Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Maybe it's possible and perhaps related to the setting in the "user menu" for service interval?? You can turn that feature on or off and if ON you can set the number of miles for a maintenance reminder. I've never seen it so it might trigger a SERVICE message totally separate and unrelated to the message your vehicle displayed in the picture you provided. At just 1,000 miles, there must be something set wrong somewhere, perhaps it's a totally different setting not accessible to the end user.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had the same thing pop up at the same approximate mileage. I had previously fiddled with the service interval settings that eddarrah mentioned, and maybe that caused it, not sure. When I subsequently checked those settings, they had been cleared, so I reset them to remind me to go in at the scheduled mileage, though I plan to actually go in before then (probably).

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Service "announcements" are completely under the control of the user, not the car. They can be set up by the selling dealer, or at service appointments too, but when they have the car, they are the user. My car either did not have them set up, or I turned them off the first week as I was going through all the menus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yesterday I had this too. The vehicle turned exactly 1000 miles and that popped up. I also got an email. I was on a busy freeway out of town at the time and have not had time to explore it. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I recall, when I bought mine in June the Service Department scheduled an oil change for 30 days. They said they wanted to check the "break-in" and make sure there weren't any metal filings in the oil. (or something like that)
It didn't cost me, so I didn't question it too much. Your local dealers might have set up a reminder for 1k miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just took my '19 PHEV in for a recall and asked about the oil change at 1000 miles. The service guy said that in the US Kia doesn't put in "break-in" oil and the oil actually shouldn't be changed because having the same oil in aids in proper break-in. He also said that because we're in Texas, my oil change interval will be sooner than in the manual. My first change will be at 6000 miles instead of 7500. I don't know if this all true or not, but that's what the guy told me.

Also, the recall was for a potential coolant leak. After being at the service dept. for over 2 hours they told me I would have to come back in a few days because they didn't have the part!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So how does an oil change interval work in a car like this? Does it measure kilometers on the gas motor, or is it an altogether thing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dealer had mine set for 5,000 miles or 6 months so I just took it in for it's first free oil change. And they reset it for 7,500 miles of six months for the next oil change.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Kia guy here, it's a warning on the Euro Spec ones for the mineral oil that they use in the initial oil for the Euro Spec cars. You can safely ignore that warning and the 10k mile warning as long as you meet the every 7500 miles with full synthetic 0W-20.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts