Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Niro S Touring HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering getting a 2020 Niro PHEV, but am concerned about availability of emergency service (though obviously hope to never need). The two Kia dealers closest to me do not sell PHEV or EV, because they are not certified. Cannot sell, but also "cannot touch" to service, they tell me. Seems like Kia should require this.

Can get PHEVs at dealer 15-20 miles away. Doable for normal maint or non-emergency repairs, but ... does anybody have experience with a breakdown far afield, and problems finding someone to repair?
Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Niro S Touring HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, thanks. AFTER I posted, I ran across another post saying it took weeks for transport for their PHEV. But now am not finding again for reference. :+(

Not yet set on PHEV vs HEV. Will any Kia dealer handle the HEV, or do they need special (sub)certification also? Thinking about long stretches of not much, such as some areas between PA and NC.

While I am very techie in some areas, last car was 2007 Ford Focus for 10 years, and a 1996 Corolla for 13 years before that. So both fascinated by and leary of all the gadgetry that can fail, but determined that new car be a hybrid. Paranoid moth to high-MPG flame. :+)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Any Kia dealer can handle the HEV. We use our HEV for several trips a year back and forth from Fl. to Pa. (except for this year :(

·
Registered
2019 Niro S Touring HEV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is the related post that I saw:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Any Kia dealer can handle the HEV. We use our HEV for several trips a year back and forth from Fl. to Pa. (except for this year :(
FINiro, I think you might be mistaken. Any Kia dealer can do "safe" things like change oil or rotate tires, but for anything more complicated, I think they insist on having a mechanic who has been trained at "Kia School" about the dangers of high voltage and the orange cable, even for the HEV.

HybridAtLast: what I've found is that a lot of the dealer service shops are qualified: they've invested in training at least some of their technicians, but they haven't always invested in training their service writers and those folks (who are usually the ones you talk with) are sometimes confused about what they are qualified to service. My local dealer tried to turn me away twice in a row because the service writer didn't understand that a PHEV is not an EV (he just knew that their techs weren't trained on EVs yet). It never occurred to him that I was asking for an oil change for my PHEV (something that I presume an EV doesn't need). So that was kind of funny. I had to appeal on social media (which caught the attention of their corporate office) to get them to educate their service writers into saying "Yes, we can work on your PHEV".

I think your best bet is to look at what the dealer is selling for new cars: if they have a new HEV for sale then they should be able to service it. Ditto for the PHEV and EV. But you might run into a service writer who hasn't had the education benefit that a lot of dealers invest in their best technicians.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'd be shocked to see a Kia dealer who didn't sell or service the most basic Niro (HEV(.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Typically, only one dealer mechanic is fully up to speed and internally certified on hybrids and EVs. Training costs would be stupid to put all mechanics through for what, 2% of all service needs? For liability reasons (in part related to their own staff), dealers cannot perform many services when that one guy is not working or has moved on. Their policies, and perhaps Kia's. It is what it is. But it is not shocking.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'd be shocked to see a Kia dealer who didn't sell or service the most basic Niro (HEV(.
They're not common, but there are some dealers like that:

These guys don't have any new Niros, but they do have one used 2017 Niro https://www.vansycklekia.com/search/new-kia-bangor-me/?cy=04401&tp=new
I don't think used counts though: they also have used BMWs, Chevys, Fords, etc. And they're not likely to be qualified to work on anything complex for any of those either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts