Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opened up the door and the plastic cap next to the handle and the entire door handle detached from the car. Only have 3,000 miles on the car and taking it to the dealer for repair. Hopefully this doesn't ever happen again. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
This happened to my Niro too three days ago. The rear passanger side handle detached. Had to tape it in place while the dealership waits for the part to arrive from somewhere.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This just happened to us yesterday, 3 months old, less than 2,000 miles. Posted it in the "Niro weak door handles" section.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nick Bibeault

October 4 at 5:20pm

For all of those that may have had exterior door handle issues, kia has released a new service bulletin (BOD173) to replace all exterior door handle caps with exception to the driver front door on some cars built between 11/01/16 through 04/12/17. Call your dealers to check to see if this applies to your vehicle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We just had ours fixed due to the passenger door handle breaking. I don't see this being the cap. It is because whatever the handle attaches to inside the door detaches and because the cap is plastic it breaks. If you look at the pictures of the cap on the other thread you can see a circular area with ribs and see that the plastic is broken in that area. In any event the dealer did not replace the caps on the rear driver or passenger doors. Is a service bulletin a recall item or does the item have to break first?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had inquired at my dealer about the service bulletin and he said they had to break first before they would replace. He said I have until 5 years or 60,000 miles for them to be covered. I am the only driver, so I don't use the other doors that often....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Went to dealership Tuesday they ordered part will hopefully be there Thursday or Friday getting it put on. Guy said 20 minutes max to do it. I will keep you guys updated. The service guy said to hold on to the parts because Kia wants to get a look at them. I told him the part said right on it 2017.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts