Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2019 Niro PHEV with 3,500 miles on it as of today. Everything is fine on it as far as the vehicle oil level etc. I estimate engine has run for about 500 miles - the rest of the miles are running on electric. The vehicle has been in service for 4 months

I am interested in how other PHEV owners are handling their oil change intervals. Do you guy follow the severe duty schedule for oil change or the regular interval?

One part of me says follow the severe duty schedule and change out the oil, common sense tells me the oil will have maybe 500 miles on it.

Maybe for warranty purposes the severe duty schedule trumps everything else?

I will do my own oil changes as the only competent KIA dealer in my area is 60 miles away. That's a 2 hour drive to and from for an oil change not counting an hour or two waiting time. I can do it in 20 minutes in our garage. If the Dealer was closer I would probably let them do it. I already have a KIA brand oil filter and 0-20W synthetic oil.

Thanks in advance for your experiences and replies!

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Just under 3 months and getting close to 3000 miles. But since my driving doesn't meet their (KIA's) definition of severe, I'm going to stick with their 7500 mile service requirement. I even checked on that this morning, because I received an email from KIA suggesting I might be due for service. Not sure how many miles they think I drive in a month, but I did log into the user portal and it confirmed a 7500 mile oil change interval. Since it's a lease, I absolutely want to ensure I follow their schedule. But even though there are 3 KIA dealerships within 30 minutes of my home I'll still be doing the oil change myself. Old habits die hard. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
You'll want to follow pretty closely to the recommended schedule during your warranty period to stay compliant. Keep all your records and receipts to prove the maintenance was done if you DIY. After your warranty is over, then do whatever you want (7500, 10000, 15000, etc.)

I wish Kia had based the oil change interval off of the gas miles and not the total miles like Ford and Chevy does with their PHEVs. I owned a Volt back in the day and you could go a max of two years between oil changes unless the computer told you to do it sooner. It based the mileage off of the gas miles, not the total miles. Since most of my miles in the Volt were electric, I could go about 18 months before the computer would tell me it was time for a change.

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
Amen to keeping receipts. My GTI spun a rod bearing. Since it was covered under the CPO warranty, I needed to prove I changed the oil regularly. While I hadn't saved my receipts, I did buy my oil and filters from O'Reilly Auto parts, and used my Rewards card when I bought them. Their web site allows one to retrieve past purchases, and that gave me the proof of the dates I changed the oil, which VW accepted them. Would have been $10,000 out of my pocket if I hadn't come up with the proof of purchase. Instead I had a $50 co-pay. Yeah, I'll take it! :)

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to start a folder on my desktop and scan my receipts into it. Great experience about having some way to access the receipts to prove the service was done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My dealer tells me I must have oil changed every six months. My car and the manual both say every 7500 miles, no mention of time (it usually takes me at least 18 months to accumulate 7500 miles). I don’t plan on keeping my Niro, so it probably doesn’t matter. But, shame on Kia for wasting resources. Every modern car car with an ICE engine should be able to determine proper oil change intervals.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yesterday I took my 2018 PHEV (3,800 miles) into KIA for an oil change the first time since I purchased it in July 2018. The service tech also performed a multi-point vehicle inspection and an SA382 IGPM charging door operation logic covered under warranty. The oil change with state tax came to $89 which is the most I've ever paid for a dealer oil change. The service rep acknowledging my 1.5 hour drive to the dealership told me I could get an oil change closer to my home and be sure to save the receipt for warranty purposes. I thanked him but said once per year isn't a hardship and that I want to keep the car current with warranty fixes and computer updates. The last thing he told me was the 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance would be important and estimated it would cost me around $350. It's a ways off but I'll check my owner's manual to confirm.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mine cost $49 at the local Kia dealer, with synthetic oil. $49 is already steep, even for southern California. I can't imagine paying $89 for an oil change.

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
My Outback 3.6R was about $90 the first oil change. I went to a different dealer for my 2nd change, simply because my selling dealer didn't have any service slots available on the day I had available. They did it for free since it was the first time I had used their dealership. That impressed me. However, I traded it for my Niro that afternoon. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yesterday I took my 2018 PHEV (3,800 miles) into KIA for an oil change the first time since I purchased it in July 2018. The service tech also performed a multi-point vehicle inspection and an SA382 IGPM charging door operation logic covered under warranty. The oil change with state tax came to $89 which is the most I've ever paid for a dealer oil change. The service rep acknowledging my 1.5 hour drive to the dealership told me I could get an oil change closer to my home and be sure to save the receipt for warranty purposes. I thanked him but said once per year isn't a hardship and that I want to keep the car current with warranty fixes and computer updates. The last thing he told me was the 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance would be important and estimated it would cost me around $350. It's a ways off but I'll check my owner's manual to confirm.
Hawke: That seems pretty reasonable to me in W WA. Getting the full inspection (assuming they actually do it rather than just check the boxes) gives a bit of assurance nothing it heading south in a hurry. Which dealer did you go to?

·
Registered
332 Posts
My dealer tells me I must have oil changed every six months. My car and the manual both say every 7500 miles, no mention of time (it usually takes me at least 18 months to accumulate 7500 miles). I don’t plan on keeping my Niro, so it probably doesn’t matter. But, shame on Kia for wasting resources. Every modern car car with an ICE engine should be able to determine proper oil change intervals.
Honestly, based on Consumer Reports & Bobstheoil guy, probably 90% of the cars in the last 20 years should be able to go a year or 7,500 - 10,000 between changes using synthetic oil without significant wear and tear on the engine. :nerd: But oil changes can make money maker for the dealers & it gets the customer in the service bay where they can find other things to bill out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
This is what I discovered, every 10K miles between oil changes (see attached)
Interesting. Not sure why the recommendations for Europe and the US would be different but here we are.

·
Super Moderator
576 Posts
Mine is simple.!! I cut the apple in half. Since i do ~ 10.000 miles (16.000km) each year and have 2 free oil change a year for life, i go twice.. One in Autumn and Spring... and since the car comes with the synthetic 0w20 oil, this is what they have to put in, so no extra! Is life sooooo beautifull! :whistle::love:

·
Registered
6 Posts
======================
” the 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance would be important and estimated it would cost me around $350. ” That is not expensive at all? Is this for the time only or parts only?
With 30,000 mile, for me it will be in 5 years! :) 😆
What is the hourly cost for mechanics? $100.00 Ph ?

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
======================
” the 30,000 mile scheduled maintenance would be important and estimated it would cost me around $350. ” That is not expensive at all? Is this for the time only or parts only?
Many car dealers do charge close to, if not over, $100 per hour shop rate. Of course, that's nothing close to what the tech themselves receive. And that's what has car dealers worried about EVs, they simply don't need the same level of service. Rotate the tires, wheel alignments, flush the brake fluid every 3 years, and that's about it mechanically. Of course, anything non-powertrain related is still about the same as a regular car. And hybrids and EVs have brakes that can go for well over 100,000 miles without replacement under normal conditions.

·
Registered
448 Posts
======================
I agree with what atc98092 wrote, but I'll take it a little further.

Consider a different dealer, or consider approaching them differently when stating what you want to have done.

In my 2018 PHEV owner's manual, there are a number of "inspect" requirements, and a small number of "change" requirements for the 22,500 maintenance. Did you have that done at that time? If not, you should consider having the "change" requirements done now.

In my 2018 PHEV owner's manual, everything in the 30k maintenance is just "inspect". If you take your car in for just an oil change, they're likely to do a lot of the "inspect" stuff for free, because if they find anything wrong, they can tell you that they found a problem and you should have it addressed (and then they can bill you or Kia for the work). But they won't necessarily do everything listed under 30k maintenance for free.

What I see on the 22,500 maintenance schedule that might actually cost some money:
  1. Change the oil (good for about $40 at my dealer, less if I remembered to bring a coupon)
  2. Change the engine clutch actuator fluid: this seems to run around $100, plus or minus about $20. A lot of people on this forum have done it themselves for about $5 and about 5 minutes, albeit the DIYers do it somewhat less correctly than a dealer might, so maybe at 30K it's worth the $100 to have it done professionally if it hasn't already been done.
  3. Rotate the tires. You might consider doing that yourself if you have the tools and desire, or you might get it done less expensively somewhere else.
  4. Add fuel additive: you don't necessarily need this if you regularly use "Top Tier Gas". But if you don't regularly do that, you can probably save yourself a certain amount of money by going to an Auto Parts store, Walmart, or even the dealer's parts window, purchasing the additive, and dumping it into the fuel tank your self. I'm pretty sure that the dealer will charge you a premium for dumping additive into your tank. The hardest thing about doing that yourself is removing the foil liner from the bottle top (use a knife and take care to prevent allowing any of the foil from entering the fuel tank).
Perhaps the most important "inspect" thing they can do at 30k is inspect the HSG belt, but that's probably something they will do automatically if you just bring it in for an oil change, because it's easy for them to do. Some of the 30k inspect things that they might not do automatically are "inspect air conditioning refrigerant", "Inspect steering gear box, linkage and boots (and the ball joints)" because inspecting those things requires a bit more time and unless they have an impression that those things are having problems on other people's Niro's, they might not want to spend the time to do it for free.

As I write this, I'm reminded of an incident that happened years ago, where my manager and I brought an old school bus into a dealer for service. My manager asked them to change the oil, change the axle fluid, and inspect the engine mounts (I heard him request those three things). A few days later, we got the bus back from the dealer and sent it to the beach with a load of kids on board. It got half way there and two of the engine mounts broke and the bus died by the side of the road. The dealer later admitted that even though they charged us for checking the engine mounts, they didn't actually do the work, because the mechanic believed that they never had a problem. So my point is that even when you ask your dealer to inspect all of these things, and even when they write on the invoice that they did it, maybe they didn't actually do it.

(My manager was an amazing guy. After he rented a replacement bus and sent the kids on their way to the beach in that, he and I had to figure out how to get that old bus back to the dealer. He took the bumper jack out of the Pontiac that I was driving, laid it across the front leaf springs (after jacking up the engine with the bus' tire jack) and used that to support the engine. We had a couple of steep hills to traverse on the way to the dealer and the engine kind of torked around under strain when sitting on the bumper jack, so he drove a 2x4 in between the right fender and the exhaust manifold, and he managed to drive it that way all the way to the dealer about 30 miles away. I've always admired him for that, and for a lot of other things too.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts