Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have placed an order for a white touring with the technology package. I was told it was the first Niro sold in Tulsa however there were none in stock and I was told my arrival date would be March 23rd. They wanted my 2011 Cadillac SRX Performance and I was given a new Optima Hybrid to drive while I wait the arrival of the NIRO. There was not one to test drive however they had a unit on the floor that had no serial number and a note that it could not be driven or ever registered. The reason I traded the Cadillac was for MPG's. I just retired Dec. 31st and was quite aware of the 15/16 mpg I was getting so I knew I wanted a hybrid and was expecting to purchase a Optima or Sonata but after seeing the Super Bowl ad for the Niro I opted to change my thinking. I will post once it is in hand and comment on my first drive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Curious to know what you think of the Optima seats after a long drive. I drove an Optima several weeks ago, after 6 hours of driving I was wishing the driver's seat was built by MB, BMW, Audi or VW.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not been in the car for more than a 20 mile trip. Seat bottom seems a lit firm but I do like the lumbar support that allows for a four way action which should be good for the back. The loaner I am driving has the cloth seats so have no clue if the leather ones are more comfortable. This is my first drive in a Hybrid and I must say it is very responsive. I have driven about 150 miles and have averaged 41 mpg. I am told that our new Niro is scheduled to arrive on the 23rd. of March.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm on my second tank....65mpg to empty and even hauling a 14' paddle board the computer avg is 43.4mpg! Now on the interstate it's pretty doggy, especially with the board on the roof!

I got the light grey interior....the electric blue stitching and accents are really nice!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm on my second tank....65mpg to empty and even hauling a 14' paddle board the computer avg is 43.4mpg! Now on the interstate it's pretty doggy, especially with the board on the roof!

I got the light grey interior....the electric blue stitching and accents are really nice!
Do you mind taking pics of that interior for us to see? I wasn't sure how I felt about the blue in the pics online, etc.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you mind taking pics of that interior for us to see? I wasn't sure how I felt about the blue in the pics online, etc.
Please note....the hole in the back seat with the carbon fiber paddle shaft sticking through it....was added by myself!

Also I painted the calipers blue....by myself!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Irpavlo,

"Please note....the hole in the back seat with the carbon fiber paddle shaft sticking through it....was added by myself!"

How did you cut and finish the hole throuhg the seat? Love the idea as I have lacrosse defense (D) sticks to carry around and would really appreciate the hole. I had a Jetta TDI that had a panel that was removable when the rear middle armrest was in the down position. It was perfect for the D stick poles to slide through.

"Also I painted the calipers blue....by myself!"

How did you paint the calipers? Very nice touch! What paint did you use?

LostSailor

·
Registered
78 Posts
Irpavlo,

"Please note....the hole in the back seat with the carbon fiber paddle shaft sticking through it....was added by myself!"

How did you cut and finish the hole throuhg the seat? Love the idea as I have lacrosse defense (D) sticks to carry around and would really appreciate the hole. I had a Jetta TDI that had a panel that was removable when the rear middle armrest was in the down position. It was perfect for the D stick poles to slide through.

"Also I painted the calipers blue....by myself!"

How did you paint the calipers? Very nice touch! What paint did you use?

LostSailor
LostSailor....I'm a TDI man myself, almost ready to turn in my Jetta Sportwagen. I brought the car to an upholstery shop, guy charged me $100 to cut the hole and trim it. For the brakes I used rustoleum oil based paint....same paint I painted all my TDI calipers with!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Which Niro do you have?

As you well know, the Jetta TDI is an amazing piece of engineering, lies and all! ARGH! One thing I've never had to worry about was having enough power for whatever situation laid itself out to me. I have a fear that the Niro doesn't have that kind of power and/or that I will not be able to adjust to not having the power if needed. I've test driven the LX and the Touring. The Touring at 170 pounds heavier than the others models didn't seem to have an issue but I was driving very conservatively.

Also, with my TDI, I get 43 (average) in my CITY driving. When I test drove the Niro, I took it with 3 people in the car (my oldest daughter and the saels person) and we drove a longer loop that included about 5 miles of highway. The computer read 38 mpg. For teh fun of it, I took my TDI on the same route, 45 minutes after we got back to the dealer. I reset the computer and I got 42 on the same drive. Seems to me that I need to learn how to drive the Niro before I can really compare the two, but I was doing a lot coasting and really trying to bring the Niro back with more battery than when we left. I did succeed in that endeavor, but wasn't impressed with 38 mpg.

From a current owners perspective, I would be interested in your thoughts between the Niro and the TDI.

I turn in my Jetta on the 28th and am really going to miss it. It fits me like a glove. :-( BUT! I have the chance to find something new and certainly the Niro has a lot a positives going for it.

Thanks so much!

Lost Sailor

·
Registered
78 Posts
Which Niro do you have?

As you well know, the Jetta TDI is an amazing piece of engineering, lies and all! ARGH! One thing I've never had to worry about was having enough power for whatever situation laid itself out to me. I have a fear that the Niro doesn't have that kind of power and/or that I will not be able to adjust to not having the power if needed. I've test driven the LX and the Touring. The Touring at 170 pounds heavier than the others models didn't seem to have an issue but I was driving very conservatively.

Also, with my TDI, I get 43 (average) in my CITY driving. When I test drove the Niro, I took it with 3 people in the car (my oldest daughter and the saels person) and we drove a longer loop that included about 5 miles of highway. The computer read 38 mpg. For teh fun of it, I took my TDI on the same route, 45 minutes after we got back to the dealer. I reset the computer and I got 42 on the same drive. Seems to me that I need to learn how to drive the Niro before I can really compare the two, but I was doing a lot coasting and really trying to bring the Niro back with more battery than when we left. I did succeed in that endeavor, but wasn't impressed with 38 mpg.

From a current owners perspective, I would be interested in your thoughts between the Niro and the TDI.

I turn in my Jetta on the 28th and am really going to miss it. It fits me like a glove. :-( BUT! I have the chance to find something new and certainly the Niro has a lot a positives going for it.

Thanks so much!

Lost Sailor
Well, I certainly miss the Torque of the TDI, especially on the Interstate! The German feel is hard to get but I'll have to say my Niro Touring handles quite well...example, a 270 degree 25mph off ramp I take a lot was OK at 40mph with the board on the roof of the Jetta Sportwagen...Last 2 trips I took it at 40-45 with the Niro even though it's 6" taller, it was fine! I was getting 32-34mpg with my sportwagen for the driving I do with the paddle board on the roof, so far with the Niro I'm averaging about 42mpg with the board on the roof in Florida, air on pretty much constantly! If I did a lot of freeway driving....I'd question the passing power of the Niro anything over 65mph is a challenge....whereas the TDI, set it at 75mph and go up the mountain or down the mountain it would never shift! I turn mine in on 3/27, will miss it but I like the Niro a lot!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Christ. I got a 2015 Jetta TDI that I just turned in this past Thursday, and i would never get better than 32-34 mpg average. Maybe the Urea tank has something to do with that, but I only got 45 mpg once on a road trip to Chicago and back. I was really disappointed with the milage seeing how my previous car, an 01 Golf TDI, averaged 42 regularly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Christ. I got a 2015 Jetta TDI that I just turned in this past Thursday, and i would never get better than 32-34 mpg average. Maybe the Urea tank has something to do with that, but I only got 45 mpg once on a road trip to Chicago and back. I was really disappointed with the milage seeing how my previous car, an 01 Golf TDI, averaged 42 regularly.
I may be getting good mileage but I'm polluting like crazy! That's the main reason I want a hybrid is to minimizr the damage I've been doing with the Jetta. ARGH!

Do you have a Niro and if so which one? What's your experience with the car especially the power of the engine?

Thanks -

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have a Niro and if so which one? What's your experience with the car especially the power of the engine?

Thanks -
I don't yet. I'm mulling over either a Niro or an Ioniq, but want the ability to test drive both before deciding. A dealer nearby has a couple LXs, an FE, and a few Touring, so I'm thinking of driving down there to take a look/test drive them to see how they run. Hyundai dealers in the area wont have Ioniqs till the end of the month, so want to check those too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is my situation here also. I want to test drive both and I'm leaning toward the Ioniq. The Kia dealer has an LX and EX but the Hyundai dealer just gives me the runaround concerning Ioniqs that he doesn't have but says he's getting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
TDI vs Niro

Which Niro do you have?

Thanks so much!

Lost Sailor
I will selling my Passat back to VW in 2018 and I share your sentiments. I love my Passat. I have looked at the Prius V, Ford Fusion Hybrid and Optima Hybrid as possible alternatives. The Optima/Fusion are closest in size. very quiet, not very exciting to drive. Miss that low end torque. Driving 20K mi a year, the hybrid makes sense. Still waiting to find a Niro I can drive. Sales of sedans/hybrids are down this year, so it will be interesting to see how the Niro's sell. Not excited by the local Kia dealers ratings after reading their reviews on YELP. Big ass blind spot driving the Prius. Ford is definitely willing to discount the Fusion. Another interesting note the new Chevy diesel engine is built in Poland, the same place the VW diesel engine is built. GM says it's the cleanest diesel engine built. Chevy has also announced that the 2018 Equinox will be available with the diesel. We will see what happens as Niros become more abundant and easier to find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will selling my Passat back to VW in 2018 and I share your sentiments. I love my Passat. I have looked at the Prius V, Ford Fusion Hybrid and Optima Hybrid as possible alternatives. The Optima/Fusion are closest in size. very quiet, not very exciting to drive. Miss that low end torque. Driving 20K mi a year, the hybrid makes sense. Still waiting to find a Niro I can drive. Sales of sedans/hybrids are down this year, so it will be interesting to see how the Niro's sell. Not excited by the local Kia dealers ratings after reading their reviews on YELP. Big ass blind spot driving the Prius. Ford is definitely willing to discount the Fusion. Another interesting note the new Chevy diesel engine is built in Poland, the same place the VW diesel engine is built. GM says it's the cleanest diesel engine built. Chevy has also announced that the 2018 Equinox will be available with the diesel. We will see what happens as Niros become more abundant and easier to find.
I have driven an EX and the Touring. I liked them both but not having the power that they TDI has means I have to learn to drive the Niro differently. I'm nervous about that as I can't test drive the car long enough to get a good read on this issue. I'm thinking I'll have to go to more dealers and take different test drives.

In regards to the Kia dealers around St Louis, the one I've been going to is highly rated but the sales guy I'm working with is pushy. I agree that finding a good dealer is critical. I drove 25 miles to my VW dealer when the local one is 2 miles away, but they are crooks. I have a personal story to tell if anyone wants to know how they wouldn't pay me back a deposit on a TEST DRIVE! Anyway....Spend the time to find a good dealer.

There are not that many Niro's in St Louis. And color choice and options are very limited. That's frustrating.

I look forward to your comments once you take a test drive.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have a personal story to tell if anyone wants to know how they wouldn't pay me back a deposit on a TEST DRIVE!
Any such thread of deposit complaints would quickly be very long. My personal favorite story is when Sprint charged me an early termination fee while I still had active service and had been out of contract for two years! OK, fixable right? They would not refund my money even after I beat on them some, but did give me a credit. Soon as that was worked down, I switched carriers. Can you imagine walking into any store, getting an accidental overcharge of $200, and them refusing to refund? That burned me a lot more than just the error.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Was in the same boat with sending my DieselGate back to VW. BUT... I had a 2002 Jetta TDI that considerately got 46+ mpg form the 1.9. When I got the 2012 Golf TDI I was getting 34+ mpg. The performace on the 2012 was waaaaay better, but the mileage was not.

Just got our Niro and the performance is similar to my 2002. After 200 miles I'm at 44 mpg and climbing with mostly city driving. This is great since it is a Touring model that is both larger and heavier than either my 2002 Jetta or the 2012 Golf.

So far so it has been amazing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Was in the same boat with sending my DieselGate back to VW. BUT... I had a 2002 Jetta TDI that considerately got 46+ mpg form the 1.9. When I got the 2012 Golf TDI I was getting 34+ mpg. The performace on the 2012 was waaaaay better, but the mileage was not.

Just got our Niro and the performance is similar to my 2002. After 200 miles I'm at 44 mpg and climbing with mostly city driving. This is great since it is a Touring model that is both larger and heavier than either my 2002 Jetta or the 2012 Golf.

So far so it has been amazing.
For a few years I was doing maintenance on 3 Golf TDI's, (wife and kids) a Beetle TDI, and a Passat Wagon TDI (both mine) I do miss the Torque, but I'm really enjoying the higher seating and instant cooling of the air conditioning and the mileage of the NIRO. I just don't do enough driving to justify the diesel anymore.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts