Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a 2019 Kia Niro sx touring model with the understanding that this car should get 5.0l per 100/km. Well after having 4500km on the car now I have gotten 750km on the first tank to now 618km on the most recent full. The L/100km ranges from 6.0L/100km up to as high as 11L/100km. And when looking at the real time it shows like 4.7L/100km to 5.1. I get no answers from Kia at all. Not happy and would never buy another one. For that kind of Milage I could have spend half the cost and got a 20k car for the same range.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You recently purchased a Niro in cold weather getting less than rated mpg. Now it is colder and you are getting even less. Is this different from any other car you've ever owned?

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I recently purchased a 2019 Kia Niro sx touring model with the understanding that this car should get 5.0l per 100/km. Well after having 4500km on the car now I have gotten 750km on the first tank to now 618km on the most recent full. The L/100km ranges from 6.0L/100km up to as high as 11L/100km. And when looking at the real time it shows like 4.7L/100km to 5.1. I get no answers from Kia at all. Not happy and would never buy another one. For that kind of Milage I could have spend half the cost and got a 20k car for the same range.
The laws of physics do apply to all vehicles, the higher the speed and the lower the temperature, the higher fuel use is.
On my 2017 LX model I have averaged 47 MPG (5.0 l/100 km) over 30000 miles in all kinds of conditions, right at the government rating. The lowest average for the whole tank was 31 MPG (7.6 l/100 km) in flat terrain with high wind and temperature below freezing. The best was 63 MPG (3.7 l/100 km) in very hot weather, rolling hills and lower speed in the range 45-65 MPH.
All the values are calculated, not what the vehicle reports, as it tend to be on the optimistic side and reporting better values (not always, but most of the time).
The Niro is the most fuel efficient car I have driven and if you do not go too fast (over 70 MPH 112 km/h) and pay attention how you drive, it will be relatively easy to achieve values that exceed the government estimate.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The Niro is the most fuel efficient car I have driven and if you do not go too fast (over 70 MPH 112 km/h) and pay attention how you drive, it will be relatively easy to achieve values that exceed the government estimate.
My personal mpg lifetime average is above the EPA rating. I do drive like grandma should (bless her heart). But I don't beat the EPA rating on a winter tank of gas!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our winter temps right now are like 8-10 degrees so I’m not sure I would call that cold winter weather. And almost every car I have driven cold weather or not my fuel economy has never dropped this much

·
Super Moderator
637 Posts
Our winter temps right now are like 8-10 degrees so I’m not sure I would call that cold winter weather. And almost every car I have driven cold weather or not my fuel economy has never dropped this much
if you consider that the MPG drops as a percentage, then the actual winter MPG drop is much larger with a hybrid. 15% of 50 is a much larger number than 15% of 25. Also don't forget that with hybrids, the engine has to run to provide cabin heat, so the engine is running under scenarios that in warmer weather it would be turned off.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Also don't forget that with hybrids, the engine has to run to provide cabin heat, so the engine is running under scenarios that in warmer weather it would be turned off.
Ding-ding! That's huge especially for the PHEV. Where I burn absolutely no gas in warm weather driving (999mpg indicated) that goes down to 100-200mpg in the cold just from the ICE running to provide cabin heat. In fact even though the ICE is just idling and driving the HSG to recover some of that energy to store in the battery, I get almost exactly the same EV range as in the summer with the AC on. So the car is actually capturing very little of the energy from the ICE and most of it is either flowing out the tailpipe or just warming the engine compartment, lost either way. Now, obviously, this is an extreme example but it illustrates how sensitive hybrids that use the ICE for heat are to temperature when it comes to efficiency.

·
Registered
293 Posts
@New-niro you never said what your tire pressure is set at. Below 36 psi will lower your mpg. Using winter tires or all-seasons? Winter tires drop mpg too. Most of us run higher psi numbers in the winter. Try 39-40 psi. Report back if that helps. I’d also like to know what your driving score is. What percent is your driving normal/aggressive/eco? The Niro will tell you in the center instrument panel LCD.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m in south Florida in winter, very mild temps70-82F, and I just purchased a 2017 Niro touring launch with 36,000 miles on it. Calculated mpg at the pump each fill up and I’m getting average 35 mpg. I have 2,000 miles on it and also contacted Kia about it. No results. Dealer says the car is fine. I just sold my 2011 Prius with 345k miles on original
Engine for 2k. It got 38-42 all day long even though the engine had wear (used to get 46-52 for many years). I dive 60-70% highway, 70-80 mph on highway. Never made any difference in the Prius how aggressive I drove.
this car’s MPG is GREATLY affected by high speeds. I’m very disappointed in the car. I wanted something a bit higher up than the Prius, so I got the Niro. I wish I’d bought a Toyota RAV4.

·
Super Moderator
637 Posts
I’m in south Florida in winter, very mild temps70-82F, and I just purchased a 2017 Niro touring launch with 36,000 miles on it. Calculated mpg at the pump each fill up and I’m getting average 35 mpg. I have 2,000 miles on it and also contacted Kia about it. No results. Dealer says the car is fine. I just sold my 2011 Prius with 345k miles on original
Engine for 2k. It got 38-42 all day long even though the engine had wear (used to get 46-52 for many years). I dive 60-70% highway, 70-80 mph on highway. Never made any difference in the Prius how aggressive I drove.
this car’s MPG is GREATLY affected by high speeds. I’m very disappointed in the car. I wanted something a bit higher up than the Prius, so I got the Niro. I wish I’d bought a Toyota RAV4.
That doesn't sound right. Check your tire air pressure first. Yes, high speed will drag the MPG down a lot. However, while recognizing I have the PHEV so get some benefit from the larger battery, I made a trip across the Cascades from Seattle to Ellensburg last August. A/C on, 70+ MPH where I felt comfortable doing so. And this was over two mountain passes, one about 1500' and the other 3000'. I drove the entire freeway portion in Sport mode, which also impacts MPG, to add some charge to the battery for driving around town. Don't remember the precise numbers, but I was around the mid-50s for MPG after 120 miles, almost all in Sport mode so the ICE was running the majority of the time. After cruising around town for a couple of hours, the return trip was the same way (Sport Mode). There were more downhill stretches in this direction, and when I reached the point I have enough EV range to get home I switched back to EV mode. So about the last 15 miles was EV. The entire trip (about 250 miles or so) was about 62 MPG. Again, mine being the PHEV likely boosted that number by at least 10 MPG, but I can't imagine why yours only returns 35.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Again, mine being the PHEV likely boosted that number by at least 10 MPG,
Seriously? EPA rating for PHEV says it gets less running on gas without plugging in, not more. This has nothing to do with someone who bought a used HEV of unknown history with poor mpg.

All I agree on is his results appear to be poor. However, if he was driving 80 mph and presumably accelerating hard to get there with the AC on, it is not terrible. At lower speeds, the Niros mpg does compare favorably and even better the Gen 3 (I presume) Prius, but the much more aero Prius has a big advantage at high speeds. The Niro has not only a higher coefficient of drag, but a lot more frontal area than the Prius.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Seriously? EPA rating for PHEV says it gets less running on gas without plugging in, not more. This has nothing to do with someone who bought a used HEV of unknown history with poor mpg.

All I agree on is his results appear to be poor. However, if he was driving 80 mph and presumably accelerating hard to get there with the AC on, it is not terrible. At lower speeds, the Niros mpg does compare favorably and even better the Gen 3 (I presume) Prius, but the much more aero Prius has a big advantage at high speeds. The Niro has not only a higher coefficient of drag, but a lot more frontal area than the Prius.
I believe he is using the ev miles to push PHEV above the hev "mpg".

·
Registered
8 Posts

Ok, a bit more info- I understand the cd issue as compared to the Prius. Taking it out of the argument, the car’s mpg does not seem to compare published, and compared to many others posted actual results. Yes, I’m Also wondering if the previous owner did some damage to the engine. It’s definitely not burning oil, the dealer has checked it out and can find nothing wrong, but I think they just checked codes etc. I’ll check if they did the software update that’s been reported to reduce mpg considerably in some cars.
I’m not running the ac too much, topography fairly flat in this part of Fl, but I-95 has lots of overpasses so there up ups and downs. I have not even tried Sport mode, this is all in Eco. I’ve done a lot of testing, really watching the gauge and trying to keep it out of power mode, gently accelerating, not putting it in cruise control. I still get less than 40, at speeds about 78-80. If I drive it at 65-70, I can get 38-40. I have over an hour commute each way for now, so it really adds to my time if I drive lower speeds. Speed limit is 70 in the area I drive. When I drive it with cruise, 80 mph, not being careful with acceleration, I’ll see as low as 29 mpg on the gauge over a short period of time. But nothing I try gets me over 35 mpg average when I calculate after filling up. I can get 42-44 if I’m careful around town. I do think there’s something wrong with the engine, so im going To pursue this with the dealer and with Kia. I like the car otherwise, although the seats are not very comfortable to me, Compared to other cars I’ve driven, and I’m a small woman. Tire pressure is 38. The salesman at dealership told me to try premium gas. That’s 62 cents higher here than regular. Didn’t make any difference. If I drive like a grandmother I do get better results but I shouldn’t have to, and they’re still not where they should be. Again, I’ve got a long commute, and same commute I had with the Prius. Thx for anything anyone can advise. Someone suggested checking engine compression. Oh and I also had a computer transmission warning with check engine light and car lurching the second week I got it. Went away on the way to dealer, they saw the codes and Reset and said everything checked out .. no problems since. Mpg problems already apparent before that issue by the way.

·
Registered
539 Posts
...just purchased a 2017 Niro touring launch
That's probably the biggest contributor to your disappointing results. The Touring trim really takes a hit in efficiency mostly due to the larger and wider tires.

The EPA estimates for the Touring vs. the FE model are:

ModelMPG
Kia Niro TouringMPG: 46 city / 40 highway
Kia Niro FEMPG: 52 city / 49 highway

Add in your relatively high average speed and you might unfortunately be getting about what you would expect.

You might be able to get some benefit from swapping to the stock 16" wheels and tires from the other models.

Give that the Niro is positioned as a competitor to the Prius and other efficiency minded hybrids I'm a bit surprised that they offer the Touring at all given the massive hit to fuel economy.

Hope you get it figured out so that you can be happy with your purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's probably the biggest contributor to your disappointing results. The Touring trim really takes a hit in efficiency mostly due to the larger and wider tires.

The EPA estimates for the Touring vs. the FE model are:

ModelMPG
Kia Niro TouringMPG: 46 city / 40 highway
Kia Niro FEMPG: 52 city / 49 highway

Add in your relatively high average speed and you might unfortunately be getting about what you would expect.

You might be able to get some benefit from swapping to the stock 16" wheels and tires from the other models.

Give that the Niro is positioned as a competitor to the Prius and other efficiency minded hybrids I'm a bit surprised that they offer the Touring at all given the massive hit to fuel economy.

Hope you get it figured out so that you can be happy with your purchase.
Thanks. Understood. I was aware of the difference and if I was getting near 40 average I’d be ok, but these numbers are just not right. If I find out anything I’ll post to hopefully help any others with similar issue.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Thanks. Understood. I was aware of the difference and if I was getting near 40 average I’d be ok, but these numbers are just not right. If I find out anything I’ll post to hopefully help any others with similar issue.
Remember that air resistance is proportional to the square of velocity. The EPA highway estimates use a max speed of 60mph. If you often drive at 80mph that's an increase on over 75% in just air resistance. Could that result in losing 5mpg on the highway? Possibly.
EPA.png

If you plan on keeping the car I would seriously look into getting the smaller wheels and tires. The only other relevant difference between the Touring and other models is weight, but that's only ~150lbs in a vehicle that weighs 1.5 tons so not as big a deal.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I didn't think about the 18" wheel issue. If you drive 60 mph, you will get the rated 40 mpg highway. Your hit at 80 mph is completely expected. In fact, I'm changing my poor mpg comment to excellent considering.

The Ioniq (same drivetrain as the Niro) has a similar shape as the Prius and according to Car and Driver's 75 mph tests (with the 15" base wheels) gets over 50 mpg. That probably would have met your expectations. Easy to get over 60 mpg in that car driven at slower speeds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Remember that air resistance is proportional to the square of velocity. The EPA highway estimates use a max speed of 60mph. If you often drive at 80mph that's an increase on over 75% in just air resistance. Could that result in losing 5mpg on the highway? Possibly.
View attachment 5960

If you plan on keeping the car I would seriously look into getting the smaller wheels and tires. The only other relevant difference between the Touring and other models is weight, but that's only ~150lbs in a vehicle that weighs 1.5 tons so not as big a deal.
Just to clarify, my combined (70% hwy, 30% around town), is 34-35 mpg calculated at fill ups.
if I just drive hwy the mpg average is even lower, 30-32 mpg. I just expected more. I’ll keep trying to find a solution, and if not I’ll just trade it in in a few years. It just seems lower compared to what I’m reading from others.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts