Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just noticed in brochure dealer gave me after PHEV test drive that battery capacity is not covered, however the E- Niro battery capacity is guaranteed to 65% by Kia. Realise this is a long shot as the PHEV has only been on sale since 2017 but has anyone experienced reduced battery capacity and if so what were the effects on EV range/mpg.
Fionn

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
No one has experienced a displayed loss of capacity for the simple reason that there is an undisclosed capacity reserve. That would have to be completely degraded before you might notice a change in the range remaining display. While the EV has a different battery cooling technology than the PHEV, I doubt strongly because of the battery management system and far less possibility for extreme use that the PHEV would degrade faster. The opposite is likely true.

Where did you see a published claim of 65% (presumably in 10 years)? Hyundai/Kia has never done that before to my knowledge. Some other manufacturers do have a specific mention of 70% in their warranty over 10 years.

Except in extreme BEV use, degradation is simply not a primary concern. Lots of 15 year old Prii out there with no issues (different battery chemistry though). I would have concerns with a car like the Leaf, with no active cooling, but otherwise failure (covered by warranty) is more of a concern, but also rare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No one has experienced a displayed loss of capacity for the simple reason that there is an undisclosed capacity reserve. That would have to be completely degraded before you might notice a change in the range remaining display. While the EV has a different battery cooling technology than the PHEV, I doubt strongly because of the battery management system and far less possibility for extreme use that the PHEV would degrade faster. The opposite is likely true.

Where did you see a published claim of 65% (presumably in 10 years)? Hyundai/Kia has never done that before to my knowledge. Some other manufacturers do have a specific mention of 70% in their warranty over 10 years.

Except in extreme BEV use, degradation is simply not a primary concern. Lots of 15 year old Prii out there with no issues (different battery chemistry though). I would have concerns with a car like the Leaf, with no active cooling, but otherwise failure (covered by warranty) is more of a concern, but also rare.
Thanks for that info (y). Reference the guaranteed 65% battery capacity in the EV, that was published on the back page of the Kia Niro PHEV Brochure/Booklet detailing the 7 Year Warranty under the heading "Battery Units". It is published by KIa Motors Ireland so has to have been authorised by Kia Motors Intl.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Ah. In the US, the warranty is for 10 years without a mention of percentage. The similar Ioniq PHEV has a "lifetime" battery warranty, again with no mention of percentage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts