Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 PHEV. I am noticing that the EV torque/acceleration I used to get when I first had the car now seems less. Is this actually happening to older cars in EV mode or I am just used to it?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I have a 2018 PHEV. I am noticing that the EV torque/acceleration I used to get when I first had the car now seems less. Is this actually happening to older cars in EV mode or I am just used to it?
I haven't noticed any change in my '18 plug in. EV acceleration still seems about the same and my battery range hasn't degraded at all. Still seems pretty peppy given the relatively puny electric motor in the Kia.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
You didn't state how many miles you have on it, but I can't say I've seen any loss in mine over 2 years and 19,000 miles.

·
Registered
871 Posts
You didn't state how many miles you have on it, but I can't say I've seen any loss in mine over 2 years and 19,000 miles.
Good point, I'm at 49,000 in my '18.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine has 17K miles. I noticed because when I used to accelerate to get on a highway, I was able to do so on 100% EV but now, the gas engine kicks in as well. I spoke to a mechanic at the dealer today and he says there's really no test to measure that and the battery seems fine.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
Depending on the weather, it might just be the ICE firing up for cabin heat. Battery degradation would not account for a loss of acceleration, only range. Could there be a failure in the EV control module? Certainly possible, but I would expect that to trigger some sort of warning, either on screen or found by a mechanic with a Kia scanner. Not the simple OBDII scanners, as anything they detect would likely trigger the Check Engine Light.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine has 17K miles. I noticed because when I used to accelerate to get on a highway, I was able to do so on 100% EV but now, the gas engine kicks in as well. I spoke to a mechanic at the dealer today and he says there's really no test to measure that and the battery seems fine.
On the contrary, there is an instrument sensor to measure that, it's called an accelerometer. Accelerometers can be used to measure vehicle acceleration.
Accelerometers are used in vehicle Electronic stability control systems to measure the vehicle's actual movement. A computer compares the vehicle's actual movement to the driver's steering and throttle input. The stability control computer can selectively brake individual wheels and/or reduce engine power to minimize the difference between driver input and the vehicle's actual movement. This can help prevent the vehicle from spinning or rolling over.
Some notebook computers are equipped with accelerometers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts