Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a Niro with the right rear door handle broken on the lot the day we bought ours...now 9 days later the same right rear on our Niro Touring Ed comes off in her hand..dealership says bring it down tomorrow no appointment needed they'll will fix or order part... I need to go down anyway they said they would trade me gray/silver Niro embroidered mats for my black Niro mats

I need to show a pic of the handle itself...the entire internals are all plastic. This is going to be a problem for all owners

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have only seen Black Niro Mats. Where did you see Gray/Silver ones? Do you have a Part Number? Please take a picture when you get them. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only seen Black Niro Mats. Where did you see Gray/Silver ones? Do you have a Part Number? Please take a picture when you get them. Thanks.
That black shows every speck of dirt.... that why I bought a White Niro but it has black interior and mats. I have never seen the gray mats either until I did a internet search. I called the dealership and they said they'd swap them no prob. I'll take a photo when I get them......but if you want to see some here is what I found on Google

https://www.jenningsmotorgroup.co.uk/shop/kia/niro/mats/

G5143ADE10 Kia Niro Standard Carpet Mats

·
Registered
467 Posts
Door Handles Falling Off (what) -- ''

Beginning to think I made a bad decision on buying this car with surging and display problems that have been reported.

That besides not negotiating the price a lot more than I did.

Still, been happy with the car so far at some over 6000 miles.

Guess all one can do is wait and see. :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Dealers are making a killing on the Niro and the first thing out of their mouth is that Guinness World Record Niro..some of them are charging additional premiums and are getting them...heck just look at Auto Trader dot com.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks saw that on Google also, but it never say Grey color, never says any color. I agree Black shows everything. Will be curious when you get them. Thanks again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That black shows every speck of dirt.... that why I bought a White Niro but it has black interior and mats. I have never seen the gray mats either until I did a internet search. I called the dealership and they said they'd swap them no prob. I'll take a photo when I get them......but if you want to see some here is what I found on Google

https://www.jenningsmotorgroup.co.uk/shop/kia/niro/mats/

G5143ADE10 Kia Niro Standard Carpet Mats
It's the eternal dilemma.....black shows every speck, but gray eventually gets the ground in soiled look that you can never clean out. ( See reconditioned cars soiled gray seats on the used car lots). :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
On the bright side we don't have any more serious issues because looking at what other owners of new cars have gone through, we still have it good. Buying into Kia I always came with the expectation of quality issues like this. Anyone really surprised?

·
Registered
36 Posts
So if one has to park outside, they would be leaving the car unlocked all night?
Sure don't like seeing the all-plastic parts....very disappointing. Wonder if the major car makers use all plastic?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Paul, I'm apprehensive layout the Niro like you. So many issues people are reporting....and i sure dislike the fact fthe door handles are all-plastic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Paul, I'm apprehensive layout the Niro like you. So many issues people are reporting....and i sure dislike the fact fthe door handles are all-plastic.
I wonder how long it takes to re-engineer parts that fail frequently? I imagine all the dealer will do is keep replacing the same exact plastic door handle until then.

Any experts on engineering here?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Niro is at the dealership getting the rear driver side handle replaced.

Opened the door to let my wife out and stood there holding it in the air. It wasn't a very aggressive pull either.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My Niro is at the dealership getting the rear driver side handle replaced.

Opened the door to let my wife out and stood there holding it in the air. It wasn't a very aggressive pull either.
Yikes....I can just imagine showing off my new Niro to my friends and having the door handle come off in front of them. I would die of embarrassment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When we went to the service dept so they could order the parts..there was another Niro (FE model) there with a missing door handle waiting for parts also..another car from on the lot..thats our car and two others now...all the exact same door passenger rear. I need to go out and put tape over our's in case it rains...doubt if it rains and fills the door that it will be covered by warranty

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here is what the inside of your all plastic door handle looks like...
Interesting....I just wonder how long it will take to get a lasting fix.

This thread just jogged my memory. My old Scion xB had a hatch back handle break off. Of course this was after several years of ownership. After I bought the new part, Scion came out with a free replacement. I thought that was good of them being that the warranty was many years passed. I don't know if they changed the design, but it lasted and it was still good a couple of years later when I traded the car in. The car also had zero other problems and I loved it's reliability.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We bought the EX in March. Yesterday (August 11) we had two door handles break on the same day! I would have said my husband doesn't know his own strength but then the same thing happened to me within two hours of the first one breaking. Rear passenger and front passenger. Same issue of a snapped plastic piece, see image below. Local dealership is working to replace, but I am guessing there's a design flaw and there will have to be a more permanent replacement in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Door Handles Falling Off (what) -- ''

Beginning to think I made a bad decision on buying this car with surging and display problems that have been reported.

That besides not negotiating the price a lot more than I did.

Still, been happy with the car so far at some over 6000 miles.

Guess all one can do is wait and see. :eek:
Paul I wouldn't worry about your Niro too much, if at all. Consider that the number of owners on this forum is a fraction of overall owners. An owner that has a problem or thinks they do is much more likely to enter a forum to vent/inquire about it. Your vehicle is covered for 6yr/60k for most things, 10yr/100k for anything drivetrain. Kia has a very good quality history. Also many if not most problems that might arise have a software fix.
I think many of these drive issues are people getting used to a car that transfers power train modes,along with a shifter. At certain points, ie. slowing down ~40MPH which goes to EV, coupled with the downshifting trans, infrequently makes a sort of 'hiccup'. I liken it to the feel of my truck shifting- not as seemless as the usual shift, but not so abrupt it is a problem.
I have had no issues otherwise. Breaking slowly to a stop and accel from start I have down.
As far as buying, it's a shame you have to be ruthless but controlled dealing with car salesmen- and how many people are ruthless? They are not your buddy or agent. It's almost worth it to pay an auto broker $500..? to buy and deliver a car for you, instead of dealing with a profession ranked right down there with politicians and lawyers...:|

·
Registered
109 Posts
Paul I wouldn't worry about your Niro too much, if at all. Consider that the number of owners on this forum is a fraction of overall owners. An owner that has a problem or thinks they do is much more likely to enter a forum to vent/inquire about it. Your vehicle is covered for 6yr/60k for most things, 10yr/100k for anything drivetrain. Kia has a very good quality history. Also many if not most problems that might arise have a software fix.
I think many of these drive issues are people getting used to a car that transfers power train modes,along with a shifter. At certain points, ie. slowing down ~40MPH which goes to EV, coupled with the downshifting trans, infrequently makes a sort of 'hiccup'. I liken it to the feel of my truck shifting- not as seemless as the usual shift, but not so abrupt it is a problem.
I have had no issues otherwise. Breaking slowly to a stop and accel from start I have down.
As far as buying, it's a shame you have to be ruthless but controlled dealing with car salesmen- and how many people are ruthless? They are not your buddy or agent. It's almost worth it to pay an auto broker $500..? to buy and deliver a car for you, instead of dealing with a profession ranked right down there with politicians and lawyers...:|
I agree with Paul relaxing a bit.

However, broken door handles are embarrassing and unacceptable and there are enough reports within this thread alone to denote a problem and not a fluke. I would want to crawl into a hole if I was showing my friends my new car and a door handle broke in my hand. Although they might be rolling on the ground with laughter.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 102 Posts