Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

On 2018 and 2019 PHEV EX PREMUIM and SX (in Canada) owners, Do you when driving at night, have constantly people flashing their high beams to you ?

The standard lights seem's too bright or too much elevated. Did you had to get them adjusted because the angle was too high ?

i wonder if the recall on the 2019 Forte will touch the Niro too!

RECALL SUBJECT: Incorrect Low Beam Aiming/FMVSS 108
Report Receipt Date: OCT 31, 2018
NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V771000
Component(s): EXTERIOR LIGHTING
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,754
Manufacturer: Kia Motors America

NOVEMBER 2018 -- Kia Motors America (Kia) is recalling certain 2019 Kia Forte vehicles equipped with LED headlights. The headlights may not have been manufactured with the correct low beam aiming. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 108, "Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment." If the headlights are not properly aimed, the driver may have reduced visibility, increasing the risk of a crash. Kia will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the headlight aiming and replace the headlights, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin November 30, 2018. Owners may contact Kia customer service at 1-800-333-4542. Kia's number for this recall is SC171. Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, they are aimed too high. (actually, I don't think these change where they point, but there are "shutters" that go up and down to limit the high range of the lights) Adjusting them is not too difficult. Just requires a screwdriver and parking in front of a wall. I parked in my garage and marked where the lights hit the wall with tape. Then adjusted both left and right down about 1 1/2". Then drove around to test. I could actually see where the LED low-beams would hit cars I was following (on the trunk is good, into the back window not good) and fine-tuned a little back in the garage. Of course, on-coming cars will continue to let you know if they are still too high.

What's annoying me lately are the brand new pickup trucks with LED headlamps that have been lifted/bigger tires without adjusting the headlamps down!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely aimed too high. Pity they can't use the radar and LKAS cam to gather data to dim the headlights when they are reflecting strongly. Adjusted as they are currently, I not only blind oncoming drivers, but pulling up behind a white vehicle blinds me! Going to get them adjusted down a little.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, they are aimed too high. (actually, I don't think these change where they point, but there are "shutters" that go up and down to limit the high range of the lights) Adjusting them is not too difficult. Just requires a screwdriver and parking in front of a wall. I parked in my garage and marked where the lights hit the wall with tape. Then adjusted both left and right down about 1 1/2". Then drove around to test. I could actually see where the LED low-beams would hit cars I was following (on the trunk is good, into the back window not good) and fine-tuned a little back in the garage. Of course, on-coming cars will continue to let you know if they are still too high.

What's annoying me lately are the brand new pickup trucks with LED headlamps that have been lifted/bigger tires without adjusting the headlamps down!!
I looked for where to make this adjustment all around the LED headlamp housing. I see a Right/Left label with a hole that is obviously where you would use your screwdriver to adjust that parameter. I also see a Up/Down labe but where it looks like there should be a hole, it is solid, not punched out. Therefore I can't find or see anywhere to make a screwdriver adjustment for the height aiming. Can you either explain a little more detail of where you made the adjustment or take a picture of where and what yours looks like to see if I'm just missing something? Many thanks

·
Registered
266 Posts
Type "rage" into search box at top of this forum for a lengthy discussion on this topic. Most instructive posts are 23 & 25.
I adjusted mine as suggested in posts #23 & 25. Very easy. I turned driver's side down about 1 full turn & passenger 3/4 turn initially. No more flashes, but they seemed just a bit too low. So I readjusted drivers to 3/4 turns & passenger to 1/2 turn. Note: I have the beam a tad higher on passenger side.
Haven't had a chance to drive at nice since to see if I get flashed, but this is super easy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts