Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for developing this product. Looks like a lot of good information can be pulled thru your app.

Will we be able to display this information on the entertainment display thru Android Auto? It would be cool to have this extra information available while driving without having to look at smart phone.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
A device to hold your phone at near eye level (above the car display even) is only a few bucks. Then you can keep your car display for its many other uses at the same time.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks for developing this product. Looks like a lot of good information can be pulled thru your app.

Will we be able to display this information on the entertainment display thru Android Auto? It would be cool to have this extra information available while driving without having to look at smart phone.
I doubt it. Android auto is pretty limited in what apps it allows on the car's screen. In fact, from a discussion on Google's support pages:

Sadly not possible (at least not yet).
Indeed the SDK does exists and you can create 3rd party apps for Android Auto, but this is only available to selected partners. I'm asking Google for almost 2 years now to get my 3rd party app approved but no joy.
Even if you get your hands on the SDK, you cannot upload 3rd party apps to PlayStore and even if you manually install a 3rd party app on the phone, it won't show up on your car/headunit due to restrictions imposed by Google.
Makes sense to me otherwise some wiseguy would create a Youtube hack so he could watch videos on the infotainment screen. Bad idea and I'm sure Google wants no part of that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Quick update on the devolpment.

I'm about (shouldn't take long) to release the new version of the App, where I've added support for the NIRO PHEV.

It will be experimental in this version but I've tested with the help of some users and it seems to work quite good.

So stay tuned, I'll be announcing here the release on the playstore (Android only).

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Tempted to get a used Android just for either this app and/or Torque Pro. Can't be that much to get something functional and reliable.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Tempted to get a used Android just for either this app and/or Torque Pro. Can't be that much to get something functional and reliable.
I've had the same thought. A few too many other priorities right now, unfortunately.
Walmart has a pretty decent 'droid tablet for $99. Link

Heck, I already have a Pixel 2 and that would be a pretty cool thing to have as a dedicated OBD reader.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
14 Posts
Quick update on the devolpment.

I'm about (shouldn't take long) to release the new version of the App, where I've added support for the NIRO PHEV.

It will be experimental in this version but I've tested with the help of some users and it seems to work quite good.

So stay tuned, I'll be announcing here the release on the playstore (Android only).
Thanks for your hard work, Let me know if you need any more testers. I have 2020 Kia Niro Phev and I am a android user.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hello guys.

Happy to announce the latest version of the App (which adds support for the Kia Niro PHEV) is published on the playstore.

Please check the info on the website and you can install the App from there.

PHEV Watchdog Android monitoring App

I'll be happy to help and receive your feedback.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hello guys.

Happy to announce the latest version of the App (which adds support for the Kia Niro PHEV) is published on the playstore.

Cool! I'll definitely install and give it a try. Thanks for the hard work!

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro Phev SX Touring (EX Premium USA)
14 Posts
Hello guys.

Thanks for the hard work, i been using your APP with my 2020 Kia Niro Phev for over 2 weeks and it been great.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks Mike.

Feel free to share your experiences and any questions you may have.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts