Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the phev transmission shift gears in EV mode? i thought it just locked up since EVs typically don’t have transmissions but occasionally the car feels like it is.

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
Yes, but not often. Unless you're climbing a hill or placing a similar heavy load on the EV motor, it generally remains in one gear. Judging how the gear indicator always shows 5 when I first switch to Sport Mode (regardless of the gear the transmission is actually in) makes me think that 5th gear is the primary EV Mode gear. It would make sense since the E motor has such strong low end torque, so they can minimize any gear shifting. I'm sure there's no problem actually using the transmission in EV mode, but most drivers are likely expecting the smooth, no shift of a full EV. I just wish I could control the transmission gear manually, without having the ICE fire up. There's some hills near my home I cannot climb in EV mode, but I'm certain that if I could drop a gear I'd climb it easily.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, but not often. Unless you're climbing a hill or placing a similar heavy load on the EV motor, it generally remains in one gear. Judging how the gear indicator always shows 5 when I first switch to Sport Mode (regardless of the gear the transmission is actually in) makes me think that 5th gear is the primary EV Mode gear. It would make sense since the E motor has such strong low end torque, so they can minimize any gear shifting. I'm sure there's no problem actually using the transmission in EV mode, but most drivers are likely expecting the smooth, no shift of a full EV. I just wish I could control the transmission gear manually, without having the ICE fire up. There's some hills near my home I cannot climb in EV mode, but I'm certain that if I could drop a gear I'd climb it easily.

When you switch to sport mode it shows S, not a 5.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I was about to say the same thing to ATC. He has posted this a number of times and I wondered if he was making just that mistake. It is also possible that if you are in 6, shifting mode to sport will cause a downshift making ATC think he started in 5.

I would have mentioned this possibility earlier but it always seemed off topic to the thread at hand.

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
I'm certainly willing to admit I'm wrong if that's the case. Perhaps the font does make the S and the 5 appear close. I'll pay attention next time, but I do appreciate being corrected. One thing I strive for when posting online is accuracy.

All that said, I still think they are using too high of a gear, simply to meet the understandable expectation of shiftless, smooth acceleration. Performance would be greatly enhanced (with likely little impact on energy consumption) if it could be dropped a gear below 30-40 MPH, or when the power level is held right at the top of the green arc, just before the ICE fires up to assist with acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
I was about to say the same thing to ATC. He has posted this a number of times and I wondered if he was making just that mistake. It is also possible that if you are in 6, shifting mode to sport will cause a downshift making ATC think he started in 5.
When I've enabled sport mode and manually shifted, I've seen the gear readout vary. It never seems to be coming from the same gear, but then I shift into Sport mode at widely variable speeds. If I'm going fairly slow, shifting into sport will usually cause the car to quickly accelerate with no change in throttle pressure, along with the corresponding noise from the ICE. Manually shifting up will usually indicate a shift into 3rd or 4th. And it will do this even if I'm in HEV mode and the engine is already powering the car.

Anyway, sliding a little closer back on topic, yes the DCT will shift in EV mode, but not very often. Again, I wish I could control the gear it uses at times. However, unless you're on a freeway on-ramp or climbing a big hill, the default gearing overall works pretty well, so shifting isn't often necessary.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
In EV mode, I'm not convinced that the gear you are in will make a substantial difference to performance. As you know, BEVs do not have a transmission (other than a single step down). I suspect the gear shifts are only done to enable possible ICE engagement at a suitable RPM.

On a similar topic, can you engage sport mode in EV and shift gears without ICE engaging?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm certainly willing to admit I'm wrong if that's the case. Perhaps the font does make the S and the 5 appear close. I'll pay attention next time, but I do appreciate being corrected. One thing I strive for when posting online is accuracy
fooled me too when i first got mine. i always downshifted my subaru to brake it. the first time i moved over to sport i saw 5 and then went down expecting 4 and got 3. surprised the **** out of me because i wasn’t expecting that much decel plus the atkinson is pretty noisy at high rpms. finally figured it out and started upshifting when i switched to see what gear it was in and then downshifted. i only do it occasionally now because i figure i’m better off using the brake pedal to get the strong regen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
fooled me too when i first got mine. i always downshifted my subaru to brake it. the first time i moved over to sport i saw 5 and then went down expecting 4 and got 3. surprised the **** out of me because i wasn’t expecting that much decel plus the atkinson is pretty noisy at high rpms. finally figured it out and started upshifting when i switched to see what gear it was in and then downshifted. i only do it occasionally now because i figure i’m better off using the brake pedal to get the strong regen.
That much decel from engine braking? I learned on a test drive specifically trying downshifting for speed control that decel is extraordinarily wimpy. Haven't bothered since. Regen is lots stronger.

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
In EV mode, I'm not convinced that the gear you are in will make a substantial difference to performance. As you know, BEVs do not have a transmission (other than a single step down). I suspect the gear shifts are only done to enable possible ICE engagement at a suitable RPM.

On a similar topic, can you engage sport mode in EV and shift gears without ICE engaging?
Nope, Sport Mode also engages the ICE, with no method or turning it off. That would be ideal if it could be done.

But a downshift can absolutely improve EV acceleration. I have felt it climbing the hill to my home, feeling the motor struggle to accelerate, then I feel a downshift and the car begins accelerating, with a noticeable decrease in the power consumption on the gauge. And the ICE will not start as long as I keep the power gauge in the green section. With the lower gear, you get the advantage of a higher torque multiplication factor. The car would run out of top end speed, same as with the ICE, which is why they normally use a higher gear selection for most EV driving.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
As a point of interest, during my attempt to run out of gas, I put the car in Sport mode for an extended period trying to run out of gas faster. Other than throttle response (although I was mostly in cruise control), it was difficult to tell the difference in my HEV. It stayed in EV just as long as it did in normal drive mode, and I saw no discernible difference in current mpg in both EV and hybrid mode. I did kick it a couple of times and of course that did trigger ICE. Never tried changing gears though.

·
Super Moderator
488 Posts
With the PHEV, the behavior in Sport Mode is quite different than leaving it in normal mode. Engaging the HEV button does make the ICE run much more than PHEV mode, naturally. But in Sport mode I find the ICE running much more than in HEV mode. Of course, on the PHEV using Sport Mode also will slowly charge the battery, so that too will cause the ICE to run more. And yes, the throttle response is much sharper in Sport mode. Dare I say it, it's actually a little sporty. :D

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I did a fast run today. Maps said 65 minutes, did it in 50 minutes at 75-85 mph. Felt like the old days, but with a car that was faster and basically handled well for its economy status. Most interestingly, I did a full throttle pass (OK, weave) with just inches to spare from the car in front (passenger found that, ahem, exhilarating) and while AEB alarm went off, it didn't override full throttle or brake. Quite happy about that, and now I know. Couldn't believe I got to the must be there on time event - I actually called them and told them I would be 15 minutes late.

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the PHEV, the behavior in Sport Mode is quite different than leaving it in normal mode. Engaging the HEV button does make the ICE run much more than PHEV mode, naturally. But in Sport mode I find the ICE running much more than in HEV mode. Of course, on the PHEV using Sport Mode also will slowly charge the battery, so that too will cause the ICE to run more. And yes, the throttle response is much sharper in Sport mode. Dare I say it, it's actually a little sporty. :D
Have been running on EV as much as possible since I got the PHEV on Monday and even achieved a 999 mpg on the first day. Today I decided to have a little fun on sport mode for a stretch about 2 miles or so, and found it to be quite pleasing. The handling and response are good ( maybe because im coming from a minivan lol ), and although I do find the gear change ever so slightly bit jerky, Im very pleased overall considering this is a Kia. This car over the past week have been a thrill to drive and knowing that it can handle somewhat like a sport car if i want to is really exciting!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Northern Ohio, where it's extremely flat... so flat, it's downright boring... From a stand-still, on a long stretch of farmland road, I got into 4th gear, strictly on electric, before I bumped the gas, and the ICE kicked in... so, yeah, in EV mode, it goes through gears normally... just takes a long-ass time to get there...;-)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts