Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2020 Niro PHEV and am using an OBD2 scanner in conjunction with Torque Pro to analyze performance. I rode the car around a ring road with cruise set to 25 mph to see how many MPGe I could achieve (where MPGe = 3370.5/(kWh/100mi). The results were so good I'm wondering if it's too good to be true?
PHEVresults.PNG
TwinOaks-091020.PNG

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
That's about what I would expect at such a low and steady speed. You're in the best possible configuration, but of course it's completely unobtainable in real world driving. With my PHEV, I see the best range real world at around 35-40 MPH on long stretches without lights or stop signs. At freeways speeds I can't do any better than EPA miles, but at slower speeds I am more often around 30 miles (or more) with HVAC on. That's 25% better than EPA.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's about what I would expect at such a low and steady speed. You're in the best possible configuration, but of course it's completely unobtainable in real world driving. With my PHEV, I see the best range real world at around 35-40 MPH on long stretches without lights or stop signs. At freeways speeds I can't do any better than EPA miles, but at slower speeds I am more often around 30 miles (or more) with HVAC on. That's 25% better than EPA.
Thanks for the reply. In keeping with the real world, I graphed the results of my trip today to the Dentist. The results are more realistic for city/local driving. There were lots of street lights, but I did keep cruise at 40 mph whenever possible.
ToDentist.PNG

ToDentist2.PNG

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
Yep, the Kia/Hyundai twins are extremely efficient. I think the Ioniq even bests Tesla in some metrics. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming dedicated EV platform from Kia next year.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yesterday we were in a rush to get to our favorite Mexican restaurant during their lunch hour, so as a result, our MPGe took a beating. We didn't even match EPA ratings in city/local driving as seen below. You can see that accelerations and decelerations were much more aggressive and no use of cruise control. When comparing this graph to the previous one also for city/local driving we can see the effect of driving habit on all electric efficiency.

CasaTequilla.PNG

CasaTequilla2.PNG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you pull EV vs HEV miles from torque pro? just confirming. I have used Lite for years on engines for code reading and sensor checks but I wanted this specific stat and was unsure if its in torque pro. You have the exact same car as I so...can you read it out?

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can you pull EV vs HEV miles from torque pro? just confirming. I have used Lite for years on engines for code reading and sensor checks but I wanted this specific stat and was unsure if its in torque pro. You have the exact same car as I so...can you read it out?
I'm not exactly sure where you're going, but, there are certainly ways to do that. For example you could search for non-zero engine RPM which would mark the transition from all electric to hybrid. I don't think Torque Pro makes the distinction, but the data certainly includes the necessary data. I assume you have the PID file which is located at:
https://github.com/JejuSoul/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/blob/master/Kia Niro PHEV - 8.9kWh/extendedpids/0_Niro_PIDs_final.csv

with the file itself attached. I usually load the tracklog file into an Excel-compatible spreadsheet and do whatever analysis is needed from there. Let me know if I can help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I scanned through the Torque Pro parameters and the closest I could find was called:
Run time since engine start

Unfortunately that's cumulative and continues to count even after car fully charged and car reverts to EV only. Even if you use motor RPM and engine RPM, it won't be definitive since the motor will run intermittently even after switch over from EV to Hybrid. I've attached a graph showing speed, motor, engine, and HSG RPM at the transition point from EV to Hybrid. One thing that perplexes me is the periods during which motor and engine RPM seem to overlap? That's a mystery?
EV-Hybrid.PNG

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recently took a 45 mile trip. I have graphed the EV only portion with calculated values of kWh/100mi and MPGe. You can see that at low speed (local) driving, both variables fluctuate wildly. Once on the highway at 67 mph with AC on, they level out at 30.2 kWh/100mi and 111.7 MPGe. We did slightly better than the EPA values of 32 kWh/100mi and 105 MPGe.
EVonly.PNG

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One thing that perplexes me is the periods during which motor and engine RPM seem to overlap? That's a mystery?
View attachment 6416
I now understand the mystery. The engine and motor are interconnected by a clutch so whenever the clutch is engaged, both will have the same RPM. At around an x-axis value of 100, the engine starts with clutch disengaged. This explains why their RPMs are different. After a short time, the engine speeds up to match motor speed and clutch engages at which points their speeds overlap. There is a very short period around x equals 430 that clutch opens, engine slows down and then stops. Mystery solved!

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Today I decided to record kWh/100mi and MPGe at the lowest speed that I could set cruise to which turned out to be 20 mph. I went two times around my ring road for a distance of 2.7 miles with cruise on and AC off. Ac can be seen kWh/100mi approached 11 and MPGe approached 300. Note: the steps in kWh/100mi and MPGe are caused by the limited resolution of the energy discharged (kWh) parameters which is limited to 0.1 kWh.
TwinOaksX2-20.PNG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts