Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following are some of my observations using my Kia Niro EX Premium in the Canadian (Sask) winter

• Gas mileage suffers. Rather than mid to low 5 litres per 100km (in the non winter months), I am getting 6.2 - 6.4. I expected this as I had talked with a Kia owner here in Saskatchewan before I purchased my Kia Niro and this was his experience as well. Although I have some ideas as to why (winter tire effect etc), I am not exactly sure why this is the case. In any case … 6.3lts/100kms is still good.

• A week or so ago, after gasing up and cleaning the head and tail lights, when I started the forward movement of the car a red warning light came on and a continual "beep/beep/beep". After stopping a couple times and looking at everything possible that could be wrong, I finally shrugged my shoulders and drove home - 45 minutes of beeping! When reading on the Kai Forum someone mentioned that you need to keep the Kia clean, so the next day I took it (beep/beep/beep) to the car wash, gave it a good wash and … NO BEEPs!
○ Strange thing was, that the Kia had been much dirtier many times before without any resultant beeping. Even today, it is dirtier, without beeping.
○ It should be noted that the beeping was only on forward movement of the vehicle. It even beeped when I turned the side sensors button off.

• Today, when it is -22C outside and I turned on the Kia Niro, I got a warning light and time low sign. Indeed, the guage stated that 3 of my tires had a problem at 27psi. The fourth tire had a pressure of 29psi. Having heard that pressure is different when it is cold, I drove it for a half an hour and the pressures had risen 3-4psi so that they were all over 30psi and upto 32psi. The warning light, however did not go off. Stopping the car, and restarting it, did not turn the warning lights off. Go figure…

• For those that are interested, I am very pleased with the traction and on road stability with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 winter tires I put on. Even on "ice" it is difficult to intentionally break the traction and go into a skid.

• One thing I was not aware of and that I learned after I bought the car was that, it buy and install a remote vehicle ignition, automatically eliminates / cancels all Kia warranties. Indeed, the Kia mechanic highly recommended against it. So no climbing into a warm car started from inside the house!

• Regarding interior heating of the Kia Niro in the below 20C weather, it is quite acceptable... with special thanks to the heated seats and steering wheel. It seems (to me) that it takes a bit longer to get heat from the heating vents than non hybrid cars. Although it keeps up at -22C, It will be interesting to see if it still does and less than -30C.

Just my observations so far. I would love to hear in anybody else has any observations about their Niros during the Canadian winters. If I notice anything else, I will post it here as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
961 Posts
In the US, installing any aftermarket device specifically will NOT void the warranty. If that is true in Canada I would be truly surprised. What such an add-on could do is cause some additional work for the owner if warranty work is necessary, but Kia would have to show that the add-on was the cause of whatever issue was being repaired. As an example, your remote starter add-on could not be used to argue an effect that caused the rear suspension to have an issue. Since Kia themselves offer a remote starting option, they can't argue the car isn't designed for one. I have a feeling that someone at the dealer was blowing smoke at you over getting a 3rd party add-on.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Part of the reason for your increased fuel consumption are your under inflated tires. Kia spec is 37psi front and rear. Many run higher in the winter to compensate for the effects of winter blend gasoline and the cold temps (usually 40+psi). Don’t exceed whatever the cold psi rating is for your Nokian’s but if you can do at least 40psi you’ll see some benefit.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
36 psi is the spec. Pressure drops in cold weather requiring adding air. No need to go over 36 psi cold though. If you are filling tires during a drive, add a couple pounds over 36 and see what the pressure is next time you start cold on the dash.

·
Registered
332 Posts
36 psi is the spec. Pressure drops in cold weather requiring adding air. No need to go over 36 psi cold though. If you are filling tires during a drive, add a couple pounds over 36 and see what the pressure is next time you start cold on the dash.
OP is driving on Nokian winter tires and Nokian specifically recommends running 3 psi in winter tires over summer tire pressure spec. That means OP should be running minimum 39 psi in his winter tires (assuming that is below the max cold pressure spec of the individual tire).
https://www.nokiantires.com/innovation/facts-about-tires/tire-inflation-tips/

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I would go 38, but 39 true cold pressure should be fine. If you are filling in your attached garage, 3 extra psi is probably needed as the temp is warmer there than outside. What the real measure is is operating temperature. You want to be in the range of 37-40 psi. My max operating psi on a really hot sunny day (sun really heats up asphalt) is 42 psi. I think optimally you would want to be below that. If you are filling after driving to a service station or tire store in the winter, yup, totally agree with warm temp of 39.

·
Super Moderator
574 Posts
Hi @WGEM (Sask) and welcome to this Kia Niro Forum.!

As i can see, you have an HEV Model of the Niro !? There is another member of the forum from Sask, that has a PHEV model. but i do not remember his nickname! ?

The following are some of my observations using my Kia Niro EX Premium in the Canadian (Sask) winter

• A week or so ago, after gasing up and cleaning the head and tail lights, when I started the forward movement of the car a red warning light came on and a continual "beep/beep/beep". After stopping a couple times and looking at everything possible that could be wrong, I finally shrugged my shoulders and drove home - 45 minutes of beeping! When reading on the Kai Forum someone mentioned that you need to keep the Kia clean, so the next day I took it (beep/beep/beep) to the car wash, gave it a good wash and … NO BEEPs!
○ Strange thing was, that the Kia had been much dirtier many times before without any resultant beeping. Even today, it is dirtier, without beeping.
○ It should be noted that the beeping was only on forward movement of the vehicle. It even beeped when I turned the side sensors button off.
These "Beeps" are from the "Rear parking sensors" mounted in the bumper (4 small round caps). If they are not "clean" or still covered with snow or ice, they will "BEEP" because they detect something!! It does it on mine PHEV when i am stoped...

• Today, when it is -22C outside and I turned on the Kia Niro, I got a warning light and time low sign. Indeed, the guage stated that 3 of my tires had a problem at 27psi. The fourth tire had a pressure of 29psi. Having heard that pressure is different when it is cold, I drove it for a half an hour and the pressures had risen 3-4psi so that they were all over 30psi and upto 32psi. The warning light, however did not go off. Stopping the car, and restarting it, did not turn the warning lights off. Go figure…
Are your winter tires on the originals Alloy wheels or Rim Steels ? Did the garage that installed the tires put nitrogen air instead of normal air in it ?
I have had my summer tires on normal air, and when it got a bit too much cooler in November, (-5c to -10c) i had the same warnings (psi at 27-28-29). when i got winter tires installed on my other set, they were already on nitrogen air, i do not have any problem yet.!

• One thing I was not aware of and that I learned after I bought the car was that, it buy and install a remote vehicle ignition, automatically eliminates / cancels all Kia warranties. Indeed, the Kia mechanic highly recommended against it. So no climbing into a warm car started from inside the house!
It is not recommended to have a "jobber" remote starter on any Niro that has a thermal engine. I know people in Quebec that has installed one on their HEV model and seems not to have any problem, BUT it not recommended by Kia Canada! Now, for the warranty cancellation, for exemple, Kia Canada could not want to pay the dealer for the repair's invoice, if the "jobber" remote starter has brought a problem to the engine. You still be covered for all other things, but not for this job repair!

But, on the other end, the 2019 PHEV, The UVO system has a remote starter from Kia.. try to figure this one out! ?

I know that the 2020 (MY20) HEV (SX Touring) model will have the UVO system installed.

• It seems (to me) that it takes a bit longer to get heat from the heating vents than non hybrid cars. Although it keeps up at -22C, It will be interesting to see if it still does and less than -30C.
Should be the opposite, The thermal engine runs on the idle at 1300 RPM, the more you drive, the mode the engine revs up.. I have never notice that it takes more time to bring heat to the cabin! But when it's -30, it's.. -30.! :oops:

Just my observations so far. I would love to hear in anybody else has any observations about their Niros during the Canadian winters. If I notice anything else, I will post it here as well.
Fell free to barge in and give us your others observations !
Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<> Since Kia themselves offer a remote starting option, they can't argue the car isn't designed for one. I have a feeling that someone at the dealer was blowing smoke at you over getting a 3rd party add-on.
Very interesting Dan. I will certainly do a followup on the remote starting. Strange as I did not plan on getting a 3rd party addon if Kia had one of their own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi @WGEM (Sask) and welcome to this Kia Niro Forum.!

As i can see, you have an HEV Model of the Niro !? There is another member of the forum from Sask, that has a PHEV model. but i do not remember his nickname! ?

These "Beeps" are from the "Rear parking sensors" mounted in the bumper (4 small round caps). If they are not "clean" or still covered with snow or ice, they will "BEEP" because they detect something!! It does it on mine PHEV when i am stoped...

WGEM>> Still strange that it should happen considering those sensors are often covered by dirt / snow or ice.

Are your winter tires on the originals Alloy wheels or Rim Steels ? Did the garage that installed the tires put nitrogen air instead of normal air in it ?
I have had my summer tires on normal air, and when it got a bit too much cooler in November, (-5c to -10c) i had the same warnings (psi at 27-28-29). when i got winter tires installed on my other set, they were already on nitrogen air, i do not have any problem yet.!

WGEM>> I had the winter tires put on the original rims but I did not put in the nitrogen air. I talked to a number of people about the benefits of nitrogen and it was a toss up whether they recommended it or not, so I decided not to put it in. Interesting observation.

It is not recommended to have a "jobber" remote starter on any Niro that has a thermal engine. I know people in Quebec that has installed one on their HEV model and seems not to have any problem, BUT it not recommended by Kia Canada! Now, for the warranty cancellation, for exemple, Kia Canada could not want to pay the dealer for the repair's invoice, if the "jobber" remote starter has brought a problem to the engine. You still be covered for all other things, but not for this job repair!

But, on the other end, the 2019 PHEV, The UVO system has a remote starter from Kia.. try to figure this one out! ?

I know that the 2020 (MY20) HEV (SX Touring) model will have the UVO system installed.

Should be the opposite, The thermal engine runs on the idle at 1300 RPM, the more you drive, the mode the engine revs up.. I have never notice that it takes more time to bring heat to the cabin! But when it's -30, it's.. -30.! :oops:

Fell free to barge in and give us your others observations !
Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts