Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is the first oil change supposed to happen? Someone somewhere said that the recommendation in the owner's manual is different from the dealer's recommendation. Anyone know which is best.... and maintains the warranty? Thanks

Also....what do people like about plug-ins? Just that you don't ever have to buy gas? Or are there other features that are attractive, compared to a hybrid?

·
Registered
125 Posts
When is the first oil change supposed to happen? Someone somewhere said that the recommendation in the owner's manual is different from the dealer's recommendation. Anyone know which is best.... and maintains the warranty? Thanks

Also....what do people like about plug-ins? Just that you don't ever have to buy gas? Or are there other features that are attractive, compared to a hybrid?
7,500 is when I plan to bring mine in. The salesperson always says to bring it in early, but I think that is just due to lack of knowledge of because they are told to say that by the service dept. Unless it takes you 9 months or more to reach that mileage, I wouldn't do it before 7,500.

The clear benefit to a plug in is the lack of gas. But the big negative is the short distance you can drive before a re-charge is needed. IMO, a plug in is only for someone who commutes less than 10 miles each way and has a 2nd vehicle for longer trips. I wouldn't be able to have a plug in for myself because I drive 80+ miles each day.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The plug in would offer you the 20+ miles ev range plus the whole gas tank so you'd have a larger range than the current Niro. What isn't clear is what effect, if any, the larger batteries would have on MPG.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought the owners manual said that you should do the first oil change at 6 months or 7500 miles, whichever is first. In my case, I made an appt for next month at the 6 month mark with just over 3k on it. Can anyone else confirm this time frame for the initial oil change?

Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
The manual lists 7500 or 12 months for oil change in Normal Maintenance Schedule, 3750 miles or 6 month for Severe Usage Conditions Maintenance. The manual lists the "severe conditions", lettered A thru K. Since I and many people will probably drive under one or more of those conditions at some point, I take an ~average of the two, and will change oil at 5k miles. It's easier to remember every 5,000 also.
My first change I did at 3k miles, just because of new engine and I was near the dealer. After that it will be every 5k, unless it's a severe or long winter with short driving trips, or other more frequent "severe" conditions.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Not trying to be a smarty, just read the manual then you will have the straight facts.

Basically, as one reply said -- it depends on type usage (normal or severe), if you want to follow the manual.

My Case --Most all are trips are no less than 20 miles RT, I call that normal.

Bought in FEB, changed oil at around 5800 miles on July 26. Let Dealer do it (FREE this time). Would have been $69 including the other checks (mostly just look at things for first one). They say they used Pennzoil Synthetic at my dealer.

What the heck, not a big deal --- 2 times a year or 3 times a year is not a lot of money to worry about.

Change your own and keep records (cheaper).

·
Registered
60 Posts
just saw this on an oil testing site -

In “Hybrid vehicles”, depending on the conditions when the vehicle is underway, the engine is sometimes running, and sometimes not running. And they usually also employ an “engine-off” feature when the vehicle comes to a stop. All this on-again/off-again engine operation creates a severe/extreme usage condition for the engine’s motor oil. That is because the oil cannot maintain a high enough temperature to keep normal condensation removed, which comes from the constant over, and over, and over, partial heating and then re-cooling of the oil. This is a textbook example of short trip operation on the motor oil, which, as mentioned above, is one of the worst things you can subject a motor oil to. As a result, in order to provide a Hybrid vehicle’s engine with the best possible wear protection, its motor oil should be changed much more frequently, such as at every 3,000 miles, because of this severe/extreme usage. So, it is in your best interest to ignore the ridiculously long oil change interval in the Owner’s Manual or the dash’s oil change indicator.

heres the link https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

looks like for 0w20 oils the best was --

The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection.

1. 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, synthetic (gold bottle) = 124,393 psi
Its onset of Thermal Breakdown = 270*F
2. 0W20 Toyota Motor Oil, API SN, synthetic = 101,460 psi
Its onset of Thermal Breakdown = 255*F
3. 0W20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance, API SN, dexos 1 approved, synthetic = 100,229 psi
Its onset of Thermal Breakdown = 265*F
4. 0W20 Pennzoil Platinum, Pure Plus Technology, made from Natural Gas, API SN, synthetic
(silver bottle with blue vertical stripe on the label) = 92,504 psi
It’s onset of Thermal Breakdown = 275*F
5. 0W20 Castrol Edge, Fluid Titanium Technology, API SN, dexos 1 approved, synthetic
(black bottle) = 90,745 psi
It’s onset of Thermal Breakdown = 270*F
6. 0W20 Valvoline SynPower, API SN, synthetic = 89,556 psi
7. 0W20 Mobil 1 Advance Fuel Economy, API SN, dexos 1 approved, synthetic = 79,612 psi
8. 0W20 Kendall GT-1, with liquid Titanium, API SN, synthetic = 71,385 psi
It’s onset of Thermal Breakdown = 260*F

not on the list was 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi
The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN,

·
Registered
375 Posts
Except that the software takes care of the oil heat cycles by running when it needs to. Do you think that the engineers forgot about heat cycles? Not likely...

·
Registered
223 Posts
OK, a 3k mile oil change is ridiculous. Waste of money and resources. I will follow the specs and guidlines of the mfrs. that build and warranty the car, over an unknown blog engineer. Toyota and others have had start/stop cycle engines out for years, some of the most dependable on the road, and spec a normal oil change interval.

·
Registered
125 Posts
just saw this on an oil testing site -

In “Hybrid vehicles”, depending on the conditions when the vehicle is underway, the engine is sometimes running, and sometimes not running. And they usually also employ an “engine-off” feature when the vehicle comes to a stop. All this on-again/off-again engine operation creates a severe/extreme usage condition for the engine’s motor oil. That is because the oil cannot maintain a high enough temperature to keep normal condensation removed, which comes from the constant over, and over, and over, partial heating and then re-cooling of the oil. This is a textbook example of short trip operation on the motor oil, which, as mentioned above, is one of the worst things you can subject a motor oil to. As a result, in order to provide a Hybrid vehicle’s engine with the best possible wear protection, its motor oil should be changed much more frequently, such as at every 3,000 miles, because of this severe/extreme usage. So, it is in your best interest to ignore the ridiculously long oil change interval in the Owner’s Manual or the dash’s oil change indicator.

heres the link https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

looks like for 0w20 oils the best was --

The HIGHER the psi value, the BETTER the Wear Protection.

1. 0W20 Quaker State Ultimate Durability, API SN, synthetic (gold bottle) = 124,393 psi
Its onset of Thermal Breakdown = 270*F
2. 0W20 Toyota Motor Oil, API SN, synthetic = 101,460 psi
Its onset of Thermal Breakdown = 255*F
3. 0W20 Mobil 1 Extended Performance, API SN, dexos 1 approved, synthetic = 100,229 psi
Its onset of Thermal Breakdown = 265*F
4. 0W20 Pennzoil Platinum, Pure Plus Technology, made from Natural Gas, API SN, synthetic
(silver bottle with blue vertical stripe on the label) = 92,504 psi
It’s onset of Thermal Breakdown = 275*F
5. 0W20 Castrol Edge, Fluid Titanium Technology, API SN, dexos 1 approved, synthetic
(black bottle) = 90,745 psi
6. 0W20 Valvoline SynPower, API SN, synthetic = 89,556 psi
7. 0W20 Mobil 1 Advance Fuel Economy, API SN, dexos 1 approved, synthetic = 79,612 psi
8. 0W20 Kendall GT-1, with liquid Titanium, API SN, synthetic = 71,385 psi
It’s onset of Thermal Breakdown = 260*F

not on the list was 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi
The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN,
Whoever wrote this blog must work for Jiffy Lube. This isn't 1980.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK, a 3k mile oil change is ridiculous. Waste of money and resources. I will follow the specs and guidlines of the mfrs. that build and warranty the car, over an unknown blog engineer. Toyota and others have had start/stop cycle engines out for years, some of the most dependable on the road, and spec a normal oil change interval.
The dealer rep when we bought had set the interval to 3,000, then told us 3,000. I let it go because I knew it was 7,500 and this was the first Niro, or even hybrid, they had ever sold. Granted, the dealership is in Grand Forks, ND, so they need to gain experience. They hadn't even sent any service people to learn about hybrids yet, but I also can get that service done close to home. Hopefully we started them on a learning journey.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Brought mine in for its first oil change yesterday. Was told there was some sort of alert for a part on the hybrid engine but that there was no official recall. Told me they’d ordered the part and that I could wait until the next oil change to have it installed. Apparently not a critical issue but enough of an issue that Kia wants to remedy something. Might be worth asking about on your next dealer visit.

... and no it was not the child safety sticker replacement :) (although they did mention it too)

·
Registered
375 Posts
So I only have 2500 mi so far and the oil on my dip stick looks dirty. Is this common?
One of oils jobs is to grab onto dirt and combustion by-products that blow past the piston rings and deliver that to the oil filter.

So, Yes, oil should be somewhat dirty when it is functioning correctly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
While on a longer trip than I would normally take, and all in hybrid mode since the battery was at 0%, my Kia Niro Plug-in Hybrid went over the first 1000 miles. I have owned the Niro for 6 weeks now. I got an alert (see image) indicated that the Niro was ready for an oil change, and did I want to make an appointment? Based on the previous posts in this thread, it seems to me to be way to early to notify me to change the oil, unless Kia has had a policy change and wants the vehicle to change the oil after the engine has had a break-in period?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts