Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't see this topic so hope I am not doing a repeat.

My experience so far with the My Trips on the Owners Portal is that less than half of my driving gets recorded. It seems like the short trips of a few minutes are more likely to get recorded than trips of 30 minutes or more. Very few of the trips that are recorded show the route on the map. Is this typical for the application?

Also the trip tags seem to be limited to one word per tag with only letters and numbers. Is that correct or am I missing something?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Ya, I don't know what your talking about either. Do you need the navigation package to get this? I don't have the nav package.
Hmm, good question on the Nav. Here's how to find it assuming you have it.

Go to the Kia owner's portal webpage (myUvo). Hit the locations tab and then select My Trips. You should see something like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmm, good question on the Nav. Here's how to find it assuming you have it.

Go to the Kia owner's portal webpage (myUvo). Hit the locations tab and then select My Trips. You should see something like this:

Thank you .... It's not working for me either. Mine shows no trips at all and that's clearly not correct.

That said, I don't really use the UVO features much .... if at all. Maybe that's why?

·
Super Moderator
483 Posts
I wasn't aware of that function, so I just checked mine. It seems to have them all there, but the actual route never displays on the map when I click a trip. Is it supposed to?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I seem to have most of the UVO features, but am missing the find your car feature.

jmurphev, that site appears to be only for US Kia's. I entered my Niro's VIN and it said it was invalid. For UVO I use www.myuvo.ca in Canada.
Wow, welcome to this episode of region specific features. I'm trying to think of a technical reason why this would be limited to certain areas and coming up blank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I seem to have most of the UVO features, but am missing the find your car feature.

jmurphev, that site appears to be only for US Kia's. I entered my Niro's VIN and it said it was invalid. For UVO I use www.myuvo.ca in Canada.

I understand 'find your car' only works if you physically plug in your phone ... which I don't do. I wonder if the routing thing requires a physical connection as well.

For me: if some of these things worked while the phone was in the charger, simply by bluetooth, I'd use 'em more often. But my phone is sized such that it doesn't fit in the space well when actually plugged in. So I never bother.

·
Super Moderator
483 Posts
I understand 'find your car' only works if you physically plug in your phone ... which I don't do. I wonder if the routing thing requires a physical connection as well.

For me: if some of these things worked while the phone was in the charger, simply by bluetooth, I'd use 'em more often. But my phone is sized such that it doesn't fit in the space well when actually plugged in. So I never bother.
Mine shows trips I was using CarPlay, and other trips that I only connect via BT, so I don't think that's it. It has the 1/2 mile, two minute trip to my grandkids home (BT), the 100 mile trip I made on Monday (CarPlay), as well as assorted local trips of 1-40 miles. I only connect my phone if I want to use Waze, which I only do if I'm traveling on the freeway somewhere a ways away, or I'll connect it during my commute, solely to see my remaining distance home to judge if I need to engage HEV mode to save battery at all. But sometimes I just use the car nav for that, so the phone still isn't connected.

But I don't seem to get a route display on the map for any of the trips. Maybe you have to use the car's nav for that to display. I'll try that the next time I think of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine shows trips I was using CarPlay, and other trips that I only connect via BT, so I don't think that's it. It has the 1/2 mile, two minute trip to my grandkids home (BT), the 100 mile trip I made on Monday (CarPlay), as well as assorted local trips of 1-40 miles. I only connect my phone if I want to use Waze, which I only do if I'm traveling on the freeway somewhere a ways away, or I'll connect it during my commute, solely to see my remaining distance home to judge if I need to engage HEV mode to save battery at all. But sometimes I just use the car nav for that, so the phone still isn't connected.

But I don't seem to get a route display on the map for any of the trips. Maybe you have to use the car's nav for that to display. I'll try that the next time I think of it.

I basically only ever use the on board Nav and my 'trips' record shows that I haven't driven the car at all. :eek:

·
Registered
385 Posts
I can say from first hand experience that this is not correct. 'Find your car' uses the Niro's own cellular modem and does not require a separate phone to work.*

*At least in my car in the US because evidently things are different in other places. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can say from first hand experience that this is not correct. 'Find your car' uses the Niro's own cellular modem and does not require a separate phone to work.*

*At least in my car in the US because evidently things are different in other places. :D

Really? That's interesting .... because when I first got my car ( Dec 2018, greater DC area Niro EX with all options) I did some playing around. Now, every time I get out of my car, I get a message that my car's location has not been stored -- UNLESS I plug in the phone before I turn off the car. Which I never remember to do

Hmmmm ...... I may have to do some more playing. :DWhen I was going through menus the other day to figure out the clock issue, I did notice there's a wifi setting which is currently turned off. Maybe I'll turn that on and see what happens. But I know I haven't paid for there to be a bonafide cell (3G/4G/LTE) connection of the car to the world. Off to read some more in the various manuals.

·
Super Moderator
483 Posts
I made a short trip this morning. 10 miles out to a store and then back. The portal already shows both trips. I used the nav on the way home to monitor my distance remaining, to compare to my remaining EV range. What I did notice is that that portal says it was 9.94 miles out (the car trip meter showed about 10 1/2), and 9.32 miles back. I did stop at my daughter's house on the way home, so that adds another 0.7 miles to the trip (and the portal doesn't show that last short trip, but does show me going to their house and back last night). When I pulled back in the driveway the trip meter showed 21 miles total, and used 15 miles of EV range. Pleased with that. :). But the portal isn't quite accurate on distance traveled, at least compared to the car's odometer. And it still doesn't actually display the route traveled on the map.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

My car does not have nav or a built in modem. Yet the 2018 UVO app, at least for a few times, did find my car, apparently using iPhone location.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My car does not have nav or a built in modem. Yet the 2018 UVO app, at least for a few times, did find my car, apparently using iPhone location.
I bet that every car has GPS and a modem regardless of trim level or tech package. That's most likely how the emergency services feature provides location info (does every Niro come with that? Dunno). I doubt that the car is pulling location info from a connected phone.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Really? That's interesting .... because when I first got my car ( Dec 2018, greater DC area Niro EX with all options) I did some playing around. Now, every time I get out of my car, I get a message that my car's location has not been stored -- UNLESS I plug in the phone before I turn off the car. Which I never remember to do

Hmmmm ...... I may have to do some more playing. :DWhen I was going through menus the other day to figure out the clock issue, I did notice there's a wifi setting which is currently turned off. Maybe I'll turn that on and see what happens. But I know I haven't paid for there to be a bonafide cell (3G/4G/LTE) connection of the car to the world. Off to read some more in the various manuals.
Funny, I've never seen a message about the location being stored or not. Every time I've used the 'Find my car' feature, and I've used it a bunch (use it to figure out where my wife is on her commute so I can estimate when she'll get home) it just works. I just tried it now and it found the car parked in the driveway outside with no phone connected.

Just saw you said your car has a WiFi feature. That's one I don't have (2018 PHEV EX Premium US spec) so we may be talking apples and oranges here.

·
Registered
57 Posts

You don't have to pay for the connection, but you will eventually be asked to pay for UVO in order to access the features reliant on that connection, though it is free for the first 3 years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts