Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car. Nice.
The panic button was activated twice within 3 days with the key in my pocket. I feel for my neighbors.
The red button is the sane size as the other buttons, not recessed or protected.

Anybody else having these problems?
Solutions

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah the design of the fob is pretty bad in this regard. I've accidentally hit the panic button a number of times with the keys in my pocket. Not sure there's any fix other than just be mindful.

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
I have triggered the alarm on this car more times in the seven months I've had it than all past cars combined. Yes, it's extremely easy to press the button while it's in your pocket. I may have to try the cover that Flash suggests. :)

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The fob is extremely easy to take apart and modify. There is a thread somewhere here that details it. What I did is cut a small piece of a paper clip (about 3/16") and place it in the panic button space internally. No more panic alerts. That modification is easily reversible should you sell the car. There is a plastic actuator on the button itself that would be easy to snip (fingernail clippers) or file, but that is harder to reverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought these immediately because of that same problem. They help tremendously.
View attachment 5867
The fob is extremely easy to take apart and modify. There is a thread somewhere here that details it. What I did is cut a small piece of a paper clip (about 3/16") and place it in the panic button space internally. No more panic alerts. That modification is easily reversible should you sell the car. There is a plastic actuator on the button itself that would be easy to snip (fingernail clippers) or file, but that is harder to reverse.
This is great, I have had the same problem on multiple occasions. Thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have triggered the alarm on this car more times in the seven months I've had it than all past cars combined. Yes, it's extremely easy to press the button while it's in your pocket. I may have to try the cover that Flash suggests. :)
The key fob covers haven’t completely eliminated it. I do still set it off from time to time, but they have reduced the occurrence significantly. Plus they protect the casing from bumps and bruises. I have similar covers for my wife’s Mazda fobs and after 3 years they still look newish.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The modification I mentioned appears to be 100% effective and can be done in 60 seconds. Probably a toothpick fragment will work as well as my tiny piece of paperclip.You could also use an o-ring from the hardware store to stop pocket presses but would still be able to active the panic button with a firm press.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts