Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious,
when I first got my PHEV, I was only charging at night when I got home, and that would get me to work, then I had to use gas during my work day, and on the way home.
In early December I started charging at work as well, which means now I am fully charging the battery twice a day.
I am wondering if this will have any effect on the lifespan of the battery.

I know on full EV vehicles, charge cycles are everything, but on the smaller phev battery, isn't there a buffer at the top and bottom, so the cycling I am doing wouldn't be as bad correct?

Since I started charging at both ends of the commute, I am only using about 1 tank of gas per month, instead of filling it every 8 or 9 work days

·
Premium Member
2020 Kia Niro EX Premium
57 Posts
We charge our 2020 PHEV after every trip, regardless of how far we drained the battery. From what I have read this should not be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,001 Posts
Mine was plugged in whenever possible. Yes, charge cycles are important. But you are correct that the PHEV has buffers that cannot be used. The engine will kick on at around 16% SoC, and under most cases it never goes lower than that. When it's at 100%, there's an overhead the car can't use as well. You can tell because regen isn't available with the battery at 100%. My Bolt is the same way, no regen at 100% battery. Even though there's a buffer there, the programming won't let the car use it. I believe the PHEV battery will last far longer than the rest of the car. :D

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
There is a protective buffer. So you really can charge "100%" indicated without the consequences of a truly 100% charged battery. Mostly it is BEVs that can potentially suffer from 100% charges, particularly if left at 100% for some time, or fast charged producing too much heat. In terms of battery longevity, HEVs are the best with aggressive BMS that keep their batteries on average 50% charged. Well designed PHEVs are next best (even though their range is diminished) and do not feature fast charging, and then BEVs.

So I wouldn't worry about it. If you tend to worry, consider your generous powertrain warranty that includes the traction battery and just stop it! Not healthy for your brain buffers!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was just curious, because I do have a lengthy commute (30 miles each way) and I also drive to different locations throughout the day for my job. By charging multiple times per day I am maximizing the miles I am on electric only, and greatly reducing my use of gasoline.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was just curious, because I do have a lengthy commute (30 miles each way) and I also drive to different locations throughout the day for my job. By charging multiple times per day I am maximizing the miles I am on electric only, and greatly reducing my use of gasoline.
I'm doing the same and only filling up once a month. If you're concerned about the battery, review the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,001 Posts
That's exactly the way I used mine. My overall MPG was around 140, and that's still using the engine for heat in the winter. Driving a couple thousand miles without refueling was easy in the summer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am just curious,
when I first got my PHEV, I was only charging at night when I got home, and that would get me to work, then I had to use gas during my work day, and on the way home.
In early December I started charging at work as well, which means now I am fully charging the battery twice a day.
I am wondering if this will have any effect on the lifespan of the battery.

I know on full EV vehicles, charge cycles are everything, but on the smaller PH/EV battery, isn't there a buffer at the top and bottom, so the cycling I am doing wouldn't be as bad correct?

Since I started charging at both ends of the commute, I am only using about 1 tank of gas per month, instead of filling it every 8 or 9 work days
I recently purchased CA Up-front for a 2018 EV/HB. I deal in Lithium cells and with knowledge of their construction and my handling of them can say, ( PH ) has 3 modes of charging, If you are wondering why distance is reduced during winter, it is because you loose 20% of the batteries power because of frigid temps that slows down the reaction for charge/discharge cycle.
To protect your battery from you, use only 110/115 charging cycles during winter to prevent damage to the cells.. Degradation, it can do more damage during a 220 30 amp charge and create condensation on the cells that will fry cells or cause them to catch fire.
DO not use 220 if your car has sat for more than 3 hours at temps below 30, If in a pinch, only use 220 during summer months and bite the bullet during the winter. You shorten the life time of the cells by 7 years, if you are charging it 2 times a day, be sure to keep it between 23%-87%, it should not harm the cells at all, if you fully charge above 90-99% you do loose ( 10% of your MILLI-AMPS ) accross the board when you discharge below 30% over 100 cycles and from a charge above 95%, the heat will destroy the cells.
It causes the cells to heat up and expell the gasses as its being vented out of the car. Do not block the air vents in your car that your battery uses, it can ( KILL YOUR CELLS / OVER HEAT / FRY / DEAD ), but be sure to understand the warranty on the battery to protect your investment.
Companies will screw you over and the electronics can go bad way before the batteries do. The 60,000 bumper to bumper (should / must cover electronics as well ) it will tell you a lot but make sure the battery is covered for 120,000. If not, no EV is worth it, regardless if it is ( GOING GREEN ) because the quality in electronics from CHINA is like listening to JOE BIDEN telling you the truth, it is NOT POSSIBLE and he can care less. ( SO MUCH FOR YOUR WARRANTY )
It is all about steeling from you and giving it to everyone around the world. Get a lawyer to read the fine print and try to understand what it is that your are buying. Cover the battery for at least 10-15 years and it is for a ( FULL WARRANTY not LIMITED liability ) which means you are at fault 100% of the time. ( PROVE IT ).

·
Registered
2018 Niro EX Touring Graphite Edition
77 Posts
I recently purchased CA Up-front for a 2018 EV/HB. I deal in Lithium cells and with knowledge of their construction and my handling of them can say, ( PH ) has 3 modes of charging, If you are wondering why distance is reduced during winter, it is because you loose 20% of the batteries power because of frigid temps that slows down the reaction for charge/discharge cycle.
To protect your battery from you, use only 110/115 charging cycles during winter to prevent damage to the cells.. Degradation, it can do more damage during a 220 30 amp charge and create condensation on the cells that will fry cells or cause them to catch fire.
DO not use 220 if your car has sat for more than 3 hours at temps below 30, If in a pinch, only use 220 during summer months and bite the bullet during the winter. You shorten the life time of the cells by 7 years, if you are charging it 2 times a day, be sure to keep it between 23%-87%, it should not harm the cells at all, if you fully charge above 90-99% you do loose ( 10% of your MILLI-AMPS ) accross the board when you discharge below 30% over 100 cycles and from a charge above 95%, the heat will destroy the cells.
It causes the cells to heat up and expell the gasses as its being vented out of the car. Do not block the air vents in your car that your battery uses, it can ( KILL YOUR CELLS / OVER HEAT / FRY / DEAD ), but be sure to understand the warranty on the battery to protect your investment.
Companies will screw you over and the electronics can go bad way before the batteries do. The 60,000 bumper to bumper (should / must cover electronics as well ) it will tell you a lot but make sure the battery is covered for 120,000. If not, no EV is worth it, regardless if it is ( GOING GREEN ) because the quality in electronics from CHINA is like listening to JOE BIDEN telling you the truth, it is NOT POSSIBLE and he can care less. ( SO MUCH FOR YOUR WARRANTY )
It is all about steeling from you and giving it to everyone around the world. Get a lawyer to read the fine print and try to understand what it is that your are buying. Cover the battery for at least 10-15 years and it is for a ( FULL WARRANTY not LIMITED liability ) which means you are at fault 100% of the time. ( PROVE IT ).
Where we go one, we go all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts