Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just got myself a Veepeak OBDCheck BLE Bluetooth scanner and installed the Car Scanner app for the iPhone.
Unfortunately I can’t get a reliable reading yet, but the developer is working on it.
Eager to find out what interesting data I get out of the BMS. Does anyone had any success with reading the ECU using an ODB 2 scanner? What was your setup?

·
Registered
11 Posts
One thing to watch is battery drain if you leave it plugged in! I tried two Bluetooth obdii readers and my Niro's battery would frequently die requiring a jump. I thought it was a bad battery or my dashcam but obdii reader was the culprit. Switched to the Scantool OBDLink LX Bluetooth (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H9S71LW/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which turns into a standby mode when not in use and problem went away.

I use Torque for Android to read the sensor data. You can import extended pids for the Niro from https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs and get some info about battery charge rate and temps among other things.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
I've been wondering if anyone had developed a scanner that could offer data like what is available for the Leaf and some other EVs. I have a spare Android phone lying around with a bad battery. Maybe I'll give Torque a try.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Both times my car battery had to be reset, it was due to an OBD Bluetooth device. OBD data is read via PIDs of which there are hundreds perhaps. All devices are capable of reading all of them but dependent on the app to interpret them. Some apps need less setup than others, and some will not provide a custom setup. You can google a list of relevant PIDs and choose what to display with a good app. Torque is one of the best but Android only.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Sorry, no comprendo PID, please define. Thanks.
Me either! But when you search for appropriate ones for the things you want to monitor, like the motor, those pages will probably have a definition. Kind of like asking what an ATM is - I'd bet a lot of people won't know what the acronym stands for, but they know what it does.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
I just had to look it up. I too knew what they were but didn't know what the acronym meant. :) It stands for Parameter ID, and is simply the system's address identification on where a particular piece of information can be located within the car's computer system.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing to watch is battery drain if you leave it plugged in! I tried two Bluetooth obdii readers and my Niro's battery would frequently die requiring a jump. I thought it was a bad battery or my dashcam but obdii reader was the culprit.

The aux battery in the EV can be recharged by the big high voltage battery used for driving. I am assuming your BT OBD2 reader didn’t drain the big battery?
The Veepeak I got uses BT 4.0 which supposedly uses a lot less power then older BT versions or even worse Wifi. I have mine now plugged in all the time and haven’t noticed any problems. Time will tell.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I gave up on phone based OBD readers. Always have to have your phone paired to the reader, it's just not an automatic thing. I use the Ultragauge OBD reader, it has its own display, but it doesn't have any PIDs installed on it that show "hybrid" functions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The aux battery in the EV can be recharged by the big high voltage battery used for driving. I am assuming your BT OBD2 reader didn’t drain the big battery?
The Veepeak I got uses BT 4.0 which supposedly uses a lot less power then older BT versions or even worse Wifi. I have mine now plugged in all the time and haven’t noticed any problems. Time will tell.
Yeah the small 12v battery not the big one. It drained it when the car was off requiring me to jump the battery in the trunk to get the car to start. Happened randomly sometimes once a week. I used the same OBD2 reader I was using without any drain problems in my Mazda 3 for years which initially made me dismiss the reader as the problem. I'm guessing in the kia it prevented the car from going to ’sleep' so other circuits in the car would suck power...not sure if the reader itself could drain the battery overnight.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The Mazda 3 battery is a full sized one with lots of reserve. Not so the Niro which is designed for accessory use only, not cranking the engine. You could buy a larger battery (hopefully those are compatible with the battery charging systems when low) but making it fit the same space could present a problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Interesting point both ways. My bet is a $23 lawn mower battery would be a suitable substitute. Maybe even something smaller. Until the warranty is over, it's purely academic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Veepeak scanner now plugged in for over 5 days, no battery draining problems noticed. I guess if you buy a real product using BT Low Energy and not some cheap clone you should not have to worry about killing your battery, even if it is a low capacity Aux battery.

Just updated Car Scanner, version 1.32.9 is now supporting the Niro EV. Developer was very responsive in adding this profile, the profile for the Niro PHEV was already in there, but not working for the EV. Can’t wait to try it out later today!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Mine is a VeePeak from a year ago. It lists a very small vampire drain, but that was enough to open the protective battery relay (on two occasions). I wouldn't be surprised if the EV lead acid battery has a higher capacity than the HEV lithium 12 volt battery. It also recharges from the traction battery when off, where the HEV will not (just opens a relay to prevent further discharge).

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
I have the Veepeak scanner now plugged in for over 5 days, no battery draining problems noticed. I guess if you buy a real product using BT Low Energy and not some cheap clone you should not have to worry about killing your battery, even if it is a low capacity Aux battery.

Just updated Car Scanner, version 1.32.9 is now supporting the Niro EV. Developer was very responsive in adding this profile, the profile for the Niro PHEV was already in there, but not working for the EV. Can’t wait to try it out later today!
Please confirm which scanner you are referring to. I went to the Veepeak web site, and they list a number of different ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just for info, my original ScanGuage would not connect with the Niro EV. It is about 20 years old but worked OK on my 2013 C-Max Energi. The ScanGuage II is probably compatible and they are still doing upgrades on that model.

This is their website: https://www.scangauge.com/

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just for info, my original ScanGuage would not connect with the Niro EV. It is about 20 years old but worked OK on my 2013 C-Max Energi. The ScanGuage II is probably compatible and they are still doing upgrades on that model.

This is their website: https://www.scangauge.com/
I have a Scan Gauge II that I bought in 2012(I still have the original Scan Gauge that I bought in 2003). It works on my HEV but does not show any of the hybrid details. Only info for the ICE is shown. (btw, ICE stands for Internal Combustion Engine)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a $20 Autel maxi code scanner just used it today accidentally forgot to close the hybrid fuse under the rear seat and got the check hybrid system code and got a check engine light got out my scanner and cleared the code and all ok again. Was trying to kill all power in the car for clock reset but that didn't do it but I found another way.

Ive used it on many cars to clear codes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts