Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to the community.

I'm Daniel Santos, the developer of an Android App called the "PHEV Watchdog" (freely available on the playstore)

It's essentially a monitoring tool which retrieves through the communication OBD2 port the car's data and shows this on the App.
It will show the actual battery status (charge, health, voltage, temperature, etc...), cells, e-motors, and engine.
It will also keep track of the battery degradation and all your trips recorded with the App.

Beside that, the App syncs to a online server which consolidates all data between all users.
Look for phevwatchdog.net website and to see the live data, use user: showme password: showme):phevwatchdog.net

I've developed this for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but lately I've been asked by other to support the KIA PHEV models.

In order to do this I'll need the help of KIA PHEV owner's has I do not have myself a KIA.
I've been doing some progress with the help of two owners for the OPTIMA PHEV and Niro HEV, but I'm missing the support for the Niro PHEV.

If someone with a Niro PHEV who has an OBD2 adapter (necessary, so the App can communicate with the car) is willing to provide me some help, please contact me.

I'm only interested on PHEV's now, as I believe there's not too much work to add support to other PHEV models, but afterwards the plan is to add support to the EVs models.

[email protected]

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
581 Posts
If you decide to branch out to the iOS, I'd be happy to assist. I had an Android phone but for several reasons (none that related to any issues I had with Android) I had to switch to Apple. Not my favorite company, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you.

But it's a personal project and I'm doing this on my spare time and not having much more of it really limits my options for the platform.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Too bad about the IOS. They are more willing to pay for apps than the Android market.

You will find a larger audience on this forum. International but British origin for Hyundai Ioniqs (exact same drivetrain and OBD function). Tons of PHEVs, and the international nature of the forum may mean a higher percentage of Android users.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Too bad about the IOS. They are more willing to pay for apps than the Android market.

You will find a larger audience on this forum. International but British origin for Hyundai Ioniqs (exact same drivetrain and OBD function). Tons of PHEVs, and the international nature of the forum may mean a higher percentage of Android users.
Thank you. I've posted on the Ioniq forum also.
I do get the "iOS" question a lot, nothing against it but it's really a question of not having the time to maintain both developments.
I'm actually only considering adding the KIA/Hyundai PHEVs because I'm convinced that there shouldn't be to much changes to the App.

The App is Ad based, but free for use and fully functional.
Syncing/accessing to website does requires a contribution (5€ minimum), that's because I actually have costs to keep the Server running (maintenance and resources).

As the App/website keeps track of all data read it's been very useful for the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV's users to be able to reclaim about abnormal battery degradation issues, several of them had they battery replaced after proving the actual degradation was declining fast bellow the accepted limit.

Not sure how the degradation evolves for KIA but for the Outlander the estimation is very pessimistic and haven't made owners very happy about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Little update on development.

So at this phase, I'm trying to gather all the necessary data from the OBD2 interface before adding the support to the App.

At this time I'm aiming for Kia Optima PHEV, Kia Niro PHEV and HEV, Hyundai Ioniq PHEV.

I made an huge progress with the Kia Optima PHEV, at this I'm only missing the e-motor torque.

Also well ahead for the Hyundai Ioniq PHEV, missing the fan speed and e-motor torque.
Strangely the Ioniq doesn't provide the MAF sensor readings, which would be necessary for fuel consumption. I'll have to find some other value to support this.

I'm missing someone with a Kia Niro PHEV and an OB2 adapter which could help, so no development at the moment for it.

Still trying to find some mandatory values for the Kia Niro HEV, like the odometer, State of Health and e-motor torque.

So, I've already started to modify the App, hopefully it will not take me too much time to release it.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a 2018 PHEV, and an Android phone, but while I've been thinking about getting an OBD2 adapter, I haven't done that yet. Is there a particular adapter you'd care to suggest?

I'm a software developer too, though I don't have much experience with Android and I have zero experience with automotive/ODB2 software technology. I only have a little reluctance to try out new software on my phone, but I have rather a lot of concern when it comes to plugging new software into my car. What sort of assurances can you suggest that would help me to become more comfortable with your proposition?

Feel free to PM me, or let me know if you can't do that.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
So the OBD device merely accesses a data stream, it doesn't change or alter system software. Apps are take the data and read it and display the data they understand. Some apps, notably Torque Pro, offer a lot of customization necessary for manufacturer custom data codes and special data from EV systems. What niche developers do is offer apps already customized for specific cars.

The reason these apps are so appealing to iOS users is that Torque Pro is not available for iPhones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts