Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded in my 2008 Mercedes SLK and there is a button in the overhead above the windshield you push to open and close the garage door. Brought home my new EX Niro and can't find any way it opens the garage door. Fortunately, I have a keypad beside the garage door outside and a button in the stairwell going down to the garage but can it be that my car can't be taught to open the door for me with a push of a button? Is it time to buy a new garage door opener? Didn't find any instructions in any of the owners manuals that came with the car. What is going on here?

·
Registered
11 Posts
No Homelink

The Niro does not come with Homelink. I had the dealer install an aftermarket auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink as part of the purchase deal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe the mirror was a Gentex. I don't know the model, but they are available on Amazon for $250-300. The dealer got mine from a local dealer and installed it. The cost was part of my purchase agreement. I waited about three months to see if Kia would make an auto-dimming mirror with Homelink available for the Niro. When they didn't, the dealer obtained one from a local parts dealer and installed it. The buttons for programming the mirror and opening the garage door is on the lower edge of the mirror.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I found the clip on the visor opener that I used on my Honda Ridgeline so I'm not going to spend big bucks for what I expect all new cars would have as standard equipment.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Okay, I found the clip on the visor opener that I used on my Honda Ridgeline so I'm not going to spend big bucks for what I expect all new cars would have as standard equipment.
Homelink is a ripoff imo. They charge several hundred dollars and if your opener was made longer than 5 years ago it won't work with Homelink anyway. It is much cheaper and better to just go to Home Depot and buy extra openers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have to admit I'm disappointed as well. I picked up my new Kia Niro yesterday. I forgot to mention it to the sales person that checked me out and when I got home, I used my keypad to open the garage door. I then opened up the 3" thick (!) package of manuals, and to my surprise nothing was there about opening a garage door. My mirror has a UVO button, but that only connects to my phone which I haven't set up yet. Every car I've owned since 2003 has had a homelink button. At least with all the electronics in the Niro, Kia could have engineered the function in somewhere!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My garage door opener came with a key Fob control. Very small and stored in a console bin. Should be able to buy one for very little money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On the Kia website, under accessories, they now have the rearview mirror with Homelink and Compass. I had the dealer install this as part of the deal. Works and looks great!

·
Registered
474 Posts
YES, I also was amazed. Not overly upset, I just put my garage door opener in the overhead tray with a little black Gorilla Tape to hold it in the tray. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts