone out there done this?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
You shouldn't. Braking and cooling (not to mention engine power) are just not up to the task. Both Hyundai Ioniq and Kia Niro sites have posted optional towing packages that presumably would include better braking and cooling in several countries, but as far as I know, none have been sold.

·
Registered
174 Posts
While I totally agree that "don't" is the right advice, if the choice were not to use the camper or buy a tow vehicle just for a few outings a year, I'd probably tow with it. Judicious careful driving and trailer brakes would likely not be too big a comprimize .

·
Registered
249 Posts
For a few outings per year, it is probably more cost effective to just rent a pickup truck for your camping trips. Then you don't have to worry about towing packages and cooling and power and wear and tear.

That's my plan, if I buy a trailer. Either that or I might buy an old beat-up pickup truck just for towing with.

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Super Moderator
576 Posts
Hello Markov and welcome to the forum!

Like yticolev said, you should not tow with a Niro. In the US and Canada user manual, it is written that towing is not recommended. Some country's like France could say that a tow limit of 1500kg (3300 pounds) can be done on a Niro, If so, and it causes a problem on the car related on a towing issue, the warranty could be void by Kia.

·
Registered
429 Posts
For a few outings per year, it is probably more cost effective to just rent a pickup truck for your camping trips. Then you don't have to worry about towing packages and cooling and power and wear and tear.

That's my plan, if I buy a trailer. Either that or I might buy an old beat-up pickup truck just for towing with.
At least if your " old beat up pickup truck " goes belly up at least you got a place to sleep while help arrives LOL:laugh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whether you want to believe you can tow with or not, Hyundai/Kia made it mounting nuts already welding inside the frame for the hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Sure, easier than making it all different for cars with towing packages. This way, one chassis does double work. Well, three different models (HEV PHEV BEV) with a thousand different trims/options worldwide. Plus a towing package if they ever do it. Right now, it is just brave souls, most of who just use the mounting nuts for a hitch mounted bike rack.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Often those mounting points are used for securing the vehicle in transit as well.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Sure, easier than making it all different for cars with towing packages. This way, one chassis does double work. Well, three different models (HEV PHEV BEV) with a thousand different trims/options worldwide. Plus a towing package if they ever do it. Right now, it is just brave souls, most of who just use the mounting nuts for a hitch mounted bike rack.

I actually tow a small utility trailer with mine. It pulls easy and stops easy. Of course my trailer weighs 100 pounds, not 3500.
I wouldn't say flat out don't do it, but be very careful. Keep the tranny in sport mode to try to keep the (whatever passes for a) torque converter locked up as much as possible and brake REALLY early.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Jason: Wow, that is nice tight, good lookin hitch install, very unobtrusive. Thanks for posting the pics. Can it be as easy as three bolts?
What is the part number and cost?

·
Super Moderator
544 Posts
Actually it is 6 bolts. 3 for each side, but as well there is a bit of plastic that needs to get cut as well. On the driver side the back cover that is around the rear wheel arch, there is a removable plastic cover that you have to trim down. that cover is for access I think to the reverse light bulbs. It is far easier to install with two people as one can hold one side as you install the bolts on the other side. I did mine in about 30 minutes. They sent it with two different packages of bolts and I wasn't smart enough to check them to make sure I had the correct package to fit the welded nut on the frame. it wasn't at all really dificult to install. I am planning on installing a second one for my wifes car so she can attach a hitch mount bike rack.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The piece of plastic is just a cover piece and when doing the install it much easier to understand how little you have to remove. The removed part is underneath and inside and is never seen after installed.

When I installed mine there was no direct plug and play adapter/connector or the lights, so I used a universal no cut type. It just has magnets that detect the current. Now a T adapter is available.

There is also a metal heat protector on the muffler that you have to remove. My guess is that it is there to protect the plastic body parts, but with the hitch there it does the same function.

For some reason the Draw-Tite you have to cut on the facia also, just get the Curt.

Hitches:
https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2017_Kia_Niro.htm

Wiring:
https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2017_Kia_Niro.htm

I used this:
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Tekonsha/119250KIT.html

To run power and brake wires to the rear:
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Curt/C57186.html

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 kia niro lx
13 Posts
Kia niro LX was supposed to b rated to pull 1300 kgs with a towing kit, what happened?
From a kia press release:
EUROPEAN DEBUT FOR NEW KIA NIRO HYBRID CROSSOVER
Published | 17/02/2016
"From Q4 2016, the new Niro will be available with optional towing functionality – rare amongst cars in the hybrid class – allowing owners to tow braked loads of up to 1,300 kg."

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Still a few threads you can post your query on. Probably most here just go to new posts, so we have to read the same post multiple times.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts