Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else experiencing low MPG with the LX model. So far I have about 2000 miles and the mileage has reduced from around 44 to 38. Not sure if the hot Florida sun and bad traffic is to blame.

Can anyone else provide some info.

Also, the car has the minor shutter when I run it cold. For the first few stops I can feel it but not at high speeds like some others.

thanks,

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's likely due to your driving style. I had to relearn how to drive in traffic. You have to let completely off the gas and coast as much as possible to maximize the MPG. If you are used to speeding up and hitting the breaks and repeating, that's likely the reason why.

How long is your normal drive? The shorter, the lesser the MPG's you get as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We do more small trips then anything else and we try to coast as much as possible. When we try to coast we try to hit the gas slightly to keep it in EV mode as much as possible. It feels like the car does not go into EV mode as much as it should.

The jerky feeling only happens when the car sits for a long time and its jerky when coming to a stop and then accelerating.

The car says we are only 1 percent aggressive so we are not driving the car hard. We use to be in the mid 40's at first but now it sucks down to 37.4. I know its how in Florida but from all the research I have done, almost everyone gets about 45 miles to even 60.

Don't know if its something I should bring to the dealers attention.

·
Registered
125 Posts
We do more small trips then anything else and we try to coast as much as possible. When we try to coast we try to hit the gas slightly to keep it in EV mode as much as possible. It feels like the car does not go into EV mode as much as it should.

The jerky feeling only happens when the car sits for a long time and its jerky when coming to a stop and then accelerating.

The car says we are only 1 percent aggressive so we are not driving the car hard. We use to be in the mid 40's at first but now it sucks down to 37.4. I know its how in Florida but from all the research I have done, almost everyone gets about 45 miles to even 60.

Don't know if its something I should bring to the dealers attention.
How far are these "small trips"? If it's 5 miles or less, it can be very difficult to get a higher MPG. Also, if you are going up and down hills that can negatively affect things as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trips around town are probably 10-20 miles with frequent stops at lights. No hills in south florida just ramps for highways but these are minimal.

I was under the impression that the hybrid was better at handling short trips.

Its just very hard to maintain it at 38MPG.

We drove from west palm to Miami when we first got the car and we got somewhere around 49MPG for about a 120 miles trip.

Just dont know if we should take to dealer to see if there is anything going on or is the 38mpg normal for our area. Wish I could talk to some other niro owners in the area.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How far are these "small trips"? If it's 5 miles or less, it can be very difficult to get a higher MPG. Also, if you are going up and down hills that can negatively affect things as well.
That's a good point. It is hard to get good mileage with ANY car with mostly short trips.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Personally, I think something is wrong. Should be closer to 50 MPG (like when you first had it).

I don't think any driving habit short of being crazy accelerating and foot on the gas to the floor would give 38 MPG. Not even air conditioning every time you drive would do that.

Heck, we need air all the time in TN in summer also. I am in the 50 + MPG for 6000 plus miles. Even 400 mile Hwy Trips been 50 MPG. Had one screwy reading when we were in Wilmington area April 1 for a wedding -- got into 40 something. Never did figure that one out.

I post mine on FUELLY every fill up. Take a look and see what others get.

Let KIA Customer Support know as well as the dealer you are unhappy (neither wants these cars know to be getting 38 MPG).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I now have 6500 miles on the Niro Touring and I was getting 45-47 MPG for the first 6,000 miles but these past 300-400 miles I am only getting 37.7 on the exact same trips. My morning trip to my health club (4 miles) every morning was getting 43 and now I am showing 27 for the same trip. I am not driving the car any different that I always have.

One early fuel fill the computer was showing 52 MPG on the first 200 miles and that tank averaged 47+ MPG. What are your thoughts on this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think I seen on the news that your temperature has went down, so depending on that you may doing just fine. The last 3 days it's been down as low as -15 here in Minnesota and on my 6 mile drive I'm getting 25 mpg. That's down from 55 mpg when it's 70 degrees. Check your engine Temp, mine comes up very slow and suspect a bad thermostat. I haven't made any longer trips at these temps yet..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in Texas. I've noticed that the engine needs to run more to make the heater work which causes the MPG to go down. In the summer I average around 48 to 50 MPG. My drive to work is 23 miles, all highway. To work it's closer to 46 though and due to traffic, going home is around 55.

Right now it's in the 30s and when I first turn my car on it goes full motor for a while but will switch.

Also, make sure your tires are at the correct psi ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have only 323 miles on my EX, but currently sitting at 44.6 mpg. The way it's going when I refill I should be at 46. That's not bad for a first tank, considering I live in the Foothills of Los Angeles, and I do have a return trip up a nice hill! I also subscribed to Fuelly, I will post the mpg as time goes by! "You played it for her, you can play it for me, just play it Sam!"

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing low MPG with the LX model. So far I have about 2000 miles and the mileage has reduced from around 44 to 38. Not sure if the hot Florida sun and bad traffic is to blame.

Can anyone else provide some info.

Also, the car has the minor shutter when I run it cold. For the first few stops I can feel it but not at high speeds like some others.

thanks,
We went from 50-57mpg Summer & Fall to 21mpg in winter, but we're in very Northern NY, single digit temps, below zero, and short trips under 5 miles. Longer trips and mpg increases.

Have you tried looking at the small display behind the steering wheel exactly when you power the car off? This will give you the mpg for that trip only. The on going mpg on the large "radio" display is tank average I believe. I have seen that at 24mpg (sub zero weather) yet hit 33mpg on the smaller display for "current trip mpg"................ once spring and summer and fall are back I"m sure we'll be high 50's again.

Fortunately for you in Florida you don't have to deal with these temperatures. coasting helps a LOT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got 12000 miles on my LX and it has went from an average of 53 mpg all summer to around 30 now. This take's in to account I start it up and it runs for 10 minuets before I leave the garage and still gets 29 mpg on the trip readout. This is with the outside temp between -15 to zero for the last 2 weeks here in Minnesota. I did make a 40 mile trip out of town and still got 43 mpg so I think it's doing ok. And I love the heater and in the service manual it says it is 5,300 watt, so if it's on full blast it's got to take 5 to 7 hp just to run that.. The Soul I had never got over 20 mph in the cold winter time driving the same way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your Niro hybrid has an electric heater? I've not seen that option listed on Kia's site. That might be the BEV Niro spec.
Yes, all Niro's have a 5,300 watt electric heater and it really works great. Kia has uploaded the service manual to the internet, just do a search for "Kia Niro service manual". I've worked on car's and trucks for years and this is one of the best manual I have seen. That is one reason the mpg drops so much, that heater working at full heat, 5,300 watts should take some where around 7 or 8 HP to keep in working. It's worth it to me here in Minnesota...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes, all Niro's have a 5,300 watt electric heater and it really works great. Kia has uploaded the service manual to the internet, just do a search for "Kia Niro service manual". I've worked on car's and trucks for years and this is one of the best manual I have seen. That is one reason the mpg drops so much, that heater working at full heat, 5,300 watts should take some where around 7 or 8 HP to keep in working. It's worth it to me here in Minnesota...
Forgive my ignorance (literally), but if it's an electric heater, why doesn't it kick in until the ICE warms up? I can literally hear the fans kick in once the ICE gets to a certain temperature while the HVAC system is on Auto.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts