Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's coming up on my first oil change.

The dealer insists 6000km, but the manual says 12000km, and I think I've seen 15000km for outside of Canada.

Has anyone else in Canada had this issue? 6k interval seems way too short, not just for a regular ICE car, but especially so for my PHEV that runs mostly on electricity.

·
Registered
249 Posts
7500 miles (12,000km) for Niros driven in "normal conditions".

3750 miles (6,000km) for Niros driven in "severe conditions".

Your dealer might be insisting on the more frequent interval because of the colder-than-typical climate of Vancouver BC (versus, say, the mild climate of southern california).

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Hi Orac, If i remember, for Canada, the first oil change say's at 6000km and after at 12000km. A dealer cannot force you to do a oil change at 6000km because of "severe conditions".. we dont live in the sahara or the
Oïmiakon village in Russia.. hahahaha.!

An oil change should be done at least twice a year or at each 10.000km (too be safe) and dont forget.. it takes the oil grade of 0w20 synthetic. :)

Reactions: Orac

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Orac, If i remember, for Canada, the first oil change say's at 6000km and after at 12000km. A dealer cannot force you to do a oil change at 6000km because of "severe conditions".. we dont live in the sahara or the
Oïmiakon village in Russia.. hahahaha.!

An oil change should be done at least twice a year or at each 10.000km (too be safe) and dont forget.. it takes the oil grade of 0w20 synthetic. :)

I'll get it done at the stealership next week and argue the interval at that point. Hopefully I'll have the EV before the change after that, but if not, Vancouver is the Honolulu of Canada in the winter, so conditions here are very mild and would hardly qualify as severe just like you said. In fact, it's a blistering 9 Celsius right now! (compared to < -15 out east!)
It just bugs me since it's a waste of resources, money and time, and seems to be a profit-play. EVs are gonna really hurt these guys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I only have 1,800 miles on my 2018 Phev after 6 months. I plan on getting an oil change at the one year mark to take care of any other recommended preventative maintenance inspections and computer updates. Hopefully I'll be visiting the dealership as infrequently as I do a gas station which has happened once so far.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I only have 1,800 miles on my 2018 Phev after 6 months. I plan on getting an oil change at the one year mark to take care of any other recommended preventative maintenance inspections and computer updates. Hopefully I'll be visiting the dealership as infrequently as I do a gas station which has happened once so far.

Good idea - Kia's oil change timeline does actually say "every 7,500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first."

For "extreme" conditions, it's reduced to every 3,250 miles or 6 months.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
In Montreal area, my dealer also suggests I get it done at 6000 km.
Wich dealer is it ?? Just bring out your user manual and show them... 12.000km!!0:)

Reactions: Orac

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
-21c today!! (-5.8F) :nerd:

-21C eh? I hope you have your skivvies on! >:)

Heard back from them:

"Based on our experience, we have found most Canadian drivers will fall under the severe condition schedule as outlined in the owner’s manual and we would recommend maintenance based on that. If you feel that your Niro does not meet those guidelines for severe service, then feel free to follow the “Normal” schedule moving forward. This will not effect the warranty of the vehicle as this will still meet the minimum requirement for maintenance. Please keep in mind that Kia does have the two different schedules to maintain optimum performance and longevity. If you do change your driving habits or if there is any decrease in performance you may need to revert back to the severe schedule."

This is good to know for anyone else in a mild part of Canada - so basically the SW coast.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Beware of taking the opinions of people who profit if you take their advice. In other words the dealer. They are in the sales business and not just car sales. Just read the manual. Do that.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Albi Kia Laval

I am not yet at 6000km, but I will see when I see them. Either I got lifetime free oil change with them.

Like me, Albi St-Eustache.. and free oil change too! so enjoy your 2x free change per year with the 0w20 synthetic.. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm no fan of unnecessary oil changes, but the USA owner's manual describes a lot of somewhat ordinary things as "Severe Usage Conditions". Perhaps the most hilarious is "Frequently driving in stop and go conditions", but a close runner up is "Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain roads repeatedly". So if you go up a hill on your way to work every day and come back down that hill at the end of the day, apparently that qualifies as "Severe Usage"

I'm likely to get my first change at the Severe Usage interval, and subsequent changes at the "Normal" interval. The first change is somewhat special, because the engine is brand new and it's likely that there is some amount of manufacturing "debris" contaminating the oil. Case in point: this week Hyundai and Kia announced that they would re-recall a number of (not Niro) cars that they had already recalled once before. The original recall was about manufacturing debris that prevented adequate oil circulation. Thousands of those cars wound up getting a new engine. Now they're being recalled again, apparently because of a concern that some of them had the new engine installed improperly and in a way that might result in a fire. I'm not suggesting that we should think the Niro has a similar problem, but I do think it's true that as a general rule, any brand new engine should have the oil changed sooner, rather than later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just picked up our Kia Niro LX on 1/22/19 and our salesman said, to only use a Kia Oil Filter on the oil change, otherwise you could void the warranty. I think this is bull? Any others hear about this?

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
We just picked up our Kia Niro LX on 1/22/19 and our salesman said, to only use a Kia Oil Filter on the oil change, otherwise you could void the warranty. I think this is bull? Any others hear about this?

that sounds like total B.S. I don't believe they can specify an exact brand of parts for a car to maintain warranty, but they can specify a grade specification. So for instance, they can't say you can only use Castrol 0w20 Synthetic oil, but they can say you must use 0w20 that meets the ILSAC GP5 specification.

Where I would look into is what is the cost of doing the change at the dealership vs a 3rd party garage and yourself. I was actually pretty surprised as my dealership I think is likely not making any money on the oil change for my Niro as they have a fixed cost for the change regardless of the vehicle. So a Rio is likely paying way too much for their oil change, but my Niro is getting a really good deal. I priced it out that I am paying about $8 over my cost to do change. And I will gladly have someone else have to deal with the mess for $8.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
that sounds like total B.S. I don't believe they can specify an exact brand of parts for a car to maintain warranty, but they can specify a grade specification. So for instance, they can't say you can only use Castrol 0w20 Synthetic oil, but they can say you must use 0w20 that meets the ILSAC GP5 specification.
@hotkohls
All Niro's must have the 0w20 synthetic grade because it comes standard from the plant with this grade, but i do not think that a void warranty can be done for a oil filter.! :eek:

·
Registered
476 Posts
The MagnusonMoss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. ... The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner.

Learn it...live it

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this article from 2014 about Kia requiring you to use a Kia Oil Filter to maintain the warranty. I have not found any updates regarding this yet. I am still searching. I will be happy to get oil changes at the Kia dealer as long as their prices are reasonable.

Here is the basic info:

Trade Associations Insist that FTC Take Action Against Kia
POSTED BY AUTO CARE NEWS ON MAY 28, 2014

BETHESDA, MD – May 27, 2014 -- The Auto Care Association, Automotive Oil Change Association, Service Station Dealers of America and Tire Industry Association joined forces to call on the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to take immediate action to have Kia withdraw a technical bulletin warning consumers not to use non-OEM filters, which is clearly a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (MMWA).

The bulletin, which was referenced in an article posted by Consumer Reports, recommended that car owners either go back to the authorized dealer or use a Kia oil filter to avoid problems with oil- and filter-related warranty claims.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts