Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Most cars do this as it prevents power draw off the battery when the car isn't running preventing the 12 volt battery from running down. I have never owned a car that kept the power ports on when the car was off.

Super Moderator
Most cars do this as it prevents power draw off the battery when the car isn't running preventing the 12 volt battery from running down. I have never owned a car that kept the power ports on when the car was off.
My past VWs did, but I don't think my last one did (2014 Passat TDI)

Registered
Most all cars I have owned with multiple ports leave one on with ignition off. I miss it in my LX.

Registered
If you have the PHEV your 12V battery is really dinky and easy to run down if something was left plugged in. Even the HEV's 12V section is likely not as robust as a traditional ICE's battery. Add in the fact that people today have a lot more devices that draw a lot more power than in the past and you can see why manufacturers are moving away from always on 12V accessory ports. Dead batteries aren't much fun.

Registered
My 2001 PT Cruiser had always on 12 volt supply. But it was a battery killer. In fact, I spent a couple hours with my laptop plugged in once and drained the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts