Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know why the A/C doesn’t work while the Niro is charging. If you’re sitting in your car at a public charger it would be nice to run the A/C. It just blows warm outside air in. It won’t run the compressor. I thought the compressor was electric so it should be able to run while plugged in. My old Volt would run the A/C while it was charging. Kind of frustrating the Niro doesn’t.

I’ve also noticed if you activate remote climate while the Niro is charging it will stop charging for the duration of the remote climate session and it won’t bother to reactivate charging. That’s pretty silly. Every electric car that I know of plus the Volt will continue to charge while remote climate is activated. That’s the whole point to use grid power instead of battery power to run your climate controls.

·
Super Moderator
483 Posts
I had never tried it but you're right it makes no sense. Being able to run the HVAC while plugged in and using that as the power source seems like a no-brainer.

EDIT: I just went into the garage and tried it. My SoC was at 55% and charging. I turned the car on and turned the HVAC temp all the way to low. No question, that wasn't chilled air coming out of the vents. It did continue to charge, as i watched the SoC increase to 56%. That's just so odd.

·
Super Moderator
463 Posts
When you are charging, you cannot start the system that activate's the compressor with the electric motor. You can only run it like running on the ACC. system on a ICE car (radio, etc..).
So yes the A/C should not work when in charging time and sitting in your car...

BUT, i did not try to use the Kia app and start the A/C with it! will try tommorow.!
EDIT 2019-09-12: tried it tonight and as soon as the A/C powers on, the charging goes off (green light).. i had to restart the charge after.!

·
Registered
71 Posts
It’s the little things...

No a/c while charging.
Outrageous annual fees (remote app, map)
And issues with AEB and LKAS that could be fixed with a software update that will never happen.
My first and last experience with a Kia product.
Kia, if you are listening, your policies and issues just grate me the wrong way.

·
Registered
385 Posts
No a/c while charging.
And issues with AEB and LKAS that could be fixed with a software update that will never happen.
Kia, if you are listening, your policies and issues just grate me the wrong way.
:confused:

What issues with AEB and LKAS are you talking about? Both systems have limitations that are common to a lot of vehicles. Even Tesla has problems with these systems and they have some of the most mature examples around.

Outrageous fees? Compared to BMW that charges an annual fee for CarPlay? The UVO fees are not much different that what OnStar charges and are actually cheaper in some cases. Remote telematics costs money to provide and I don't have a problem with Kia charging for them. I like the fact that they have different levels of service so that I can pick and choose.

This is my first Kia, but I would definitely consider another one if / when I ever need a new car. Just MHO.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I like how the LKAS and AEB are able to be configured.

For LKAS on our vehicle we have three choices to choose from for how it affects the driving experience. One is somewhat aggressive as far as helping to keep the car between the lines and giving a warning, The second setting also assists with steering but less aggressively and sounds a warning, The 3rd setting is a warning with no assist. It also allows the option to turn the system off if you want.

On AEB we have three settings to monitor the distance before the system engages and also the option to turn it off.

My personal preference is to have these systems to work aggressively I'ii take all the help I can get in the modern driving environment.

One other feature is that the driver has the ability to take over immediately from these systems if necessary.

This was our first KIA vehicle, 4 months into the experience I and still happy with the value I received for the money I paid. No other vehicle we looked at could match the features for the cost.

·
Super Moderator
463 Posts
No a/c while charging.
Hope you have a great day! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts