Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plan is once I figure out what I can get to work and figure out what does what, I'd like to put together a better sticky FAQ on how to setup one of those bluetooth ODBC2 readers and get meaningful information about your Niro and how it is performing.

I have read that there are some other users on the forum under different threads that are using a reader to gather statistics on their car. I looked and it wasn't too big of an investment to get started. I think the ODBC reader that I got cost a bit over $18.50 cad from Amazon. Now it seems to work in it does read some data from the car. Now it will need to be seen if it can read the custom PID values that would make it worthwhile. It would be interesting to me to find out what stats people are looking for and then figure out how to meaningfully get that information out of the car and into a format that is worthwhile.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The plan is once I figure out what I can get to work and figure out what does what, I'd like to put together a better sticky FAQ on how to setup one of those bluetooth ODBC2 readers and get meaningful information about your Niro and how it is performing.

I have read that there are some other users on the forum under different threads that are using a reader to gather statistics on their car. I looked and it wasn't too big of an investment to get started. I think the ODBC reader that I got cost a bit over $18.50 cad from Amazon. Now it seems to work in it does read some data from the car. Now it will need to be seen if it can read the custom PID values that would make it worthwhile. It would be interesting to me to find out what stats people are looking for and then figure out how to meaningfully get that information out of the car and into a format that is worthwhile.
Great idea for a hopefully very useful thread. I bought an OBD-II reader and paid for the full version of Torque Pro in order to try to diagnose an intermittent charging issue on my '18 PHEV. Of course, since then I haven't had any issues. Oh well. I have played around with it and there are a lot of PHEV specific PIDs available. If I can find the time I'll see about doing some logging of things like charging, regen braking etc.

I went with this reader:

OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner

It's a bit more expensive at $60 US but it seems to work well.

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I would be very interested in is there are going to be quite a few common PID and seeing if there is any difference between the cheep China knockoff vs. the full price American version. I looked from my perspective is that I am really only getting is for curiosity sake so spending the $100 cad for a pro version didn't seem worth it for what I am planning to use it for. I was interested to see about logging some of the longer trips to see how the battery works during the different driving conditions. When you link the data from the Torque Pro along with a Dashcam/GPS trip mapping, you can really see what was going on and how it effected the economy of your drive.

I have gone through the PID links and pulled out all the Niro specific calls, and just have to see about adding them to the dashboard to see if I can get any of them to properly work. I am curious if some of them might not be supported by my logger.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The difference will almost certainly be in the software, not the reader itself. If Torque supports a reader it should be able to pull any PID as the protocols are all the same, either it works or it doesn't. Whether you can pull random PIDs with the included logging software is a different question. The apps included with cheap readers might not have as many user definable features.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts