Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I noticed that the tires that came with my car were the Michelin Energy Save A/S. I looked up the prices I was shocked to see that they are expensive. I saw the Kumho and Bridgestone Ecopia tires has been great the last few years and are about $250 cheaper. Would you go for the Michelin or go with another brand?

·
Registered
57 Posts
i always check consumer reports and price shop their recommended tires. costco regularly offers free mounting which is worth around $25/tire.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So far I'm impressed with the wear on the OEM Michelin tires. They are alot of money I didn't think $250 more tho.... The Bridgestone Ecopia tires used to be OEM on the Prius for awhile and people had good things to say about them. The Yohohamma Envigor tires I've had good luck with and are low rolling resistant tires but are not that great in the snow. I don't know if that's a concern for you.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far I'm impressed with the wear on the OEM Michelin tires. They are alot of money I didn't think $250 more tho.... The Bridgestone Ecopia tires used to be OEM on the Prius for awhile and people had good things to say about them. The Yohohamma Envigor tires I've had good luck with and are low rolling resistant tires but are not that great in the snow. I don't know if that's a concern for you.
It’s not. I have heard that people say that switching to a non oem tire will cause handling problems. I’m just trying to get some pointers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So I noticed that the tires that came with my car were the Michelin Energy Save A/S. I looked up the prices I was shocked to see that they are expensive. I saw the Kumho and Bridgestone Ecopia tires has been great the last few years and are about $250 cheaper. Would you go for the Michelin or go with another brand?
We put on Yokohama Avid GT Ascend GT tires on our Niro Touring. I'm very happy with them . They are 16 inch as opposed to the 18 inchers that came with the car. I checked out the Michelin tires but the price was prohibitive. I never tried the energy savers but these Yokohama tires give a very nice ride and very good gas mileage .

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you want a quiet smooth tire with max mpg and super long tread life, the OEMs Energy Saver A/S is hard to beat. If you want superior performance, especially in wet conditions or snow, there are a number of good options.

I got Mich Premier A/S on mine, great for wet weather but may only last 35,000 miles +/- 5,000. Other excellent options would be Continental TrueContact Tour or Pirelli P7 A/S Plus II (I just got these on my Outback and they are the smoothest, quietest tire I have ever had).

Most likely you will lose 1-3 mpg with non OEM tires That said, I'm you can see by my fuelly info below, my mpg ain't too shabby even with the aftermarket tires.:cool:

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want a quiet smooth tire with max mpg and super long tread life, the OEMs Energy Saver A/S is hard to beat. If you want superior performance, especially in wet conditions or snow, there are a number of good options.

I got Mich Premier A/S on mine, great for wet weather but may only last 35,000 miles +/- 5,000. Other excellent options would be Continental TrueContact Tour or Pirelli P7 A/S Plus II (I just got these on my Outback and they are the smoothest, quietest tire I have ever had).

Most likely you will lose 1-3 mpg with non OEM tires That said, I'm you can see by my fuel info that my mpg ain't too shabby even with the aftermarket tires.

Most likely you will lose 1-3 mpg with non OEM tires That said, I'm you can see by my fuelly info below, my mpg ain't too shabby even with the aftermarket tires.:cool:
I have always bought oem tires. Even when I had my prius, I would either buy the Bridgestone Ecopia or the Goodyear Fuel Max.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have always bought oem tires. Even when I had my prius, I would either buy the Bridgestone Ecopia or the Goodyear Fuel Max.
I can tell you I've been dissapointed with the Fuel Max tires on my Prius. The road noise is very loud during the second half of their life and if you don't religiously rotate them they get a chappy wear pattern. Never had that with the Yokahama tires I had on the car previously and switched back too. The Niro is the first car I had with Michelins and will probably stick with them at replacement time. What ever you get make sure they are low rolling resistant tires or you may be upset with the mpg hit.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can tell you I've been dissapointed with the Fuel Max tires on my Prius. The road noise is very loud during the second half of their life and if you don't religiously rotate them they get a chappy wear pattern. Never had that with the Yokahama tires I had on the car previously and switched back too. The Niro is the first car I had with Michelins and will probably stick with them at replacement time. What ever you get make sure they are low rolling resistant tires or you may be upset with the mpg hit.
Oh yeah. I would choose the Michelin Energy Saver again but the price seems too much. The cheapest one I was able to find was $122 each. If I had to make a choice I would either go with the Bridgestone Ecopias or the Continental Eco+ technology.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I'm on track to get 90,000 miles on my OEM Michelins. They are an excellent balance of superior longevity and quiet comfort (the 16" ones). Obviously good value even after the sticker shock if you are keeping your car for the long term. If you are trading in, sure get the cheapest tires you can buy.

Yes, there are better tires for rain and snow, but these tires are average, not horrible. In my own traction tests in the snow, any slipping was easily corrected. Nothing to do with the tires of course, just the car's weight balance. In fact, it is the best car I've owned over 45 years worth of cars for safe handling in bad conditions.

You can bet I'm going to pony up to replace the OEMs with an identical set. And I'm a cheapskate! But to that point, I would not be happy with the probable 3 to 5 mpg hit other tires will inflict on how long my tank lasts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm on track to get 90,000 miles on my OEM Michelins. They are an excellent balance of superior longevity and quiet comfort (the 16" ones). Obviously good value even after the sticker shock if you are keeping your car for the long term. If you are trading in, sure get the cheapest tires you can buy.

Yes, there are better tires for rain and snow, but these tires are average, not horrible. In my own traction tests in the snow, any slipping was easily corrected. Nothing to do with the tires of course, just the car's weight balance. In fact, it is the best car I've owned over 45 years worth of cars for safe handling in bad conditions.

You can bet I'm going to pony up to replace the OEMs with an identical set. And I'm a cheapskate! But to that point, I would not be happy with the probable 3 to 5 mpg hit other tires will inflict on how long my tank lasts.
How often did you rotate them to get that kind of wear?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am at 6000 miles on the Nokian entyre. Not great, but worth the savings to me. About the same mpgs as I got with the OEM tires.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

How on earth do you get 90,000 miles out of tires? Do you rotate them everyday?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I have free rotation along with a road hazard warranty from a national tire store. So I rotate around the recommended 7,500 mark. Mind you, I only have around 40K on my tires right now, but less than half useable tread wear according to tire store. That is why I'm on track for 90K - which has also been reported by other owners here and on the Ioniq forum. I don't think that is so unusual - I also got about 90K out of a set of Bridgestone Serenity tires on my last car, a PT Cruiser (a little longer than the tire store approved admittedly). Those were great tires, I was pissed when they discontinued them before I was ready to replace the first set.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have free rotation along with a road hazard warranty from a national tire store. So I rotate around the recommended 7,500 mark. Mind you, I only have around 40K on my tires right now, but less than half useable tread wear according to tire store. That is why I'm on track for 90K - which has also been reported by other owners here and on the Ioniq forum. I don't think that is so unusual - I also got about 90K out of a set of Bridgestone Serenity tires on my last car, a PT Cruiser (a little longer than the tire store approved admittedly). Those were great tires, I was pissed when they discontinued them before I was ready to replace the first set.
Free Rotation? Let me guess Americas Tires/Discount Tires?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Not free exactly. I inquired about a fixed price for lifetime rotation, similar to what I had with Sears in the past. It was only a little bit more expensive to get road hazard so that is the way I went.

Your guess is spot on. They have some beneficial policies, including a temporary new spare while they order the warrantied tire. Even sending tire to store along the way if on a trip. They also fix flats for free for all comers.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
255 Posts
High mileage with the NIRO tires seems reasonable to me.

We traded in a Prius for our Niro. I change out a pair of Michelin Defenders on the Prius after 5 years and 75,000 miles because the sidewalls were cracking around the rim. I attributed this to me keeping the tires at 40 psi over their life (5 years). These tires still had useable tread left but the tire bead showing cracks around the rim were why I changed them out.

A compact car like our NIROs should have outstanding tire wear with quality tires and proper maintenance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts