Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery experts say to maximize battery life it's best to keep the charge level between 20 and 80%.

What does kia say?

Does kia allow one to set the max charge at 80%?

or does kia do this already internally?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've also wondered about this, I think we'd need Kia assistance for an accurate answer.

My guess is that if your daily mileage is for example 20 mi, charging only to that level would provide some benefit, but I really am guessing.

The other related consideration is that battery life is also a function of the number of discharge/charge cycles, so ideally you'd want to minimize those as well.

FWIW I've read that Chevy Volt does indeed include this consideration in its programming, reserving battery capacity for later in the vehicle's life.

Jim

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've also wondered about this, I think we'd need Kia assistance for an accurate answer.

My guess is that if your daily mileage is for example 20 mi, charging only to that level would provide some benefit, but I really am guessing.

The other related consideration is that battery life is also a function of the number of discharge/charge cycles, so ideally you'd want to minimize those as well.

FWIW I've read that Chevy Volt does indeed include this consideration in its programming, reserving battery capacity for later in the vehicle's life.

Jim
While I don't know how Kia has it programmed, it would be nuts for them to make it charge to 100% and drain to 0% every cycle. It would reduce the battery lifespan by YEARS.

More likely, they probably program it so that "100% charge" is really closer to 80%, and "0% charge" is really more like 20%. Keeping the battery within that charge range prolongs the battery life by orders of magnitude. So it's very, very unlikely that Kia didn't factor that into their software.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Talked to Kia in 2017 about battery charge (bought the first EX models on dealers lot in FEB 2017 - now have 19,718 miles) only being around 50% + /- .

It is designed to be that way (forget the range they quoted -- like 40% to 70% or what ever they said). It's posted on here someplace and relieved a lot of folks concern about battery not being fully charged.

Reason per KIA is battery life.

Anyway, it is what it is and don't think anyway for an individual to change that and would not advise changing either (leave it to the engineers).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts